2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Question For Those Who Have Owned More Than One Generation Of Corvettes

How well does the C5 hold up in terms of design and performance?

My C5 vert is my first and only (thus far) Corvette. I purchased it new in the summer of 2004 at the end of the model run when I had a chance to compare the C5 next to the newly designed C6. I chose the C5 because I loved the looks and due to the deal I was able to secure compared to the new C6. Since it's debut, the C6 looks (C6Z/Grand Sports especially) have grown on me, however not enough for me to trade in my C5. Most of my friends who did trade their C5s wish they still had it (in addition to their C6).

With the C7 introduction looming (2013?/2014?), will the C5 become the new C4 or will the C5 continue to maintain a strong core following? My concern is whether or not the large amount of C5 aftermarket products will become more and more limited once the C7 is introduced.

I know a few friends of mine who used to own/drive C4s and they told me the C5 was a significant improvement in performance, power and design. Interesting considering the C4 production run was 12 years. The C5 was 8 years and if the C7 bows in 2013, the C6 will also have an 8-year run.

I know many believe that the late model C2 is considered the most classic "Corvette", however for most of us who are under age 50, we can't really appreciate the older models as much.

I plan to keep my C5 while I'm above ground, however also plan to add a C6Z or C7Z to the garage without sacrificing my C5 vert.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've had two C3s (both '79s), four C4s (89, 94, 95) and now three C5s (99, 00, 03). The C5 is a significant improvement over the C3 and C4 platform in just about all areas. It has less parts to break, more power, more ergonomic comfort, better gas mileage and what I consider a classic body style that I feel will be desirable for many years to come.

Performance wise, there are now a lot of other vehicles that rival the C5 in performance. But that comes with any platform that is older than the current one - remember the C5 is anywhere from 7-14 years old. And there are a lot of performance mods out there to help improve the C5 - the only drawback seems to be that new mods are more focused on the newer generation cars.

I considered a C6 when I was looking for my latest Vette, but the price of the C6s was still beyond what I wanted to pay and I ran into a great deal on a very low mileage C5 - so it was just too hard to pass it up. Do I regret not getting a C6 - not really. I am happy with what I have - it has enough power, handling, looks and comfort to keep me smiling every time I get behind the wheel.

Will I get a C6 or maybe C7 someday - good chance I might. You just never know what things may change over time.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I have had a C2, C3, C4 and now the C5. Each generation has it problems. I would say the C2 &C3 were easy to work on and fix, the C4 & C5 have so much electronic that it is a little more involve, although the C5 is not a bad car to work on. There are certain item in the C5 you need to watch out for, such as the Column Lock, which can be avoided with a simply aftermarket part that will eliminate it. Then there is the problem with the HVAC LED's going dim. If I had to pick them in order, it would be the C5, C2 which by the way was a BB 427/425 roadster, C4 and finally the C3. I selected the C5 over the C2 only because it is a much more enjoyable driver with all the creature comforts compared to the C2, but the C2 with the BB torque is a hard one not to love.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
justanotherdoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned a '76 C3, an '84 C4 and '03 C5. I agree with VJ:

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The C5 is a significant improvement over the C3 and C4 platform in just about all areas. It has less parts to break, more power, more ergonomic comfort, better gas mileage and what I consider a classic body style that I feel will be desirable for many years to come.
While I still prefer the lines of the C3, the C5 suggests the same profile more than the C4. I think it will still look good for a long time to come.

Only time will tell whether the C5s will hold up as long as many C2s and C3s have. The multiple computers in the C5 and C6s add a level of complexity that will challange the after-market suppliers in a way that the older analog engines and controls do not. It won't make sense to keep making replacement parts for a car that won't start unless all 11 computers play nice with each other unless you can get replacement computers too.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had four C4's and Two C5's and I can say from personal experience that the C5 is a better engineered, higher performance, more reliable car than the C4 was. Don't get me wrong, I loved the C4's I've had and I still think they are great cars still to this date, however the C5's design at about 15 years old now still looks up to date and in my opinion (unbiased of corse) looks just as good if not better than the C6 (ZO6, GS and ZR1 not included). This too will change after the C7 comes out as the C5/C6 will no doubt look dated as well, thats just natural evolution with all cars, but I think all Corvette generations keep looking good longer than any other car on the road, the designs are timeless and will turn heads no matter what year you drive.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vettmann17
I've had four C4's and Two C5's and I can say from personal experience that the C5 is a better engineered, higher performance, more reliable car than the C4 was. Don't get me wrong, I loved the C4's I've had and I still think they are great cars still to this date, however the C5's design at about 15 years old now still looks up to date and in my opinion (unbiased of corse) looks just as good if not better than the C6 (ZO6, GS and ZR1 not included). This too will change after the C7 comes out as the C5/C6 will no doubt look dated as well, thats just natural evolution with all cars, but I think all Corvette generations keep looking good longer than any other car on the road, the designs are timeless and will turn heads no matter what year you drive.
Depending on which rumor you listen to, the C7 is supposedly an evolution of the C6 design with more focus on the interior quality and creature comforts. As a result, I'm expecting some better curves but not so much a great leap in technology.

I know the Stingray C2s still turn heads and I'm hoping the C5 (which pretty much went unchanged to the naked, non-Corvette eye throughout it's entire run) still turns heads 10+ years down the road.

I've seen some nice, well-mainted C4s, however I've also seen some early model C4s (1984-1986) that have the sharper/blocked fenders that IMO look very dated. I'm just wondering if the C5 will suffer the same fate.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 542 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Having owned three different Corvettes, all three different generations, C2, C4 and C5, I think that my opinion have validity.

My favorite in appearance, without a doubt, is the C2 (64). My favorite in as far as interior comfort was my C4 (94) I loved those seats and felt very comfortable in them for long periods (two separate times we had 11 hour + days, 800+ miles in it), and felt very fresh at the end of it all. But the C5 (01) comes in first overall, Looks, Performance, Comfort. My seats are better now that I have put in new seat covers and foam (still not as comfortable as the 94), the performance is better than either of the others ones and does it with dignity and finesse, rather than brute power as in the 64. The power of the 94 and 01 is so civilized and deceiving, you just don't realize what they are doing or that you are going that fast.

Interior comfort and quality, many will argue shouldn't be an issue in a "sports car", but the purpose of a "sports car" has changed over the years. Today people drive these cars....a lot. I can tell you if I drove my 64 for more than an hour or two at a time, I was BEAT. I loved that car, but it was best for short trips. The 94 made huge gains in that respect. The C5 is much more civilized.

The role of the Corvette has changed over the years and I'm glad that it has, I believe that that is what has kept it alive for nearly 60 years. It still is a powerful car, just more refined. I believe that the C5 will go down as a very desirable car in the future. I love all Corvettes, the solid axle cars, the mid years, the sharks, the C4's (I'd love to have a ZR-1), C5's and C6's. I love to have one of each.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Depending on which rumor you listen to, the C7 is supposedly an evolution of the C6 design with more focus on the interior quality and creature comforts. As a result, I'm expecting some better curves but not so much a great leap in technology.

I know the Stingray C2s still turn heads and I'm hoping the C5 (which pretty much went unchanged to the naked, non-Corvette eye throughout it's entire run) still turns heads 10+ years down the road.

I've seen some nice, well-mainted C4s, however I've also seen some early model C4s (1984-1986) that have the sharper/blocked fenders that IMO look very dated. I'm just wondering if the C5 will suffer the same fate.
Your probably right with the design of the C7 being an evolution of the C6 which was an evolution of the C5. With prevoius gens the Vette was always an all new start from scratch redesign over previous gens, but that ended with the C6 and will most likely continue. IMHO GM has to come out with something all new and with a big WOW factor for Corvette sales to take off. If people arent wowed, they are not going to line up for it, too many unsold C6's sitting on the lot, heck you can still pick up a brand new 09 for a steal from some dealers, I can't remember when dealers had had two year old new cars still on the lot.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:20 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

i currently own a 454 C3 vert and my basically stock 2000. stock my c3 wouldnt come close. now that is has the 454HO motor in it, things are a little more fair but i still believe that the C5 even though it is down 100horses on the 454 would hold its on in a straight line.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have owned a C3 1980 (new), a C4 1992 and my current C5 2004. The C5, in my opinion is the best I have owned. However, I would take a 67 427 tri-power 'vert in a second if I could.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Default Corvettes

I have driven (and sold) all the generations of Corvettes. Have owned C3, C4, now C5. Have also driven the C6. C5 has them all beat. C5 's are the Best ! My .02.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have owned 3 C4's and my current 01 Vert. The C5 is night and day difference from the C4. I do not see the C5 becoming like the C4 as far as popularity. It has a much more timeless design IMO. Everytime I tell someone mine is an 01 they are always really surprised. The C5 will not become a "dated" look. I do agree with the post above...I did love my 96 collector's edition seats because they were much more of a race style seat. You were definitely locked in on the turns. That is probably the only thing I really miss...but can obviously fix that with the new seats I have been looking at
Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
PHIL MEMPHIS
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I've owned C2,C3, and presently have C4 and C5. All our totally different. It would be hard to pick a favorite. The '66 convert was the best looking IMO.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:42 PM
my6thvette
Burning Brakes

I have owned at least one of each generation, C1-C5, and each was an improvement over the previous one. Loved my first C1 but in reality it had a rough ride, rattled and got only 12 mpg on the highway. Required fresh spark plugs every 3-4 K miles, due to lead fouling. However, unlike my C5, they were really easy to change.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I've owned 2 C-2's a C-3 and a C-5.
The C-2's were great, but they were a car of the 60's.
The C-5 is great in most ways.
I wish I still owned my 65 327-365 HP air coupe, but I'd drive it about once a year. I jump in my C-5 on any nice day and drive it like I stole it.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:44 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't seen 1 C6 owner in here saying they would rather have the C5... just saying...
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by my02cents
I haven't seen 1 C6 owner in here saying they would rather have the C5... just saying...
Maybe because this is a C-5 general Area?

Get notified of new replies

To Question For Those Who Have Owned More Than One Generation Of Corvettes

Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Maybe because this is a C-5 general Area?

Agreed, but I'm curious what is better... the C5 or the C6... of course the C5 is better than all the older ones...
Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Agreed, but I'm curious what is better... the C5 or the C6... of course the C5 is better than all the older ones...
it still comes down to who you ask in my opinion.i have owned a 63 split window, several C3's (69 350/350 convertible, and currently a 78 pace car), in addition to a 93 convertible C4 and now also an 04 C5 CE convertible. if you are old enough to remember riding in a C2 (solid axle) you will never forget getting your insides scrambled on each ride, lol. the early (84, 85) C4 models you couldn't get to go in a straight line on any type of road with expansion joints or cracks until they got the suspension fine tuned over the years. the 93 C4 i had was a bear to get out of as you sit below the frame rail and have to kind of bench press yourself out of the car (and there is no way for a lady in a skirt to get out in anything that resembles a ladylike fashion). of all my corvettes, that 93 was the one my wife absolutely hated and preferred not to have to ride in. each generation improved on the previous one as did later year models of the same generations as they were improved and additional "options" were added to the list of creature comforts or performance enhancements. as far as which one has the most "eye" appeal, it still comes down to beauty being in the eyes of the beholder. the early cars were a load more simple from an engineering and mechanical stand point, no heavy options, no computers, etc. i have loved each and every one of the corvettes i have or currently own. i had a choice of the C5 or C6 when i bought, and to this day, i still don't care for the C6 styling and unless something really changes, i could never envision me owning one, still there certainly are items available on the C6 models that would be nice to have as available on the C5 (factory NAV, heated seats, more HP, etc), but to me i still have to overcome not wanting to see that particular styling in MY garage.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:51 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I think we all can agree that with each new generation, the Corvette becomes more powerful and more refined.

I do however know many C6 owners who have very fond memories of their C5 and wish, in hindsight, that they had not traded it in for the C6. Not saying they don't want their C6, they just wish they still had their C5 in addition to their C6.

Side by side, I still think the C5 is the better looking of the two generations although the C6 has the improved performance. The Z06-like body treatements of the Grand Sport really has helped me like the C6 looks better, however the original base coupes and convertibles are not very attractive IMO.

I'm sure many C2 to C3 owners back in the 60s/70s had similar observations.

Quick Reply: Question For Those Who Have Owned More Than One Generation Of Corvettes