Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts on Ace Slick wheels

Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Cryptos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thoughts on Ace Slick wheels

After finally coming to an understanding with my distributor after my purchase of Ace Slick in hyperblack, I wanted to share my thoughts.

I purchased these wheels primarily for the fact that I love the look of the C6 Z06 wheels, however I wanted to have them in the correct offset for the rear of my car. Not being to keen on chrome I found that Ace made a very similarly styled rim in hyperblack. After seeing other types of wheels in a HB and liking the color I made no hesitation to whip out my credit card and make my order.

Now most places I looked didn't carry them in stock so I went ahead and special ordered them. To my surprise a few days later I get a tracking number and just 3 days later they show up at my door step.

Like a kid on christmas I ripped open all 4 boxes...

To my dismay, all four (2x 18, and 2x 19) looked like they had been painted by my 2 year old nephew. Every lip section's paint was nearly transparent with the black primer showing through. Any surface not facing outwards didn't get any paint at all. There were also quite a few spots that actually had runs.

After communicating my concerns with my distributor we came up with 3 legitimate solutions.

1. Send them back and have another set shipped. (Probably would have ended up with the same problems but cost the distributor $600 in unnecessary shipping fees)

2. Send them back and pay the difference for the chrome variety. (Again, not a fan of chrome)

3. Get refunded for the cost of one rear rim and source a local company to refinish the wheels.

I ended up going with option 3, the local painter estimate 2-3 days. He finished them in one. I also got to choose the exact color I wanted, which was a huge plus. In the end it cost me $300 to get them redone of which I'm only getting reimbursed $250. You know what I'm okay with that though, I really did end up getting exactly what I wanted.

My only caution to those looking at the Ace Slicks not in chrome, get ready to have them refinished. They are great looking wheels but for some reason the Q/C seems to think that half painted wheels are still alright for the consumer.

Refinished:

Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,187 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Too bad you had to go through all that hassle with the wheels, but they sure look good now.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

When I got my Ace Slick Wheels in Hyperblack over 6 years ago I had zero issues with them and glad you got them looking like they should have when you got them
Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,668 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by peter pan
When I got my Ace Slick Wheels in Hyperblack over 6 years ago I had zero issues with them and glad you got them looking like they should have when you got them
I love mine and had no problems. I wonder if their manufacturing process changed with different vendors, etc.

Regardless, no excuse. I'm glad the OP was able to resolve the issue to his liking.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who did you get them from? Were you able to get them in a C5 offset (+64)? I have been told that the C5 rear offset has been discontinued and my vendor sent me the C6 offset (+73). I'm having major rubbing issues right now (in part) because of it.

I ordered the hypersilver and got mine powdercoated black because several places said black was no longer being produced at all. Now they're saying that since they're powder coated it's a special order and they won't take back and refund.

I'm trying to negotiate a partial refund to compensate for the hassle I'm going through, any help you can give in clearing up or refuting his statements would be a huge help to me.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

I just got a set of Ace wheels in HB and am very happy with them.
I did however have problems with two wheels. I bought a set with tires mounted and ready to bolt on. One wheel had minor damage that looked like tire installer damage and was sent back for a replacement.
That was replaced by a wheel/tire that had minor damage again, this time Ace's problem.
That was finally straightened out and I am thrilled with my wheels/tires.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Cryptos
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob04C5LM
Who did you get them from? Were you able to get them in a C5 offset (+64)? I have been told that the C5 rear offset has been discontinued and my vendor sent me the C6 offset (+73). I'm having major rubbing issues right now (in part) because of it.

I ordered the hypersilver and got mine powdercoated black because several places said black was no longer being produced at all. Now they're saying that since they're powder coated it's a special order and they won't take back and refund.

I'm trying to negotiate a partial refund to compensate for the hassle I'm going through, any help you can give in clearing up or refuting his statements would be a huge help to me.
I made my purchase from discounttire, I can't exactly vouch for the wheels themselves but the two 19x11 boxes had these stickers on them. I'll know for sure in a couple of days when the tires come in but for now I believe I did actually get the ones with the 63 offset.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! Very helpful.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Cryptos
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve8
You know whats funny is your car was a huge motivator in me buying these wheels. I was really curious in how they would look on my EB coupe and when I stumbled on your pictures they provided a wonderful view on what I could expect.

Kudos on a beautiful machine.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptos
You know whats funny is your car was a huge motivator in me buying these wheels. I was really curious in how they would look on my EB coupe and when I stumbled on your pictures they provided a wonderful view on what I could expect.

Kudos on a beautiful machine.

Thanks, and glad I could help. Sorry for your problems though.
Best of luck moving forward.

Get notified of new replies

To My thoughts on Ace Slick wheels

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My thoughts on Ace Slick wheels