Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Owners with LTs, what did you do with o2 sensors

Old 06-24-2011, 07:37 PM
socci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Owners with LTs, what did you do with o2 sensors

I am throwing codes from my front o2 sensors with my long tubes. I want to buy some rear sensors and put them in the front location, but I cannot find an adapter that will work since in 04 they made the front plugs square. Has anyone ran into this problem besides me, or is there just an obvious way to fix it? I do not want to splice if I do not have to. I am currently trying to find some after cat plugs that have female ends to fit into the front male harness, but I am coming up short. Any help would be appreciated.

I could have sworn I saw a rear to front adapter back in the day that had both ends square, but right now all I can find is square to flat.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:50 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

You'll need to buy two rear 02 sensors and put them in front. You could also just move the rears up front and plug the rear 02 bungs and tune the rear 02's out. I was able to keep the fronts up front and the rears in rear by removing the sensor connectors from their clips on the frame and moving them rearward. I run Melrose Smoothflow LT's.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 PM
socci
Racer

Yea but the rears are male connectors along with the fronts so they won't clip in together. I need some sort of adapter or rear plugs that have female connectors.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

The guy that tuned my car after the header install set the fronts and I believe turned the rears off or something to that effect. Mine hasn't thrown any codes in a couple years
Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 PM
socci
Racer

Oh damn I didn't know a tuner could do that, I actually didn't throw any codes until I had my ecu tuned, now I always have front sensor codes
Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 325 Likes on 202 Posts

yes a tuner can do it
Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 PM
socci
Racer

I know they tune out rears, but how do they stop codes from the fronts? Is it worth sending my ecm back for a retune?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:33 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm very confused by your description of the problem.

What kind/brand of longtubes? Many of the common brands have extensions and/or adapters that are available. Places like Speed Inc sells adapters, not sure about the 04 different plugs though.

As for your description, it sounds like you want to get rear sensors for the front. What is the purpose of that? The after cat O2's have a heated circuit, and if I recall correctly, cannot be directly used in the front locations without some splicing. The rear O2 sensors do nothing, other than trying to detect if your cats have gone bad. The fronts, however, are the most important for determining proper operating conditions. If your headers are tuned properly, then you'll have no issues from the stock front sensors.

Sounds more like you need a "good" tune rather than throwing money away on sensors you don't need. It's also possible that your fronts have gone bad. Before anything else, what codes are you throwing?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 PM
socci
Racer

Before I installed my headers I read into this a lot and almost everyone has to relocate the rears to the front because the rears have a different heat range or something. The fronts are located too far down the line compared to their original position which causes them to think they are failing. The lgs come with adapters to relocate the rears, but its only for 03 and under models, in 04 they changed the front plugs to square so that kit doesn't work.

I do have a tune from Ecs also.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by socci
Before I installed my headers I read into this a lot and almost everyone has to relocate the rears to the front because the rears have a different heat range or something. The fronts are located too far down the line compared to their original position which causes them to think they are failing. The lgs come with adapters to relocate the rears, but its only for 03 and under models, in 04 they changed the front plugs to square so that kit doesn't work.

I do have a tune from Ecs also.
Most people relocate the rears, not because of temperature range, but because the wires are too short on the fronts to reach. So they swap out for the rears instead.

As for the sensors giving you problems, absolutely changing the position of them give you more errors, but your are going to get that with either the front or rear sensors. The PCM needs to get updated to respond to the new position.

ECS knows thier stuff. I'd call and talk with them. If your PCM was done via mail order, ask them what would be throwing codes. Again, what codes?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 PM
socci
Racer

Hmm I could have sworn it was due to heater range I have read about it being a problem countless times, but maybe I'm mistaken. I will double check when I get home my phone sucks, its not worth browsing on it. Off the top of my head I believe my codes are 0135 and 0155, but if I let my car idle too long I throw two more codes that relate to the front sensors failing
Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by socci
Hmm I could have sworn it was due to heater range I have read about it being a problem countless times, but maybe I'm mistaken. I will double check when I get home my phone sucks, its not worth browsing on it. Off the top of my head I believe my codes are 0135 and 0155, but if I let my car idle too long I throw two more codes that relate to the front sensors failing
I haven't replaced my fronts with long tubes and run all 4 O2's with no codes.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:35 PM
socci
Racer

Yea I was good before my tune so ill call ecs Monday, but here's one thread that mentions the heater range and location forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/2148859-o2-sensor-problems-out-of-ideas.html

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 Owners with LTs, what did you do with o2 sensors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Owners with LTs, what did you do with o2 sensors