Sponsored by:

Progress Update: Pic Heavy Black to White

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:39 AM
White Rabbit
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Progress Update: Pic Heavy Black to White

So i have a standard Coupe and did the "murdered out" thing and im kinda over it... I called up TPE and ordered their complete wide body kit and got my hands on a Tiger Shark front and rear as well..
MGW short throw, white face gauges and aluminum trim rings, new Boot and ****, Mod Red interior, DSVettes Suede D Shape wheel, Corbeau FX1 Pro's in Micosuede, Pulled out all the stock speakers and changed them out for Pioneers to match the Avic Z2, and after "TheRadioFlyer" got into an accident i bought his Custom LED Euro tail lights.. and finally i just got all my under hood components Painted Arctic White.. my current dilemma is the Fuel Rail Covers.. im thinking Carbon Smoothies or Fiberglass painted white as well.. Opinions?
Thanks for looking

Last edited by White Rabbit; 06-29-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

nice. Pretty big undertaking there!

Any details on that steering wheel?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 AM
White Rabbit
Burning Brakes

its a DS Vettes.. i got it off a Forum member used for $400 shipped.

http://www.dsvettes.com/store2008/pr...cat=280&page=1

I think they are in the $700 range new... just dumb luck that it matches the seats i picked out (Also purchased on the forum) from a Vendor.

Here is the Seats link
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...rom-320-a.html

Last edited by White Rabbit; 06-29-2011 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Link added
Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Razzputon
Pro

very nice. Cant wait to see it complete
Old 06-29-2011, 06:41 AM
White Rabbit
Burning Brakes

Everything has been 1 step forward 2 steps back.
I buy the steering wheel then brake 3 AutoZone steering wheel pullers. Finally buy a KD tools puller and it destroys the stock wheel. Thank god my buddies dad just bought a totaled 99.. I bought their steering column and installed.
The white painted items I did Krylon Fuzion (I suck at painting and almost destroyed them). So my painter buddy took them and tried single stage arctic white. Fail.. They didn't mix it right blah blah blah looked like cement gray. I freak out so we go base clear and that's final product. Cost me over $200 after fixing mistakes. But hey it's all white now.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on basically a brand new car when it's all done. I'd say go white on the FRCs with black lettering.

Is the exterior of the car going to be white or black still?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Razzputon
very nice. Cant wait to see it complete
Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

White is right!

For rail covers, I'd go with the "got skulls?" covers in white...it would be sweet if somebody made "Jake" skulls, but until then, that's how I'd go.

Gonna be sweet dood!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Like what you have going on, if it was me with all the white you have going on under the hood I would do my FRCs in Carbon Fibre or air brushed in flames
Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM
chrisj
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

On the fuel rail covers, I'd do white and carbon.

Start with a carbon set and then have them painted like mine. make it so the carbon is showing through in the ripped area. A bigger ripped area could look good. Then you can add flames or whatever if you choose. Or keep it simple.

If you do the carbon route, I recommend the carbon fender covers and possibly intake cover to help tie it all in.

You could also do the one piece intake/fuel rail cover. I think West Coast Corvettes sells a carbon fiber one. Then you can adjust the suggestions above to fit as needed.

chris
Old 06-29-2011, 02:01 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
Like what you have going on, if it was me with all the white you have going on under the hood I would do my FRCs in Carbon Fibre or air brushed in flames
white looks really good but to much of it will kill the eyes...Like what you have going on will look really good when done for sure...
Old 06-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by peter pan
IMO, too much white can be a bad thing. Need a little break up in the color scheme.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Thats some money right there.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:33 PM
White Rabbit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbopower87
Congrats on basically a brand new car when it's all done. I'd say go white on the FRCs with black lettering.

Is the exterior of the car going to be white or black still?
Yeah buddy, arctic white.. and RED Carpet.. still black floor mats though.

Originally Posted by chrisj

Start with a carbon set and then have them painted like mine. make it so the carbon is showing through in the ripped area. A bigger ripped area could look good. Then you can add flames or whatever if you choose. Or keep it simple.

If you do the carbon route, I recommend the carbon fender covers and possibly intake cover to help tie it all in.

You could also do the one piece intake/fuel rail cover. I think West Coast Corvettes sells a carbon fiber one. Then you can adjust the suggestions above to fit as needed.

chris
Im thinking the Carbon inner fender cover like yours and the Carbon brake booster cover then Carbon Fuel Rail covers but only paint a bit of them and break it up with a red pin stripe.

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Thats some money right there.
I lucked out.. paint is only costing me $600 start to finish.. The combo of graduating with the local body shop owners Son gets me the booth for under $100 and great friends that paint cars are doing it for me for cost of materials and bragging rights..

BUT on the Carbon parts i mention i am looking for them used.. there is a guy on the forum selling off all of his but he thinks theyre worth gold..

so if anybody has the (Inner fender covers, Fuel rail covers 97-99, and the brake booster cover in Carbon)

PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Thanks People
Old 06-29-2011, 02:40 PM
White Rabbit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 'Shifter
White is right!

For rail covers, I'd go with the "got skulls?" covers in white...it would be sweet if somebody made "Jake" skulls, but until then, that's how I'd go.

Gonna be sweet dood!

Ive never heard of these? are they cool? do you have pictures? im open to any and all suggestions..
Old 06-29-2011, 03:21 PM
chrisj
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

At the request of White Rabbit, here are some additional shots of my engine bay. The more recent carbon parts I've been buying are from Pat at American Hydrocarbon. Yes, he sells real carbon too.

The alternator cover is from Apsis. It's their C6 unit. The edge that goes down over the alternator bracket was cut down until the unit fit. The power steering cover was a gift from a friend when it wouldn't fit on his new ZR1. I don't know who made it. The caps are hydrocarbon caps that were then sprayed with a tinted clear at my body shop to give them better gloss and depth to get them closer to real carbon.

On to the pics.
Here's a shot before I added the smooth tank covers. I like the smoothed cover with the flames instead of this look! I've also since added a carbon fiber belt tensioner cover.

The paint is hard to photograph. Lots of metallic and pearl. Forgive the lack of orange peel and all the relfections...

Subtle touches are also good. I painted the bottom of the coolant tank because I hated the white plastic. Also, on the battery/fuse cover, I put some speaker grill fabric over the hole and then added an extra black brake duct screen I had. Unfortunately, I lost another brake duct screen so this one has since been installed in its proper place.

Here's the current look.

Like someone said above, I like the idea of breaking things up under the hood. Not just all carbon or all one color. Note I even left the red coupler between the airbridge and the intake to break up the black/blue and tie into the Texas flag.

chris
Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd say keep the roof and halo black, it looks fantastic and coupled with the TPE panels you're getting....uuuugh

Last edited by nvusgt; 06-29-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Progress Update: Pic Heavy Black to White

Old 06-29-2011, 03:32 PM
chrisj
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

You could also accent with red instead of carbon... Would look great. If not red, you could look at another color like cyber grey. It would give you possibly a cheaper option than the Carbon as you have access to low cost painters! Don't forget, you an easily paint that airbridge too. I've done it. Came out pretty good. If you don't want a new coupler, you can add a flex agent to the paint and hit the accordian coupler. Worked for me.

Went back and looked at your photos. Saw you painted the bottom of your surge tank too. Good work! If you don't get replacement caps, I recommend painting your caps. Pull the sticker off the coolant tank and paint it white. Same for washer tank. Then after you pick your accent, do the other caps to match. I've seen the brake booster cover in glass too, so you could get that and paint it.

Also, think about painting the seatbacks white or other accent color. It will really make it pop and seem like a high $$ install!!!

chris
Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 PM
White Rabbit
Burning Brakes

I want the Air Bridge you have, i have found a couple on the forum used for around $100, but i need to get money sent off to a guy that bought some body panels that broke in shipping first. Another thing is my buddy painting the car is moving to Arizona in a few months so i need to get everything done that he will have a hand in first..

I found a guy selling some caps for $300 but i dont think i want to get corn holed like that right now.. Im doing Red carpet with my Mod red interior so red in the engine bay could work..

also i was leaning towards the Carbon side skirts and Carbon front lip but i like the Tiger shark lip too much so do i scratch the carbon side skirts as well??

I already looked into painting the seat backs. the holes for seat belts look like more of a task then i want to tackle. I am currently filling out an app to be sponsored by Corbeau and hopefully that will save me money on seat belts and more Suede material.. just depends on how much they want their name on it and where..

incase you were wondering im looking into some new ZR1 wheels in Comp grey 19/20
and a C6 Z big brake kit but thats down the road..

Jon

Last edited by White Rabbit; 06-29-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM
JerzeyJoe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chrisj

chris

Quick Reply: Progress Update: Pic Heavy Black to White