Sponsored by:

door lock stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Default door lock stuff

I have been reading about door lock issues, relays, control modules etc trying to figure out what may be wrong with my car. The drivers door lock doesnt always work. The key fob has never worked so that is taken out of the equation and a different story all together. When I press the lock button the passengers door works fine but the drivers door locks maybe 1 out of every 4 times. When it doesn't lock however the lock button moves a little though. Since the lock button looks like it is trying to move would that be the door lock itself or the door control module.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

You can try to remove the door panel and grease up the mechanism, Also you might need a new solenoid.
Just some ideas.
Mr.Bill
Old 06-18-2011, 12:17 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

ill have to give that a try. everything i have read has alluded to the the door lock not working at all but in this case it wants to work and wiggles but just wont go all the way to the locked position.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:08 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If one lock is working you can discount the fob. Thats probably either a bad battery or a dead fob. Does your #2 fob work?

What you have Is a common problem. The door lock relays in the module are notoriously unreliable and stick. What you're hearing is the relay trying to operate. I'm on my 2nd passenger door lock module and its going bad again. "Percussion therapy" can work temporarily. If you bang the door below the handle it can free off the relay. You can replace the relay if you're into DIY electronics. It may even be worth opening the module and spraying the relay with some electronics cleaner. If not its a left door lock module replacement.

Do you have any codes? It might be worth checking to confirm the diagnosis.

The definitive thread was posted by Bakersfield but it seems to be hard to access recently. PM me if you want a copy but I'm away until tomorrow
Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

neither fob has ever worked. they go through the learn process and they go through the synch process but after about 10 minutes they quit working again. both fobs have had new batteries in them. i have figured that the 11 year old fobs are just worn out. So if I am understanding correctly, the electronic door module can cause the manual lock handle to just wiggle if it is not working correctly? Of course that would be the problem, the electronic module is more expensive than the lock motor.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:02 AM
barblarry93
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lock

It is definitely the door lock module. Search for door lock and you will find post on changing the relays. The module at the sealership is $471 retail. $355 wholesale.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:05 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

vettenuts has a few of them for 60 bucks.
might not be a bad route to go cause i cant solder at all
Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 PM
C5at57
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
I have been reading about door lock issues, relays, control modules etc trying to figure out what may be wrong with my car. The drivers door lock doesnt always work. The key fob has never worked so that is taken out of the equation and a different story all together. When I press the lock button the passengers door works fine but the drivers door locks maybe 1 out of every 4 times. When it doesn't lock however the lock button moves a little though. Since the lock button looks like it is trying to move would that be the door lock itself or the door control module.
PM sent

Get notified of new replies

To door lock stuff

Quick Reply: door lock stuff