Sponsored by:

Couple months with LG coliovers - Observations - Setup - Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:37 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple months with LG coliovers - Observations - Setup - Opinion

So let me go ahead and say that for the most part I am very happy with the overall packaging and quality of LG's GT2 coilovers.

I was going to do an install write up but since there is quite a few on the site already I decided to speed the process up and not document the install.

Note that I have yet to adjust LG's out the box spring pre load . From my understand it is the goldilocks setting. Not to stiff not too soft.

I have been playing with the damping settings and height adjustments.

To keep things short and simple - I have found that by lowering the car anymore than a 1/2 - 1 inch lower than factory, handling was seriously compromised. Sure the car looked awesome but steering, ride and bumpsteer was too unbearable, especially when I spent the amount of money I did for this setup.

Raising the car back up and keeping the damping settings in the lower end improved day to day handling greatly. Steering is more linear and feelsome. Body control is in check, in fact I'll go as far as to say it feels more nimble. Keep in mind I'm no softy, the car is still stiff, but it abosorbing bumps the way a good sporting car should. Not the crashing over bumps kind of stiff.

I have come to terms with the fact that going lower without drop spindles throws off suspension geometry enough to effect the cars feel at low and high speeds. I can't go into complete technical details about why but then again im sure a more thorough search of the forum will explain this.

Are coilovers worth it? I would say do the research and make sure the imporvments you are looking for is what the end result would be. Then again everyones different, some are willing to compromise handling for good looks, some may not notice the difference perhaps.

Handling is more than just how fast you can take a corner, what happens when that corner has bumps or other irregularities, consider the big picture. handling is about having confidence in the car you are piloting. Its easy to say well take a driving school and learn to be a better driver. Did that at all alter the handling or feel of the car? No

The best of drivers can pick apart any sportscar especially the Corvette's with its many faults. It is also about pleasure. Body control is also important. I can zero out most body roll with larger bars etc but is it worth it when the car is rocking back and forth over the broken pavment? Balance is key...

I daily drive my car, I put cornering ability and handling above all else and I'm happy to say I have found my sweet spot. TO each his own.

1999 FRC
Mods
C6 sway bars and poly bushings
GT2 Coilovers
Nitto NT-05 Tires wrapped around OEM Z06 wheels

Last edited by niteriderc5; 06-05-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:19 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Nice review
Old 06-05-2011, 05:26 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Did you have it re-aligned when dropping 1"+ etc., or did you try different heights with the same alignment settings?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for your write up and your input, I have been thinking I would like to go the coil over route........
Appreciate feedback from users opinions.
Was interested to read how dropping your car more than 1" made a noticable change in the performance. Was the car re-aligned after dropping the height?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice !
I'm loving my GT2's also.
A friend of mind put a set on his C6 and says it is the best mod he has done to date on his car.

Toque
Old 06-05-2011, 07:10 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Did you have it re-aligned when dropping 1"+ etc., or did you try different heights with the same alignment settings?
Before installing the coilovers I had Z06 shocks lowered on Z51 springs (front bushings cut and max out with the rear bolts from West Coast Corvette) The car was low, and I have to say unpleaseant which is why I thought going coilovers would not only improve the handling but maintain the look...it also had an alignment similar to that of a C5 Z06 ( slightly more caster )

After measuring the ride height with that setup, I went to work matching it with the coilovers. Again I was unhappy with the car that low regardless of the damping setting. After rasing the car completly back to original factory specs I noticed a world of change. I have not re aligned since. However it still doesn't make my conclusion any less relevant since alighnment has nothing to do with ride quality and the shocks ability to absorb bumps properly.

EDIT - After doing some quick research and scanning I have found that in order to maintain proper suspension geometry the control arms need to be angled downward towards the ground, not sure how valid that statement was but there maybe more to it than just that. Obviously my knowledge towards suspension is limited but I know what good and bad handling feels like.

Last edited by niteriderc5; 06-05-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good review. Thanks for putting your observations down for all to read.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Good review. Thanks for putting your observations down for all to read.
coilovers for sure one of the best mods in making a big diff,s in the ride on these cars... Robert
Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

there is a wealth of info in this thread from when I first installed mine last year....check it out

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...bout-them.html
Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 AM
madmatster
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

i've had mine on my 02Z for 6 months now.. and i'm STILL making adjustments. Adjusting preload, shock length, and softness/stiffness. This is a mod for a hobbiest. You better be someone who likes to tinker if you decide to get goilovers and want to dial things in yourself.

Keep at it..

Get notified of new replies

To Couple months with LG coliovers - Observations - Setup - Opinion

Quick Reply: Couple months with LG coliovers - Observations - Setup - Opinion