Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to replace wheel bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The wheel has done around 70 rotations in three seconds at 60mph so it is hard to determine the cause if it is only felt in an interval like that. I would get them balanced first and possibly check the alignment before replacing the bearings. Like was mentioned above, just give the wheels a little tug to see if there is any play.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same problem in my 99. its 102k on it now. But it is driving me nuts. Its crazy how annoying it is. I will check my tie rods out for sure.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:24 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by pluslt
Stallion did you get this resolved? Looking into the same issue with mine. Checked for play in the 12-6 for bearing and 3-9 for tie rods neither of which have any play on either side. I do know for a fact that one of my wheels is every so slightly bent (like in the thousandths of an inch) but a Hunter machine picked up on it. So one course of action is to have that worked on. Funny though I did not notice this intermittne pulsation/vibration whatever you want to call it until I had new tires put on this spring and an alignment done.
About a month ago I had my appointment to get the car re-balanced using the Hunter's machine and it made a world of difference! My car still has a slight vibration but we traced it down to a sizing issue. Since I'm running Ruff racing wheels that weren't originally made for a vette, the bore size was off and so was the backspacing in the rear. I already had the hub rings to correct the bore issue and 10mm spacers in the rear, but what the mechanic discovered is that instead of needing 4 hub rings (one fore each wheel) I needed 6 hub rings (an extra 2 for the spacers). When I got the spacers I had to get the center bore machined to vette spec at 70.3 and it looks like it may have been slightly off and that's what was causing my vibration. I bought an extra set of center rings for the spacers so this should completely cure what's left of my vibration. So looks like it's not a suspension issue as previously thought. If you recently changed wheels or tires that would be the first place to look and go from there...hope this helps
Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM
pluslt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
About a month ago I had my appointment to get the car re-balanced using the Hunter's machine and it made a world of difference! My car still has a slight vibration but we traced it down to a sizing issue. Since I'm running Ruff racing wheels that weren't originally made for a vette, the bore size was off and so was the backspacing in the rear. I already had the hub rings to correct the bore issue and 10mm spacers in the rear, but what the mechanic discovered is that instead of needing 4 hub rings (one fore each wheel) I needed 6 hub rings (an extra 2 for the spacers). When I got the spacers I had to get the center bore machined to vette spec at 70.3 and it looks like it may have been slightly off and that's what was causing my vibration. I bought an extra set of center rings for the spacers so this should completely cure what's left of my vibration. So looks like it's not a suspension issue as previously thought. If you recently changed wheels or tires that would be the first place to look and go from there...hope this helps
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know I've got a bad wheel (according to the hunter machine) so that is one item I've got to address. I just don't like that I didn't notice the issue until I had new tires put on and an alignment done. Skeptic in me I guess. Anwyay I'm replacing my rotors and brakes sometime over the next few weeks as well. (they're sitting in my den right now). Some of what I feel could be from a bad rotor. I know I've got a bad vibration when braking from higher speeds so.....If its still there after that, then this winter I'll have that one wheel that I know is bent fixed and try again next spring. Just not worth my time this year. I'd rather drive it.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:25 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Don't mean to bring up an old thread but have some new info that fixed my problem.

I changed the rear tie rods a couple months ago but that didn't help with my issue. So I took my car to a shop last week and they sent the wheels and tires to a specialty wheel shop. Found the wheels were pretty close to straight and not out of round enough to cause the problem. 2 of the tire beads (1 front & 1 back) had been cut at some point previously. I heard from a reliable source that this can cause air to get in between the belts of the tire and this could cause the vibration. The back tire actually had 2 cuts in the bead and that is where the vibration was coming from. So I bought 2 new tires and had all 4 rebalanced. Drove it yesterday for a little trip and could not feel the vibration anymore. So it was either the air between the belts or the balance was off. I am thinking it was the air because these tires have been on 2 different sets of wheels and it did it on the last set too. Anyway, that is what I found that fixed my problem. Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

145K on original wheel bearings with no issues.
They tend to make noise viabrate when turning or when the weight is shifting from one side of the car to the other... as in a race driver warming up his tires....

But everu 3 second is odd that is every 265 ft at 60 mph.... unlikley to be tire/wheel related.\

I'd be looking at other suspension parts.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

when you put the car in neutral, do you hold the clutch down or do you release it ?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:38 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by DBucklin
I'm having a similar issue as the OP on my car: "pulsating vibration at around 60mph. The vibration is constant, it comes in pulses, Ex: Driving @60mph vibration/pulse happens every 2-3 seconds intervals" It starts about 55mph and gets worse the faster I go. Feels just like a bent wheel in the rear, BUT the wheels and tires are good.

My 2001 convertible has 44,000 miles, it's an automatic. 100% stock. I feel it in the floor and seat - not in the steering wheel, I can't tell if it's on the left side or right side. It has new tires, they were Road Force balanced. No bent wheels, etc. It shouldn't be a tire/wheel problem because I put my tires/wheels on another C5 and his car ran perfectly smooth, then I took his tires/wheels and put them on my car and my vibration was still there. We tested on the exact same road.

I don't know if my car had the vibration before I put new tires on it because it had worn out Goodyear run-flats when I bought it and they were really terrible so I didn't notice.

Here is what I have checked:

* I jacked up the rear of the car and ran it up to 55-70 mph with my tires on and also without any tires at all and it doesn't vibrate.

* Installed the front tires on the rear axle, ran it up to 55-70 on jacks and no vibration.

* While driving on the highway, the vibration is the same if I put the car in neutral, drive, or third gear. Doesn't matter what the engine rpm's are, the vibration doesn't change.

* If I weave left & right going down the highway it doesn't change, still vibrates.

* I checked all tie rod ends and wheel bearings front & rear - all feel tight. 3 & 9, 12 & 6, etc. No rough spots.

* I cleaned all of the wheel to hub surfaces, lug torque to 100 ft lbs. All 4 wheels rotate true on the car.

* I pulled the shocks and they are all tight, and no leaks.

* Vibration is the same going uphill, or downhill (coasting).

I've searched all of the threads here, they mostly point to the hub wheel bearings or tie rod ends. I haven't checked the alignment, but I'm thinking that would cause tire wear problems but not a vibration? It shouldn't be the torque tube or torque converter because the vibration still exists when I shift to neutral and idle at 65mph, and it doesn't vibrate on jack stands?
SO if my tire/wheels are good, and it only vibrates while driving with the weight on all fours down what else can I check?

Any ideas are appreciated!

(Sorry for the long post) - Thanks!
DB
When did it start happening? Did you recently change tires? What brand are you running?

Quick Reply: When to replace wheel bearing???