Sponsored by:

Charge System Fault!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 PM
SCRMNC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charge System Fault!!

I need some help guys!!! got this display for Charge system fault the other day. bought a new battery and alternator just to make sure. put them both in and still had the same display up, with a voltage reading of 11.2-10.9. Talked to a buddy told me to make sure my connections were tight on the starter, I did, and got almost a full turn on that bolt. Put everything back together and the voltage went back up to 13.2. Took the car out today, and the voltage kept going down, and eventually I lost all the gauges on the dash then shortly after the car shut down, dead!!!!!!! Had a new battery driven out to me at the car, installed it and ..........nothing, wouldn't even turn over. Is my starter fried??? and if it is will it cause my whole system not to charge?? Please, any info will be greatly appreciated, as I am going to be doing the work myself. Thanks in advance.

Barry
Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 PM
DavzC5
Drifting

Location: Houston, TX www.djmotorsportaccessories.com Specializing in C5 & C6 Accessories. DJ Motorsport Accessories.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by SCRMNC5
I need some help guys!!! got this display for Charge system fault the other day. bought a new battery and alternator just to make sure. put them both in and still had the same display up, with a voltage reading of 11.2-10.9. Talked to a buddy told me to make sure my connections were tight on the starter, I did, and got almost a full turn on that bolt. Put everything back together and the voltage went back up to 13.2. Took the car out today, and the voltage kept going down, and eventually I lost all the gauges on the dash then shortly after the car shut down, dead!!!!!!! Had a new battery driven out to me at the car, installed it and ..........nothing, wouldn't even turn over. Is my starter fried??? and if it is will it cause my whole system not to charge?? Please, any info will be greatly appreciated, as I am going to be doing the work myself. Thanks in advance.

Barry
Just took my 02 coupe in the shop yesterday for exact same issue. Couple days ago the car died on our street and I got it home after few trys and it wouldn't start again and gauges acting funny. Pulled the alt and got it checked at autozone and it was no good. So had to order new one...but in mean time I replace the alt and battery myself (pulled from my wifes vert) and 5 min later got the low voltage and charge system fault message again. Also put on lift and tightened the starter bolts and still problem. Thought what the heck and took it down the road to my local shop we use. The shop owner just called and said tech found that I need new ignition switch...that's all. Picking it up about 6pm today! Switch is from dealership so part and install is $288.

David
Old 06-10-2011, 03:28 PM
SCRMNC5
Pro

Originally Posted by DavzC5
Just took my 02 coupe in the shop yesterday for exact same issue. Couple days ago the car died on our street and I got it home after few trys and it wouldn't start again and gauges acting funny. Pulled the alt and got it checked at autozone and it was no good. So had to order new one...but in mean time I replace the alt and battery myself (pulled from my wifes vert) and 5 min later got the low voltage and charge system fault message again. Also put on lift and tightened the starter bolts and still problem. Thought what the heck and took it down the road to my local shop we use. The shop owner just called and said tech found that I need new ignition switch...that's all. Picking it up about 6pm today! Switch is from dealership so part and install is $288.

David
So it had nothing to do with the starter? And the ignition switch would cause the system not to charge at all?? Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

So it had nothing to do with the starter? And the ignition switch would cause the system not to charge at all?? Thanks
Unlikely but possible, lots of juice going thru that switch.

My wifes Grand Prix had the same issue a few months ago, took the alternator in and had it "tested" (they said it was OK) but it turns out it wasn't. There is other circuitry in the alternator anymore other than the alternator/regulator that can go bad. The only real way to know if the actual alternator/regulator stuff is good is a scope, the test setups most parts stores have is too simple for moder alternator testing.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your Grounds

G104 - Engine Compartment Under The Battery

G106 - Right Hand Side of Engine above Starter
Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This helped me
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-please-2.html

Last edited by GeneT; 06-11-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: sp
Old 06-13-2011, 05:55 PM
SCRMNC5
Pro

The main bolt on the starter is broken!!! Video up soon
Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM
SCRMNC5
Pro

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Looks like someone over-torqued it.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:11 PM
DavzC5
Drifting

Location: Houston, TX www.djmotorsportaccessories.com Specializing in C5 & C6 Accessories. DJ Motorsport Accessories.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

In may case it was. I had my alternator checked again at Advance Auto and they said it was good. Thought I'd stop at Autozone down the road again to check same alt and they showed it fail again. I told them that my alt was good at other place and asked them to put a new alt out-of-box on the tester to see what's up. They tested their own alt and it failed too. I went home and put my old alt back on the car and my wifes back on here C5 and all is fine. Ignition switch cost from dealer was $115.

Get notified of new replies

To Charge System Fault!!

Quick Reply: Charge System Fault!!