Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Force Balance is awesome!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM
chill99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Road Force Balance is awesome!

Recently, I put new wheels and tires on the vette. Immediately following, when I would hit about 60 mph, I started feeling vibration, then as I went faster, it got worse. And finally, at about 90 mph it felt bad enough that I didn't want to go faster.

I took it back to my local tire & wheel shop that I've done business with with for years. He rebalanced the front setups, using his method, which I think is old school stuff. The rebalance helped a little, but didn't eliminate the vibration.

So then after reading much about Hunter's Road Force balance equipment on this forum, I contacted the company to find out who in Springfield, Mo had their GSP9700 machine. There were several, but a local shop with an excellent reputation, Rick's Automotive, had one. So I made an appt with them.

They did the road force balance. They told me the wheel/tire setups were all in balance from a dynamic balance point of view, but from a road force point of view the weights were all in the wrong places. So, they put all the weights where they should be. They were skeptical this would fix it since the wheels were in balance to begin with, but wanted me to let them know if it worked.

I immediately went out and hit the interstate hwy. At 60 mph I felt no vibration. Then I ran the car up into triple digits and all was still smooth - you know that feeling when you just want to keep pressing on the gas peddle !!!

Problem solved. Thus I am now in the crowd that highly recommends this type of balance. And all for $52.

The only minor downside is with the dynamic balancing, the weights were all on the inside side of the wheels, so not visible. Now I have weights more to the inside of the wheel, near the spokes, so you can see them. But I'd rather have the balance correct, so I'm still very happy.

Now I can proceed with lowering my 4x4 vette (as some of you have coined it).
Old 04-11-2011, 05:42 PM
C5RClone
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm with you, we have a guy here in Naples, FL and he's a bit of a worrier but when he explained it to me and I tried it, excellent.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I only go to shops with the Hunters Road Force equipment.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a similar experience at America's Tire. They tried twice to balance them. Vibration @ 60 mph. I took it to a local Firestone. They ended up having to break down 3/4 tires, rotate rubber 90 degrees, rebalance. They also noticed that America's Tire had placed the weights in the wrong location (i.e. not centerline).

Now, no more vibration. and no more America's Tire for me.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:38 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrose7004

Get notified of new replies

To Road Force Balance is awesome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Force Balance is awesome!