Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C on Driver's side, Heat on passenger side..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Jeff in Den
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A/C on Driver's side, Heat on passenger side..

Noticed the other day, my '99 coupe's a/c was putting out ice cubes on the driver side, but the passenger side was throwing nothing but hot air. Worked for me, but the wife wasn't happy. I pulled the codes and I was throwing a code B0365 Right Actuator Feedback Short to GND for the HVAC. A quick search pointed me to clearing the code to reindex the actuator ( I could hear the actuators running..) and to try pulling the #27 fuse in the right footwell which I did to no avail.
The condition still exists, not a huge deal as I normally have the roof off for my 'airconditioning' but I'd rather have it working correctly. I've found through searches that the actuator is under the dash to the left of the passenger airbag. The dash needs to be removed in order to remove/repair/replace it. Now I don't mind doing that if that is all that can be done, but I'm curious if anyone has a schematic of the circuit they can post or email to me so I can prove the failure of the actuator before pulling the dash, or have any other methods of getting it to the proper position for cool air?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If your pass. side is blowing hot, Your actuators need re-calibrating, not re-indexing. The #27 fuse will fix it. If you hear a clicking sound from you actuators, that could mean cracked or missing teeth on the actuator. That's another problem that can be repaired, do a search.

Turn off the ignition.
Remove the Fuse of the HVAC control module located in the floor of the pass. side fuse box (fuse #27 only). There is another HVAC fuse (don't recall the #), it does not need removing.

Important: The module memory will not clear if the fuse is re-installed in less than 60 seconds (59 won’t reset it & you don't have to wait 5 minutes either). Wait 60 seconds minimum.
Re-install #27 fuse.
Start car, turn on AC
I have seen it take several tries with the fuse & I’ve heard reports this can be done with the car started & AC on. I’ve had to do mine several times until I learned about spinning the temp ****.

One thing that will throw your actuators out of whack is spinning the temperature selection **** (driver side) too fast (learned this the hard way). If you turn the dial from 90 degrees all the way to 60 degrees in one quick spin, it sometimes doesn’t give the computer that controls the HVAC time to react correctly. This can sometimes cause one side to blow hot and the other side to blow cold. You can often reset this problem by turning the temperature all the way up or down, turn the HVAC off, then back on again, and then SLOWLY rotate the **** all the way in the opposite direction.
You can also try resetting your hvac code in the dic. Turn your key on, turn air on. pull codes in dic, reset code(s), turn air off, restart car. I've seen this work and as usual it may take 3-4 tries.

Hope this helps.

tracer1
The following users liked this post:
edsC5 (04-07-2016)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Jeff in Den
Pro

Originally Posted by tracer1
Hope this helps.

tracer1
tracer1, well, that is pretty much what I did the first time, with the exception of leaving the fuse out for at least a minute. I did what you said about 4-5 times, and I think there is an improvement. Nothing what I would call cold coming out, but an improvement.

I appreciate the assistance, I'm going to dig a little deeper and see what I can find out.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Jeff..
If the air is blowing equal on both sides, you might want to check the freon. I would put gauges on it (not the ones on the cans) & check it that way. If the air is equal on both sides, then the actuators should be OK. Only thing the fuse does is reset them to allow the same amount of air (cool or hot) to flow evenly, won't control the temp. So, have the freon checked. Might help, won't hurt.

tracer1
Old 07-09-2011, 02:57 PM
03newjersey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your pass. side is blowing hot, Your actuators need re-calibrating, not re-indexing. The #27 fuse will fix it. If you hear a clicking sound from you actuators, that could mean cracked or missing teeth on the actuator. That's another problem that can be repaired, do a search.

Turn off the ignition.
Remove the Fuse of the HVAC control module located in the floor of the pass. side fuse box (fuse #27 only). There is another HVAC fuse (don't recall the #), it does not need removing.

Important: The module memory will not clear if the fuse is re-installed in less than 60 seconds (59 won’t reset it & you don't have to wait 5 minutes either). Wait 60 seconds minimum.
Re-install #27 fuse.
Start car, turn on AC
I have seen it take several tries with the fuse & I’ve heard reports this can be done with the car started & AC on. I’ve had to do mine several times until I learned about spinning the temp ****.

One thing that will throw your actuators out of whack is spinning the temperature selection **** (driver side) too fast (learned this the hard way). If you turn the dial from 90 degrees all the way to 60 degrees in one quick spin, it sometimes doesn’t give the computer that controls the HVAC time to react correctly. This can sometimes cause one side to blow hot and the other side to blow cold. You can often reset this problem by turning the temperature all the way up or down, turn the HVAC off, then back on again, and then SLOWLY rotate the **** all the way in the opposite direction.
You can also try resetting your hvac code in the dic. Turn your key on, turn air on. pull codes in dic, reset code(s), turn air off, restart car. I've seen this work and as usual it may take 3-4 tries.

Hope this helps.

tracer1
Recently, on a hot day, I replaced my battery on my 2003 Coupe. When I removed my battery the AC was switched off (had been working fine) and the controls were set to the coldest position. After replacing the battery a couple of weeks later on a cold morning I tried putting the heat on for the first time since replacing the battery and I got cold air on the drivers side and hot air on the pass side.
Thanks to this post, and tracer 1, I tried pulling #27 fuse for a quick fix and it solved the problem the first try.
I would note that after pulling the fuse(with the ignition off) I turned both drivers and pass HVAC controls to hot. After the one minute waiting period I installed the #27 fuse and started the car. I turned the fan on high and after the car warmed up I got heat on both sides. I then SLOWLY turned the HVAC ***** to cold and the AC blew cold air. I then SLOWLY turned the ***** to heat and the heat came on both sides.
I was curious if its a factor regarding the position of the HVAC *****, HOT or COLD on the drivers or pass side, and the specific problem of heat on one side and cold on the other or vice versa prior to starting the car after the fuse pull?
Anyway thanks to you guys I was able to fix this problem myself avoiding the stealership and a monster bill!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Jeff in Den
Pro

Originally Posted by 03newjersey
I was curious if its a factor regarding the position of the HVAC *****, HOT or COLD on the drivers or pass side, and the specific problem of heat on one side and cold on the other or vice versa prior to starting the car after the fuse pull?
I suppose it could be in some way. After researching this a bit, it appears that many people have experienced this situation and it turned out to be the actuator on the side that throws the code. I'm getting it for the right side. Unfortunately, that is the side that requires taking the top of the dash off to access it. The actuator can be repaired in some cases as it is usually a cracked gear. I seldom if ever use the a/c, but use the heat a lot and that works just fine, so I'm going to put this repair off until the colder months.

I may try the procedure you outlined as it's probably the only way I haven't tried it!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:19 PM
galaxie 1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 1999 had b0365 & b0367 codes, so i removed fuse #27, waited a couple mins. replaced, and turned key on for a couple mins. now code b0446 ( out of range )
also if i don't drive the car for 3 to 4 days battery goes dead, anyone have any answers
Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Glad to hear it o3newjersey........

tracer1
Old 07-09-2011, 06:54 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

How old/new is your battery?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 PM
galaxie 1
2nd Gear

Default battery dyeing

How old/new is your battery?
duralast 11/10 800 cold cranking amps 1000 amps
Old 07-09-2011, 10:41 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I assume that's a duralast gold w/115rc. First, I'm not a battery guy but I would have the battery checked (disconnected with a full load put on it). I don't know how qualified Autozone employees are on doing this.
The c5 has a nominal amps pull even in the sleep mode but it shouldn't kill it within 4-5 days, at least it doesn't mine. Check the chassis ground (#9, I think) for a corroded ground, check the terminals on the battery for corrosion & tightness (but don't over tighten), they have a torque spec also. As I said the C5 is notorious for battery drain but with a little common sense and ground connector cleaning, works wonders.
That's where I would start first at least. There are so many other variables, alternator, ipod connection, shorts, etc to just mention a few. A lot of guys will say, just put a battery tender on it, which you can. That may treat the problem but it won't be the cure. Personally, I like to know what is killing it, but hey, that's me.
A lot of guys are more knowledgeable on this than I am, so if any are out there, chime in. I'm always willing to learn also.

Good luck
tracer1

Last edited by tracer1; 07-09-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 AM
TerriZeee
2nd Gear

After pulling the number 27 fuse over and over again and even disconnecting the battery for over an hour plus clearing the DIC B0367 Right Actuator Feedback Open code many times with it instantly returning I just ordered Air Door Actuator; Temp w/ Automatic control for my 1998 with automatic temperature control.

Not looking forward to spending a few hours pulling the dashboard but with saving hundreds of dollars it seems worth spending a few hours taking screws in and out.

Last edited by TerriZeee; 05-11-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 AM
TerriZeee
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TerriZeee
After pulling the number 27 fuse over and over again and even disconnecting the battery for over an hour plus clearing the DIC B0367 Right Actuator Feedback Open code many times with it instantly returning I just ordered Air Door Actuator; Temp w/ Automatic control for my 1998 with automatic temperature control.

Not looking forward to spending a few hours pulling the dashboard but with saving hundreds of dollars it seems worth spending a few hours taking screws in and out.
Well that was no fun but at a savings of hundreds of dollars it was worth spending an afternoon getting dirty.

The new actuator was $90 with shipping.

I had to take apart the new actuator in order to rotate the gear so that it lined up with the shaft but that was the only issue that I ran into. Taking the dash apart is actually pretty easy to do.

The new actuator is a lot different inside that the old one. The shaft and gear are one piece all made out of plastic unlike the old one that was a plastic gear around a metal shaft and the potentiometer is part of it unlike the old one that the potentiometer was part of the blue gear. New one was also a lot lighter than the old one.

I took the old one apart and you can see the broken gear in the picture.

Last edited by TerriZeee; 05-11-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C on Driver's side, Heat on passenger side..

Quick Reply: A/C on Driver's side, Heat on passenger side..