Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z's Oil Change. Front Of Car Raised = Not All Oil Drained Out??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 AM
NEED2SPEEDLS1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Z's Oil Change. Front Of Car Raised = Not All Oil Drained Out??

I know there are tons of threds on here about if all the oil drains out if you use ramps or have the front end up to do your oilchange and I've read most of em, so i apologize if anyone gets frustrated but I haven't gotten a straight answer! Half of the people say yes, other no, just like everything else huh, Haha.

It does seem like that's true, with the front end raised and the drain plug being in the front of the pan, makes it hard to believe it gets everything out. I Did my oil change using race ramps in the front, and it did seem like all of it came out, atleast I hope so. I couldn't get my Jack under the back to level the car out! If this is the case and some oil is left in the pan, how much we talking? I filled the car up and it took the usual amount of oil, backed the car down off the ramps and made sure oil was full.

There's also alternatives I wanted to try for my next oil change. Maybe raise the front, pop the plug loose, back the car onto the race ramps then squeeze my arm and take the plug out, then vise versa to tighten the plug. I'm just worried about the front of the car scraping while backing up on the ramps.

I just want to be safe and make sure no harm is being done on the car. I even flush a quart or 2 through to get everything out. My royal purple oil and k&n oil filter hardly see 3 thousand miles before changing, I know it can last longer but I change it every 4 or 5 months.

Any input on this would be great!! And again I apologize for a repost.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

With the front on jack stands or ramp, use a floor jack to raise the rear of the car after the drain plug's been removed. Drop rear of car when no more oil runs out.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When the front of the car is up on the ramps, you still should be able to get a low profile floor jack under the rear crossmember and lift the rear end up enough to get it higher than the front end.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 AM
NEED2SPEEDLS1
Instructor

I tried to get my Jack under there, but I didn't have any room to pump it, being the rear of the car is super low lol. I might have to mess with it again!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're probably leaving the worst of the oil in the pan - but not a lot of volume. The most viscous, grimey, sticky stuff is likely to hang out in the bottom with the front up. You should be able to jack the rear up with the front on the ramps - just make sure that you have the front wheels blocked or they may roll back on the ramps as you lift the rear. If your car is really low, you might have to build some rear ramps out of scrap wood, etc. to get the wheels high enough (you probably only need an inch or two) to get your jack under it.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:38 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

while i realize it's not practical for everyone, i have a qwik-lift that i use for oil changes on my cars (in addition to other minor under the car issues). it insures that the car is level for such work. while i leave mine up and park one of my corvettes on it at all times, it is easily "broken down" and can be stored up against a wall out of the way if desired. since i don't have the ceiling clearance for a post lift (either 2 or 4), it is the best alternative i have to work safely under any car and have access to the complete underside.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM
tomringo
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts

Here's a couple of youtubes on oil change and jacking the rear, I like picutres, better shows how it can be done. There are a lot of posts on here, just go to search and type in oil change you'll find more info there too. Good luck with yoour project. ---just be sure when you jack up the rear and let last of the oil drain for a few mins. you stay out from under the car and keep everyone away until you lower the rear down, we don't want to read any bad stories just good ones on your sucess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHGcx...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHCqJQ8K4g0
Old 05-19-2011, 02:19 PM
dbbspider
Instructor

With the front wheels on ramps, jack the front higher, removed the ramps, lower the front to the ground so that the car is level. The rest of the oil will drain. Then, jack it back up and on the ramps, install new filter and plug, and oil. Good to go
Old 05-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by spdislife
With the front on jack stands or ramp, use a floor jack to raise the rear of the car after the drain plug's been removed. Drop rear of car when no more oil runs out.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:00 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I generaly dont worry about the 4 oz of oil left in it by not raising the rear, and although I have ramps I dont even use them for oil changes.

My low profile jack fits under the side lifting point, I just raise the left front wheel, put a jack stand for safety, remove plug and filter, drop car down till all drained (you need a low profile catch pan for this...ask me why I now own one ), raise it, install filter and plug, drop it, fill it,...done.

I guess you could pull up the rear tires on two 2x2's to raise the rear to start so when you drop it, the rear will be four inches higher if you wanted to get it all out.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z's Oil Change. Front Of Car Raised = Not All Oil Drained Out??

Quick Reply: C5 Z's Oil Change. Front Of Car Raised = Not All Oil Drained Out??