Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convert from climate control to "regular"?

Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Default convert from climate control to "regular"?

The one feature that I didn't really care for when I bought my 99 was the climate control A/C. Now that I drive with it, I see that I REALLY don't care for it. Does anyone know if it's possible to switch to standard controls without it screwing anything up, etc? Is it plug-n-play or is it a huge mess?

I want to be able to just reach over and turn a dial instead of having to push and hold buttons, try to dial in a certain temperature, etc.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I really like my dual zone unit, I believe it is quite a job, Like changing the main unit in the dash and also the unit that is behind the dash.(Duct Control unit). You might try to run yours on manual instead of auto.
Mr.Bill
Old 05-14-2011, 11:33 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I really like my dual zone unit, I believe it is quite a job, Like changing the main unit in the dash and also the unit that is behind the dash.(Duct Control unit). You might try to run yours on manual instead of auto.
Mr.Bill
Argh, I was afraid of that. I do run it on manual, but I guess I'm just too old-fashioned when it comes to cars. I don't want things done for me - other than cruise control.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:45 AM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sir, I feel your pain. The dual-zone unit is a disaster to my mind. Instead of simple ***** and cables, dirt simple and reliable, GM saddles you with an electronic screen, troublesome actuators buried in the dash, miles of wiring and hundreds of components to give you questionable benefits at best. Why do car-makers insist on re-inventing the wheel when all it does is add to the complexity of the car and cause terrible trouble and expense when something goes wrong?

Let's say your actuator(s) goes south and you don't know about the Forum or don't feel comfortable working on it yourself. You take it to the dealer and one of his mechanics rips out your dash for repair. Is your car ever going to be the same after that? What else will he mess up while doing the job, what rattles, squeaks or other problems will you have afterwards? Plus you are going to be looking at a $1000 bill for the work, or more.

Now I'm quite sure that you will not find it possible to replace your dual-zone with the regular system in any sort of cost-effective manner. Besides--and I'm not at all sure on this--isn't the regular non-dual-zone system unnecessarily complex too, using electronic actuators also?

What a nightmare.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:07 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I agree....but, remember you are looking at 1994 technology...a couple years before actual vehicle release to the public. It was the state of the art system for its time. But, I'm willing to bet if you could find a car rebuilder like Foose or some of the other bigtime guys, they could rewire it any way you want. I would love to see one of our vendors take this on and offer it....there would be enough business in it to make it worthwhile, like cold air intakes, etc. Incidentally, the newer systems, such as on my Ford Flex, are worse than ever. Now, if you are trying to keep your air circulating only inside the cabin, it suddenly dumps to outside air on certain days (depending on humidity and temperature)...I hate that, especially when I am following a diesel truck pumping out obnoxious fumes, or driving through smoke from a burning leaf pile. don't they know a large population of owners have asthma? I want full control over what I want, not what some geek comes up with for us.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:11 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rboineau
Sir, I feel your pain. The dual-zone unit is a disaster to my mind. Instead of simple ***** and cables, dirt simple and reliable, GM saddles you with an electronic screen, troublesome actuators buried in the dash, miles of wiring and hundreds of components to give you questionable benefits at best. Why do car-makers insist on re-inventing the wheel when all it does is add to the complexity of the car and cause terrible trouble and expense when something goes wrong?

Let's say your actuator(s) goes south and you don't know about the Forum or don't feel comfortable working on it yourself. You take it to the dealer and one of his mechanics rips out your dash for repair. Is your car ever going to be the same after that? What else will he mess up while doing the job, what rattles, squeaks or other problems will you have afterwards? Plus you are going to be looking at a $1000 bill for the work, or more.

Now I'm quite sure that you will not find it possible to replace your dual-zone with the regular system in any sort of cost-effective manner. Besides--and I'm not at all sure on this--isn't the regular non-dual-zone system unnecessarily complex too, using electronic actuators also?

What a nightmare.
Yes, its a horror show.

What you need is one of those hot rods. A model T with an LS3 motor. No windows, no top, no hood, even. The wind in your hair, the bugs in your teeth.

Back to those thrilling days of yesteryear!

Get notified of new replies

To convert from climate control to "regular"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: convert from climate control to "regular"?