Sponsored by:

Transmission growl.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Default Transmission growl.

I typically have the top down, or radio up, or AC blasting and don't hear car noises. For whatever reason I had everything hushed this morning and noticed a slight and steady growl from what seems like behind the waterfall. At first I thought it was tire noise...no, make that I prayed it was tire noise, but it seems closer to the back of the seat and centered. The transmission shifts ok and temps are normal. It changes with speed, but not with shifting (Meaning it does not change pitch and start low again at each gear). It is an A4 car. It is most noticeable between 20 and 45. After that other surrounding noises drown it out. 28k mile car with a gentle history. The only thing I have done to it is change the rotors and pads.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:39 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Old 04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes the bracket/fastener for the exhast, with the springs, before the transmission will rattle at certain RPMs, or your transmission might be low on fluid.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Torque tube bushings? Wheel out of balance? If you hear it on the freeway, at say 60, does it go away when you kick it into neutral?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel pump?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure its the transmission? My differential started to make noise and it got worse until I replaced it.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

I'm not sure it is the transmission. I don't really know what it is. I took it for a ride tonight and took better mental notes. It is loudest between 45 and 60, noticable between 25 and 45. It is speed related, but NOT RPM related. It doesn't really matter what I do, it stays constant. Kicking in to passing gear, trans braking (nothing crazy) staying in our out of overdrive...always the same. It almost sounds like there is a box fan plugged in behind me. Just a low "vrrrrrrr" kind of growl. I thought, foolishly I guess, that a low mile car would be more reliable, less "user induced" problems. It does not seem to be true. I can't say the car has been a problem, but it definitely has low off the line performance and now this problem.

Edit: Another issue that may or may not be related is a high RPM whistle like a TURBO just before each shift. Some kind of air leak? Vacuum? and I had a code that for some STUPID reason I did not write down !!! I was in comp mode when I checked codes so I assumed that was why I got a TCS code (I think it was a TCS code.) Trying to remember all the possible contributing details is tough. Bottom line is a growl at typical driving speeds and a soft launch unless I brake stand it and that's certainly not being gentle. I don't want the car ragged out, but I tried as amny conditions as I could.

I prefer when something just freakin' breaks in half. At least then the guessing is over.

Last edited by Aerovette; 04-26-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 AM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have tire noise. The stock set up for the alingment has the tires leaned quite a bit for cornering. This causes the insides to wear fast, and causes a lot of tire noise as it happens. If you feel the tire, on the inside you might notice a high low wear pattern. My Kumho ecstas have done this, and I had a similar noise. Replaced the fronts and the noise is less and coming from the back now. waiting on back tires but they are backoredered right now....

As far as low launch performance, I have heard that the A4 with a 2.73 does not pop off the line very well. I have an A4, but with 3.15 and have been happy with it. Check your build codes to see what rear, and compare it to someone else with the same setup.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 AM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check wheel bearings also.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

I have decided (for now) to address this by rotating the volume **** on the radio a little further clockwise. That will solve the problem in the short term.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Once it breaks/fails it is much easier to troubleshoot.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Well, I can't ignore the noise anymore. It seems it has gotten a bit louder. I was under the car yesterday and don't see any obvious signs of trouble. Nothing has leaked out, nothing is loose. It is very clean (road dust only) and solid underneath. I can't tell what is going on iside though. Whatever it is is ONLY tied to wheel speed. It is not affected by loading or unloading the drivetrain, coasting or accellerating, braking, lateral moves from serpentine driving, or temerature. It sounds like a box fan is plugged in and running in the trunk. It is not there or audible at very low speed but once I get to about 25 or 30, I hear it. It changes pitch with speed. Not in steps (as in shift points) but constant like a turbine. There is no clunking in the drivetrain, no excessive heat on components. I am starting to feel the "buzz" in the steering wheel and shifter from the noise.

So, what I need from the forum is a reconmmendation of a shop in Houston that I can trust to find the problem and not just start swapping parts. I am considering a place called Lucas Auto since I often drive by and see Corvettes, Ferraris, Porsches, and Lambos being worked on. Anyone have experience with them or even heard of them?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Default UPDATE: Lucas Auto....NEVER !

So I contacted the repair shop I "thought" I wanted to take the car to. What a mistake. This is long, sorry.

My email was responded to by a guy named Gary and we decided I'd come by this evening. What happened was surreal. I met Gary, well it turns out I already knew of him. He sold me a POS 84 Corvette back in the early 90s. Yeah I know POS and 84 seems redundant but this was a real trip to the cleaners he took me on.

Gary says the owner (Tiger?) will take care of me. So Shakey McJitters (I'll use that name from here on out) and his bad Kid Rock hairdo asks what it is that I need. I said I wanted to find out what was wrong with my car and Shakey was about to ride with me when another mechanic that I recognize walks in. He then decides that this guy Chris will ride with me instead. Chris, if you're on this forum, you did good and this is NOT about you.

Chris and I take a short ride and he is pretty sure he knows what's wrong. In fact, he was so quick to diagnose, that I had him listen to another sound I was hearing. He said when we get back to the shop, I need to pop the hood and he'll take a look. I was sold on the place in spite of my past experience with Gary. Time heals most wounds right? I pop the hood and suddenly Shakey McJitters calls Chris in the office and he himself comes out and is being a complete KCID<< to me for some reason. Not sure why. I am not one to hold my tongue, but I was pretty sure they would do the work so I controlled myself. He tells me their labor rate is $110.00 (about 5 times he made this point) and that they would tear everything down and work up the bill. Yeah...ummm no, Homey don't play dat. I want some vague idea at least. I am not entering into an open ended agreement that will be $110.00 to tear it down and $110.00 to build it back because they give me some outrageous estimate. I just wanted to know if I was looking at 2-3 hundred or 2 thousand y'know? So I tried a second approach. I asked him what the price to replace one, and both rear bearings regardless of any discoveries during tear down etc. He says AGAIN, his labor rate is $110.00, followed by "we don't work for free". I grinned and semi-sarcastically responded that as much as I wished it, I was pretty sure before I showed up, they they probably didn't "work for free". He says "Maybe this isn't the place for you." I was stunned. It may "seem" like I have missed a detail here, but this is how it went down. Just like that I get the impression this guy would rather I just leave. He says" So tell me what you are looking for here, what is it you want?" All the while shakin' like the blow has just hit his bloodstream while we are talking. Maybe the guy has a medical condition, not sure. If so, I'll try to feel bad for him, but no promises. Mind you my hood is up and without any prompting, Chris was happy to just poke around a minute and see what the second issue was, but he was stopped by Shakey. I said " Are you trying to tell me the $110.00 starts RIGHT NOW?" and he says YES. I said you are right, this is not the place for me. I shut the hood, got in and drove off. The place has two strkes against it. Shakey and Gary. Rumors on the internet are that thier testimonials of extreme praise are all "inner circle" provided. Chris...thanks buddy. Your boss cost the shop my business but your diagnosis will help me get it fixed.

Shakey owned what I considered a shady Corvette sales office here in Houston long long ago and I think maybe he was spooked by a ghost from his past flipping over the rock he may have been using as camo.

So for those of you that are curious, stay away from Lucas Auto Care. Chris came from a CORVETTE sales specialty shop in HOUSTON. Yep, that one. I don't know him but my two experiences with him tell me he could do better.

>>>>>>>>>>> Readers Digest version:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I know what is wrong and will fix my own car. Azzhats run Lucas Auto.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:26 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i vote torque tube
Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Does anybody know if the bearings going bad will throw a code? My left rear rubbed a wire to the abs sensor and shorted it causing it to produce a code. I'm not sure if a bearing just going out will do this though. I assume you might be able to tell by jacking up the rear, removing the wheels and spinning the hub. If you feel a gritty sensation, the bearing is shot. If smooth it may be something over towards the center of the car like the differential or the torque tube..
Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 PM
mpride
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for sharing the info. One less place to have to worry about.

What the heck do you think the problem is?

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission growl.

Quick Reply: Transmission growl.