Sponsored by:

My MGW vs B&M Sport shifter thoughts>

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:35 PM
GM Fan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My MGW vs B&M Sport shifter thoughts>

I just installed a used MGW shifter (current 30% design pictured on the MGW website as of now, with the top shaft for C6 *****) last night and thought I'd do a quick post on my thoughts vs my B&M Sport Shifter that I've had for a year or so.

The B&M Sport is not to be confused w/ the B&M Ripper. The Sport has some rubber isolation built into the shifter shaft (two piece shaft design), similar to the stock shifter, and unlike the Ripper and Hurst style shifters. It also lacks centering springs like a Hurst (and I believe the Ripper although I don't recall for sure. I had a Ripper in my 99 Trans Am).

Let me just start by saying I liked the B&M Sport, it was a vast improvement over stock, and didn't rattle at all due to the design (one of my main initial selling points after the Ripper in my Trans Am). It requires what I consider a good amount of effort to shift over stock (a good thing, not too stiff, but not super sloppy like stock), was pretty positive, and all around a good choice. I'm definitely not saying you'd mistake it for a stock shifter though, effort is high enough some people might not like it compared to say a stock C6 shifter setup. It can also work w/ either the stock C5-style threaded *****, or can work w/ the 05-07 ***** as well unlike almost all other shifters out there. Oh and the B&M does not require cutting the rubber isolation boot or whatever it is called that covers the shifter opening under the console. Had to be cut w/ the MGW.

Here is a quick picture of the two prior to install of the MGW:

This pic makes it appear the B&M is significantly taller, but you'll notice the hole in the shifter shafts for the C6 **** screw/bolt is in virtually the same place (the MGW has two holes for both 05-07 an 08+ C6 *****). I believe the MGW C6 shaft just doesn't stick as far into the C6 ****, the MGW C5 style threaded shaft is taller I believe and likely comparable to the B&M although obviously I don't have that one to compare.

With the two shifters out of the car, the immediate thing I noticed as the MGW shaft moved alot less freely. The B&M kinda flops around when not on the car (no centering springs). I believe the MGW has no centering springs either, but it almost seems like it has some very very light springs or something. Or maybe it just has that much tighter tolerances and better design, either way it just has a very very smooth and tightly put together feeling.

Installed in the car, the MGW seems to have about the same shifter travel front to back from 3 to 4 for instance. It almost feels to me like it has less travel side to side to move over into the 1-2 gate from the neutral/3-4 gate though, and maybe just a little more effort to move left to right. I could be imagining the less travel left-to-right.

As far as the feel, I was really prepared to get this thing, install it in the car, and notice a fat lot of nothing in the way of difference between the two shifters. But this MGW just feels far more precise and smooth. It really does feel like a fine rifle bolt changing gears like I've heard others say. Probably just by nature of the design the B&M has more slop. Not to say it is sloppy crap like the stock shifter mind you, just not as precise as the MGW.

If I am resting my and on the shift ****, the MGW has noticeably more vibration coming through to the ****. I was not getting any rattling at all that I've noticed w/ the stock C6 **** with the MGW, but I could see where it could rattle a bit with a specific **** due to the increased vibration over the B&M. Hopefully I don't begin to notice a rattle under any conditions as I drive it more.

I haven't messed w/ the offset of the top shaft section on the MGW yet, I currently just have it at the 6 o'clock position, ie offset straight back. Might be intersting to try it offset toward 7-9 o'clock to offset it more toward the driver.

Overall, I am quite happy w/ the MGW so far, and although I need to drive it more it has made more of a difference than I thought being my usual skeptical self. I very much like the increased precision. Although I'm not slamming the B&M Sport either. I believe I paid about $185 new for the B&M, and they can be had on the for sale board for $125ish used quite often I believe, maybe less. I paid $205 shipped for the used MGW, that is quite a bit of a savings if you go with a used B&M... Plus you don't have to buy a different shifter shafts to go between C5 and C6 *****... So I see positives to both, but I think the MGW is definitely for me.

BTW, anyone looking for the size screw/bolt to use for the stock C6 **** screw, the MGW and stock shifters are threaded for a M5 x .8 x 16 bolt. I didn't get a screw w/ the MGW and assumed the bolt form the B&M would work, but nope, it was a bigger bolt. Had to run to Ace hardware with the shift **** just sitting loosely on the MGW and find a bolt and washer for a buck...

Last edited by GM Fan; 06-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Zeus-of-Boost
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the great comparison. much appriciated and will mean alot in my search for the right shifter for my new c5z
Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I used to have the B&M shifter in my deceased 99 and it worked flawlessly on my Texas Mile runs in the 190mph range, good shifter as is the MGW that I have driven in other Vettes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
rowdync
Cruising

Since you have installed a couple different shifters, do you think the B&M could be installed using the factory bolts? I have a used shifter but no hardware. I bought new rubber bushings but was not sure if the bolt length was significantly different with the B&M kit and stock.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

No experience with the B&M, but I love my MGW after a couple of weeks with it. Very precise and high quality feel. Never going any other direction that MGW.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Mine had a MGW on it when I bought it. I have no issues with it. It seems to be a little notchy but it's not difficult. Mine doesn't have any vibration you speak of and I ride with my hand on the shifter all the time.

I also have my stock **** on it. So are these the same size thread? Or was there some modification to make it work. I've taken it off and there doesn't seem to be. I want to change my **** at some point.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 AM
qipman
Racer

The only thing I did not like about my C5 was the feel of the stock shifter. After I put in an MGW shifter the car now feels the way I expected it to from the beginning, awesome!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I've had my MGW shifter for several years and really like it. It replaced my B&M Ripper.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:17 AM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up & comparison, thanks for the info!

I installed a Hurst in mine way back in 03 almost immidiately after I bought it. I've always been very happy, but the hurst is a little notchy.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Ultimate ride
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The MGW was the first mod I did and I have been very pleased with it. The stock shifter was very disappointing. It didn't seem to fit with the car.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the op keep in mined if you are using the factory shifter base and its a z06 mgw recomends you replace it. The factory base has no rubber isolators were it bolts down but the coupes and conv. do.
go to the mgw web site and click on the c5 install video this is something they recomend.
But you have to buy the whole c6 shifter about $140 bucks
Its to eliminate any vibration problems
Steve
Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

i tired each the B&M ripper, the hurst and the MGW shifters in my 04 ce convertible, and while i generally concur with your analysis, my experience is a bit different. the hurst was by far the least effective shifter in my opinion, i sold it and went to the B&M which i liked, but i found to be nothing special although better than the stock shifter for sure. it was "notchy" to use the term that was most often applied to many descriptions of the various shifters in multiple threads. i sold the B&M and replaced it with the shorter shafted MGW (as pictured by the OP) and have been very happy with it. it is very precise, but unlike the OP, mine does rattle a bit from time to time. you will never miss a 2-3 shift with it that for sure, lol. i do find that it is a bit more difficult than any of the previous shifters to get into 5 and 6 and also almost have to "bang" it across to access reverse. overall i am extremely please with the MGW (it has been in my car now over 2 years) and would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking a shifter change.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had just about all the shifters.... B&M ripper, B&M Sport, Breathless, Hurst, C6 Z06 and last but not least, the MGW.

I can't enough good things about the MGW !!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:07 AM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I really like my MGW shifter and with use it loosens up. I could not shift my stock C5 without missing or putting into wrong gear, thought it was me but it was the stock shifter. Spoke to George at MGW he says you should always change out the shifter box as they wear out even on low mileage cars and in many cases that is the real culprit with shifting issues. I did not change mine but may do sometime soon. It is a easy do, $200=. Last note, my GF that drove the car before and after did not like the stiff shifts (I do) and now my concern is if I ever sell the car do I replace MGW with stock shifter to get the sale? Greetings, Rob
Old 03-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Nik_Bad
Instructor

I am debating between the two for my C6. Which one feels most like a new 5.0 mustang? I loved the way that thing felt.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the B&M sport and find it to be precise. My only gripe is that 6-R gate requires a little more effort than I like.

One thing to note is sound coming through the shifter boot. I am not sure how the MGW seals the hole in the tunnel, but if you don't you will get considerable engine/drive train noise coming into the cockpit. The nice thing about the B&M is that the stock sealer rubber plate fits around the shifter. I used some extra foam for further sound isolation. Nice and quiet and no rattles :-).
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I JUST installed an MGW and all I can say is... WOW. Extremely precise and no vibration. Very pleased

Get notified of new replies

To My MGW vs B&M Sport shifter thoughts>

Quick Reply: My MGW vs B&M Sport shifter thoughts>