Sponsored by:

Finally installed the SLP 25% underdrive pulley and vararam

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 AM
corvettecrazy2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally installed the SLP 25% underdrive pulley and vararam

some of you might have noticed me abusing the forum with questions pertaining to the slp harmonic balancer and the vararam. so here's my chance to add some info regarding the two.

i finally got around to bringing the vette in to get them installed this week, and man, what a difference. the new balancer and intake makes the car feel so much more responsive, the car now idles really smooth and feels nice. sotp meter say's about a 15% increase in power

the only thing I'm not too happy about is that the balance makes the car just a little quieter at idle. and battery voltage with all lights on dropped to 12.7 vs 13.2.

for any one looking to do the powerbond/slp balancer the belt sizes are 77.5" for the main belt and 41" a/c.

as for the vararam, the quality fit and finnish is pathetic, but it does its job well at sucking in air and thats all that matters. would i buy it again? HELL YES!!!!

so all in all, this project cost me $1100 out the door(parts, labor etc.). a little steep if you ask me. but it wasn't an easy task, and the balancer was wobbling really bad and had to get taken care of.

also would like to thank Dennis at DDMODS for the parts and great price

-CC2
Old 05-21-2011, 10:19 AM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez

2 good improvements..
Old 05-21-2011, 03:36 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by renegad44
2 good improvements..
Old 05-21-2011, 07:16 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

i am going to put one on sooner or later but it is going to be with a cam. figure the shop quoted 900 for a cam install and the balancer is part of that.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I know exactly how you feel
Old 05-22-2011, 12:58 PM
corvettecrazy2
Pro

so i got around to washing her yesterday and just for the hell of it i stuck my hand in the intake opening to see if any water had been collected, and man was i surprised. the was allot of water that had pooled in the ducts. i thought the Vr-b2 was supposed to have a water out air in design? this car will definitely not be driven in any rain after seeing and physically feeling the puddles of water in both duct openings. scary stuff i tell you. imagine at the rate of 65mph how much water would or could be sucked into the engine. i do not recommend this for daily drivers. luckily my car is a nice weather/weekend car only.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Scoundrl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corvettecrazy2
so i got around to washing her yesterday and just for the hell of it i stuck my hand in the intake opening to see if any water had been collected, and man was i surprised. the was allot of water that had pooled in the ducts. i thought the Vr-b2 was supposed to have a water out air in design? this car will definitely not be driven in any rain after seeing and physically feeling the puddles of water in both duct openings. scary stuff i tell you. imagine at the rate of 65mph how much water would or could be sucked into the engine. i do not recommend this for daily drivers. luckily my car is a nice weather/weekend car only.
Just FYI, I have had the Vararam on my C5 for the majority of the 137,000 miles it has on the odometer. I live in Oregon and it rains A LOT here. Do not worry about water getting into the engine while driving in the rain. Its a non issue, even if some does get up the duct the filter will catch it and disperse it giving you a cooler intake charge (which is a good thing).

Just enjoy your car and dont drive thru a river....

-Ken
The following users liked this post:
C5workinprogress (02-07-2024)
Old 08-26-2011, 02:55 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

I've had my vette w/vararam in some MAAAAAAJOR down pours and water has never got sucked in. The front end would have to be submerged in water for the engine to hydrolock.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Glad it all worked out Ernest!
Thanks again for the business
Dennis
Old 08-26-2011, 08:13 PM
DBL98COR
Advanced

some of you might have noticed me abusing the forum with questions pertaining to the slp harmonic balancer and the vararam. so here's my chance to add some info regarding the two.

i finally got around to bringing the vette in to get them installed this week, and man, what a difference. the new balancer and intake makes the car feel so much more responsive, the car now idles really smooth and feels nice. sotp meter say's about a 15% increase in power

the only thing I'm not too happy about is that the balance makes the car just a little quieter at idle. and battery voltage with all lights on dropped to 12.7 vs 13.2.

for any one looking to do the powerbond/slp balancer the belt sizes are 77.5" for the main belt and 41" a/c.

as for the vararam, the quality fit and finnish is pathetic, but it does its job well at sucking in air and thats all that matters. would i buy it again? HELL YES!!!!

so all in all, this project cost me $1100 out the door(parts, labor etc.). a little steep if you ask me. but it wasn't an easy task, and the balancer was wobbling really bad and had to get taken care of.

also would like to thank Dennis at DDMODS for the parts and great price

-CC2
I went with an overdrive pully on the alternator because of stereo amp.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:51 AM
retired08
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Water issues

I installed a VaraRam on my last C-5 and it did make a notible difference I also had no water issues even after heavy rains or washing. I'm in the market for another VaraRam for my current C-5. Should have removed the one I had on the last "5".
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by retired08
I installed a VaraRam on my last C-5 and it did make a notible difference I also had no water issues even after heavy rains or washing. I'm in the market for another VaraRam for my current C-5. Should have removed the one I had on the last "5".

249.99 shipped
http://shop.doubledmods.com/searchqu...ywords=vararam
Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Qweklain
Racer

As DBL98COR did, you could install an overdrive pulley on your alternator and have stock amps. Another alternative would be to upgrade to a hi-output alternator, but they cost $550-750 bones depending on the amperage. However, if you are not running much extra draw from stock, you will probably be just fine.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
corvettecrazy2
Pro

where can i find an overdrive pulley for my alternator?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 AM
DBL98COR
Advanced

Texas Speed & Performance. Cost about $30.00 Works great have good amps.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally installed the SLP 25% underdrive pulley and vararam

Quick Reply: Finally installed the SLP 25% underdrive pulley and vararam