Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need mechanic help

Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM
convertible lover
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need mechanic help

I have a 2000 vert with about 90,000 miles on it. Not sure maybe two years ago I was running thought some curves and power steering seem to quit. It felt hard to steer. I stopped and checked out everything. It all looked good, took off with no more trouble. Steered great. Then over the weekend while running though some curves on one curve only I felt the steering get hard, next curve it felt fine.
So what am I looking at? Talked to two mechanics today, got two different answers. Am I worried over nothing? Or am I looking at the pump, or rack and pinion going out. Thanks for any help or advice you can give.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:46 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

My bet would be on the pump but you may want to post in the Tech Forum for additional input.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
convertible lover
Racer

Thanks I will do that.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 PM
indy242003
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by convertible lover
I have a 2000 vert with about 90,000 miles on it. Not sure maybe two years ago I was running thought some curves and power steering seem to quit. It felt hard to steer. I stopped and checked out everything. It all looked good, took off with no more trouble. Steered great. Then over the weekend while running though some curves on one curve only I felt the steering get hard, next curve it felt fine.
So what am I looking at? Talked to two mechanics today, got two different answers. Am I worried over nothing? Or am I looking at the pump, or rack and pinion going out. Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Sounds to me like a pump getting hot. I'd check that out.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 PM
convertible lover
Racer

Originally Posted by indy242003
Sounds to me like a pump getting hot. I'd check that out.
How would you be able to tell if that is the problem
Old 04-21-2011, 02:42 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

just another opinion, and that is that perhaps your fluid level is a bit low and while driving curves it sloshes around to the point of actually starving the pump and creating an air pocket in the system (which would disappear when back on level and normal driving conditions. if the fluid is at the normal level, then i would also suspect the power steering pump is getting weak and nearing failure.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 PM
indy242003
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by convertible lover
How would you be able to tell if that is the problem

I don't know for sure and I'm very new to the Vette scene, but I have owned several off road rigs (rock Crawlers), and have some experience in the steering field. A rock crawler will kill PS pumps faster than anything. I have some questions that may help me or someone else determin your solution.

1.) Have you had any service lately to the steering system?

2.) After running the car hard in the twisty's the pump should be warm, but only to about 170-180. Is it smoking hot to the touch?

3.) I am assuming you are not low on fluid, but what does it look like after a hard run? Foamy, frothy?

4.) Is the noticably louder after a hard run?

5.) Are any of the lines pinched or damaged?

It could be several causes to this, but the pump is very delicate when it comes to excessive heat. I have been through my fair share on other HP vehicles and almost always run a cooler to help disapate the heat. They are cheap and worth thier weight in gold if you ask me. Coolers and the best fluid money can buy for the pump your running are a priority for me.

Answer these, and maybe me or someone else will chime in, and try to help you out.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:46 PM
RobertEarl
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it happens during spritted driving around curves, it is probably getting hot. I had the same problem and cured it by adding the power steering cooler to it. Ordered it from Gene and was not much of a problem to add. If you already have a cooler, it might be the pump.

Reb
Old 04-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Del96lt1
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Steering

Don't overlook the simplest thing first. Belt slippage. If your belt is worn or a tensioner is weak it may cause those symptoms. Especially when you're stressing the system. Serpentine belts don't usually squeal like the old "V" belts. Something to look at anyway.

Luck,
John
Old 04-21-2011, 03:54 PM
convertible lover
Racer

I don't know for sure and I'm very new to the Vette scene, but I have owned several off road rigs (rock Crawlers), and have some experience in the steering field. A rock crawler will kill PS pumps faster than anything. I have some questions that may help me or someone else determin your solution.

1.) Have you had any service lately to the steering system?

2.) After running the car hard in the twisty's the pump should be warm, but only to about 170-180. Is it smoking hot to the touch?

3.) I am assuming you are not low on fluid, but what does it look like after a hard run? Foamy, frothy?

4.) Is the noticeably louder after a hard run?

5.) Are any of the lines pinched or damaged?

It could be several causes to this, but the pump is very delicate when it comes to excessive heat. I have been through my fair share on other HP vehicles and almost always run a cooler to help dissipate the heat. They are cheap and worth their weight in gold if you ask me. Coolers and the best fluid money can buy for the pump your running are a priority for me.

Answer these, and maybe me or someone else will chime in, and try to help you out.
1. No it has not been serviced or anything done to it.

2 & 3. I will have to check for heat and if it is foamy or frothy on the next run. As far as being low it is about half way between the full and low mark. I will fill it before the next run.

4. no, there is no noise from it that I can hear.

5. All the lines look OK.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:06 PM
indy242003
Heel & Toe

Have you ever changed the fluid in it? It seems like it's a thermal problem. Most people never change PS fluid. Even people that are very meticulious about evrything else disreguard the PS fluid. It is the same as any other oil and needs to be maintained. Try changing it first and make sure that you bleed the system correctly, make short runs after bleeding, and let it cool off and look in the resi for bubbles. After the first few short runs the bubbles should not be there. See if that helps. It's the low hanging fruit (cheap) to check first. Check back in, and I'll see if I can help you. Hopefully that will get it.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:10 PM
indy242003
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Del96lt1
Don't overlook the simplest thing first. Belt slippage. If your belt is worn or a tensioner is weak it may cause those symptoms. Especially when you're stressing the system. Serpentine belts don't usually squeal like the old "V" belts. Something to look at anyway.

Luck,
John
Good advice here too!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 546 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Could be your steering wheel position sensor too.

Had exactly what you've described in my chevy pickup and it was the "EVO" sensor (electronic variable orifice) that controls how much boost your steering will get based upon speed and other inputs.

I ASSume the Corvette's sensor does much the same.

any codes?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Hit and run......
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM
indy242003
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun
Hit and run......
I'd like to know what caused this myself.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 PM
convertible lover
Racer

I'd like to know what caused this myself.
Me to, I changed the oil yesterday, I will see if that helps I will be going on a run this weekend, hope it don't give me anymore trouble. What I am afraid of is I have a couple of long trips planned for the next couple of months. If It goes out a thousand miles from home, it will cost me twice as much to get it fixed than it would at home.

Get notified of new replies

To need mechanic help

Old 04-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll take a guess and make an assumption you don't have Z51 option with the power steering cooler.

That is probably your problem like most others suggested, the power steering system is overheating because of the stress your putting on it from driving the "curves" and causing the fluid to boil or close.

Like the others have said, check the complete system out, belts, fluid, sensors; also next time that happens stop and check the steering fluid to see what state it is in. Remember you can check it while hot.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

My CE 'vert has done something like that a couple of times. Not like the power steering was out, but noticeably harder than usual. Happened after driving pretty fast a long time on Interstate then taking one of those tight loop exits.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember folks you have speed sensitive steering, so it will get stiffer at high speed and looser at slow speeds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need mechanic help