Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Driver-side visor snapped and went limp

Is there any easy way to repair or replace the cardboard (way to be cheap, GM) inside the sun visors? I went to latch my vert's roof back in place this morning, heard a pop, and now the damn sun visor is hanging down a couple of inches lower and just bouncing around with any car movement. It feels like the support material inside just broke right off where it attaches to the visor rod.

I'd rather not have to spend ~$80 for a new visor, especially since this one's got a homelink setup installed in it. I never use the dang things, but don't want to go through the trouble of relocating my homelink controls right now after removing the visor and leaving it out.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I hear ya...mine snapped a while back, but I was lucky to score a set of leather visor covers. The cover is snug enough to correct the visor, and I spent less than if I had bought a new visor, and looks way cooler.maybe you can locate a set...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Fairly simple to open the visor up by just cutting the stitching. I did it when I installed my Homelink. Just resow afterwards. I would think you could remove the existing cardboard and replace with a thicker material, and then reposition your Homelink. Do a search on Homelink install and I think you'll find step by step instructions for disassembling. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by c5BlackBeauty
Fairly simple to open the visor up by just cutting the stitching. I did it when I installed my Homelink. Just resow afterwards. I would think you could remove the existing cardboard and replace with a thicker material, and then reposition your Homelink. Do a search on Homelink install and I think you'll find step by step instructions for disassembling. Good luck.
Yah, I may just go that route. It was pretty surprising when I installed the Homelink to see how flimsy the material was.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

Depends on what has broken. There is a thick fiberboard base that is attached to the rod (via a metal bracket with staples). On either side is a thin cardboard cover that hangs over the ends and forms the "wings" on either side.

If the fiberboard broke, it would have to be replaced and the whole thing has to be disassembled. Usually, though it is the cardboard covers that break where the wings pivot. When you open it up, you will find that the cardboard is disintegrating.

I recently tore open my driver's side visor because I was tired of the flapping wings. I removed the cardboard and trimmed the fiberboard down to roughly a rectangular shape by trimming the edges, not the bottom, recovered with marine grade vinyl and reinstalled the mirror/light. Looks pretty good - kind of minimalistic. It folds up a little tighter so does not obstruct as much of the top of the windshield. I will do the passenger side soon and will probably redo the driver side as there are a few places where I could improve on the fit.

$$$frumnuttin' - tell us more about the leather covers you found. Who, what, where, how much?

As to the cheap materials, the Corvette designers/engineers had to choose somewhere to shave off costs to keep to the mandated price point. I'd rather it be on the less consequential and easily replaceable things like sun visors and seat leather than on things like chassis stiffness, engine/transmission, etc. Read All Corvettes Are Red to really learn about your C5 and how it came to be and why things about it are the way they are.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by K9Leader
Depends on what has broken. There is a thick fiberboard base that is attached to the rod (via a metal bracket with staples). On either side is a thin cardboard cover that hangs over the ends and forms the "wings" on either side.

If the fiberboard broke, it would have to be replaced and the whole thing has to be disassembled. Usually, though it is the cardboard covers that break where the wings pivot. When you open it up, you will find that the cardboard is disintegrating.

I recently tore open my driver's side visor because I was tired of the flapping wings. I removed the cardboard and trimmed the fiberboard down to roughly a rectangular shape by trimming the edges, not the bottom, recovered with marine grade vinyl and reinstalled the mirror/light. Looks pretty good - kind of minimalistic. It folds up a little tighter so does not obstruct as much of the top of the windshield. I will do the passenger side soon and will probably redo the driver side as there are a few places where I could improve on the fit.
Got any photos of what you did? I'd be interested to see the results.

$$$frumnuttin' - tell us more about the leather covers you found. Who, what, where, how much?
Yah, agreed on that!

As to the cheap materials, the Corvette designers/engineers had to choose somewhere to shave off costs to keep to the mandated price point. I'd rather it be on the less consequential and easily replaceable things like sun visors and seat leather than on things like chassis stiffness, engine/transmission, etc. Read All Corvettes Are Red to really learn about your C5 and how it came to be and why things about it are the way they are.
I can see that argument, but something made from a somewhat rigid plastic would probably stand up to abuse. I know I personally *never* use the visors (6' 4" and I have good sunglasses), and the only time I even bother with them is when I'm putting down / up my 'vert roof.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Razzputon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read a lot of posts of people just taking them off and plugging the holes.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

It will cost you more than $80 to replace the visor. I replaced both of mine for $190.00 shipped and I don't have the Homelink. Of course I went new.
I can't imagine you can fix yours, just replace it.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Here are photos of what I did. I trimmed the fiberboard to be roughly rectangular - it is wider on one end than the other so that the bottom is level.

The flap over the mirror is where it is held down by Velcro - this made it easy to sew and then slip onto the visor. It is a little awkward. I think the next prototype will be sewn top and bottom with the ends open so I can slip it on, then the ends sewn, if I can fit the thing onto the sewing machine (and manage to sew a straight enough line that it looks okay).

The holes I cut for the hinges were too large and you can see the fiberboard. I need to fix this in the next prototype.

When I was disassembling it, I decided to cut the wires to the mirror/light - it was easier to work on it without the mirror flopping around. I spliced in wire about 3 inches long when I put it all back together to give enough slack to work on it. That is the wire making an impression through the vinyl. I need to redo it so that this is tucked away or covered by a something hard so that it is not so obvious.

To disassemble, I had to snap off the pegs that held the mirror on. To reattach it, I got four small black screws and drilled four holes. When I started to assemble it, I realized that the hinges hold the top securely in place so I only needed the two holes on the bottom.

It will be a couple of weeks before I can try again. On vacation next week and will have the car with me but none of the tools, workshop, and sewing machine.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:29 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Very cool, K9!

I actually removed both my visors this morning (got tired of bonking my head on the loose driver side one). Gotta say, I kind of enjoy driving without them. I never used them, and being 6'4" they kind of ate up some of the windshield view space. I'm going to mess around with an idea I had before I try putting them back in. I still have to sort out where I'm going to put the Homelink control if I don't fix and reinstall the visors, though.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

My driver's side visor was off for several days while I was experimenting with it and I did enjoy the expansive view. I would not say that I never use them, but it is seldom. However, on those rare occasions that they are needed, they are really, really nice to have.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver-side visor snapped and went limp

Quick Reply: Driver-side visor snapped and went limp