Sponsored by:

Cowl hoods

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM
vette time
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl hoods

Im looking at getting a cowl hood for the vette and im not sure where to really go. I dont like the kenne bell hood because its too tall. I like the tigershark hood but i have yet to find a picture of one of a c5 without a tigershark front bumper and a c5r front lip. I plan on going with a kenne bell or something and cutting the hood and having it stick out of the hood a bit but im not sure what hood would look the best. Im a ford guy just getting into the vette scene. If you have pics of cowl hoods please post them up and where i could get them. Thanks you.

-Drew
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Another option is either a Motor City Mold hood (may have to find one used) or one that looks just like it - there are vendors here that sell them.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by vette time
Im looking at getting a cowl hood for the vette and im not sure where to really go. I dont like the kenne bell hood because its too tall. I like the tigershark hood but i have yet to find a picture of one of a c5 without a tigershark front bumper and a c5r front lip. I plan on going with a kenne bell or something and cutting the hood and having it stick out of the hood a bit but im not sure what hood would look the best. Im a ford guy just getting into the vette scene. If you have pics of cowl hoods please post them up and where i could get them. Thanks you.

-Drew
If you are going to cut the hood for the Kenny Bell, why get another hood.. ( leaving the hood open on a C5 is not the best thing to do. ) But its your car.. Not sure why you want a cowl hood anyway especially if you are going to cut it open.. there is no gain buy cutting the rear of the hood close to the windshield.. there is negative pressure there which only serves to keep any air flow trapped at the base of the windshield. The Kenny Belle draws no air through an opening above the charger. Your plan seems to have no real purpose. A " Cowl Hood " is a hood with an opening at the rear of the hood at the cowl.. that why its called a cowl hood, but on a C5 a cowl hood servers no purpose. Al C5 hood that are truely functional have a mid port opening like the C5R hoods.. or the MCM hoods. No one uses a true cowl hood on a C5 for functionality.. a cowl hood screams: " I have no idea why I put this hood on my car "

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-05-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 AM
vette time
Intermediate

i like it cuz it looks sick! look at the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQVVfhLARHQ

and some people prefer looks too. I like the tigershark hood alot and i might go with that and not cut it. I want something that looks sweet. Also if i go with tigershark im going with a procharger or STS rear mount turbos
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
If you are going to cut the hood for the Kenny Bell, why get another hood.. ( leaving the hood open on a C5 is not the best thing to do. ) But its your car.. Not sure why you want a cowl hood anyway especially if you are going to cut it open.. there is no gain buy cutting the rear of the hood close to the windshield.. there is negative pressure there which only serves to keep any air flow trapped at the base of the windshield. The Kenny Belle draws no air through an opening above the charger. Your plan seems to have no real purpose. A " Cowl Hood " is a hood with an opening at the rear of the hood at the cowl.. that why its called a cowl hood, but on a C5 a cowl hood servers no purpose. Al C5 hood that are truely functional have a mid port opening like the C5R hoods.. or the MCM hoods. No one uses a true cowl hood on a C5 for functionality.. a cowl hood screams: " I have no idea why I put this hood on my car "

I was about to ask, why put a cowl hood on a car that sucks air from the front? Then I got to your comment.

I have seen people do a lot of high rise cowl hoods on LS Camaros and Corvettes, and thought, ok, it looks nice, but it is completely screwed up as to function.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:43 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

-Drew
Hard to beat our current pricing on a cowl hood

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...uy-pt-2-a.html

There are a couple pix on there (both pages) without having a Tigershark front.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 AM
MT0911
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Hard to beat our current pricing on a cowl hood

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...uy-pt-2-a.html

There are a couple pix on there (both pages) without having a Tigershark front.
I almost feel like breaking down and buying one... I'd love the look of that hood on my Vette. Carbon Fiber on Black looks amazing.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

i like it cuz it looks sick! look at the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQVVfhLARHQ

and some people prefer looks too. I like the tigershark hood alot and i might go with that and not cut it. I want something that looks sweet. Also if i go with tigershark im going with a procharger or STS rear mount turbos
Let me guess, you are 18 years old..
First its a Kenny bell belt drive screw charger, now its a pro charger or rear turbos... you are not even sure if you want a super charger or a turbo charger. if you cut a hole in the hood you wont be able to stick a pro charger through the hole.. and also if they are in the rear, cutting a hole in the hood wont help you to see them... It would have just been easier to post a request to see some after market hoods.. its obvious by your post and your all over the place plan that you are just a kid... not even sure you own a C5... better chance that your a kid, or a ford troll. IN any event welcome to the Corvette C5 forum. In order for us to give you help and advice, you have to have some assemblance of maturity. otherwise it becomes a waste of time for us who are willing to help genuine seekers of knowledge. There is nothing wrong with wanting something to look sick.. it is another thing to just be sick....
With love
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-06-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy a new cowl hood and cut a big hole in it, that sounds soooo coool! Please post picks after your done so we can all see your hood! I'm sure we would all enjoy a good laugh!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:34 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

mine... NO Supercharger.. Work in progress though...
Old 07-06-2011, 01:16 PM
vette time
Intermediate

Let me guess, you are 18 years old..
First its a Kenny bell belt drive screw charger, now its a pro charger or rear turbos... you are not even sure if you want a super charger or a turbo charger. if you cut a hole in the hood you wont be able to stick a pro charger through the hole.. and also if they are in the rear, cutting a hole in the hood wont help you to see them... It would have just been easier to post a request to see some after market hoods.. its obvious by your post and your all over the place plan that you are just a kid... not even sure you own a C5... better chance that your a kid, or a ford troll. IN any event welcome to the Corvette C5 forum. In order for us to give you help and advice, you have to have some assemblance of maturity. otherwise it becomes a waste of time for us who are willing to help genuine seekers of knowledge. There is nothing wrong with wanting something to look sick.. it is another thing to just be sick....
With love
Bill aka ET
Your correct about the 18 part. I'm not as stupid as i may appear to be though. I have to wait for the gentlemen who currently owns the vette to arrive home from work next week and then i can go and pick up the car, so for now, i am researching which type of blower system will work better for my needs, hence why im not sure. I like the twin screw but i wanna hear the blower when i idle, which then leads to a procharger. I like turbos, because of the ease to adjust boost levels, and the sound of the turbo spooling, however; i dont like how i cant have longtubes, so that eliminates turbos. I have a p1sc on my mustang now and i love it so im probobly going with procharger but im going to do more research before i spend my money. So to better answer your question to what this thread is about, im basically looking to see different types of cowl hoods, or any other hood for that matter that looks nice on the c5 vette without being over-the-top. My apologies for the confusion and 18 year-old-logic.

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06

looks real nice man!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Your correct about the 18 part. I'm not as stupid as i may appear to be though. I have to wait for the gentlemen who currently owns the vette to arrive home from work next week and then i can go and pick up the car, so for now, i am researching which type of blower system will work better for my needs, hence why im not sure. I like the twin screw but i wanna hear the blower when i idle, which then leads to a procharger. I like turbos, because of the ease to adjust boost levels, and the sound of the turbo spooling, however; i dont like how i cant have longtubes, so that eliminates turbos. I have a p1sc on my mustang now and i love it so im probobly going with procharger but im going to do more research before i spend my money. So to better answer your question to what this thread is about, im basically looking to see different types of cowl hoods, or any other hood for that matter that looks nice on the c5 vette without being over-the-top. My apologies for the confusion and 18 year-old-logic.

looks real nice man!
I am very impressed with your honesty, most people your age want to pound their chest and be confrontational when their apparent man hood is being challenged., It's not an accident that I was able to detect your age.. after 12000 help post and 15000 private message posts, some things become very obvious to me. If you are looking to get into a C5, you could not find a better place to research options, than the C5 forum. There are many knowledgeable people here, there are also many legends in their own mind who actually think they know something about this car, but in fact are clueless... the trick it is seek out the knowledge, and avoid those who claim to know something. there are far more legends in their own mind here, than there are competent enablers of this car. So as I say often, be careful who you listen too on this forum. some of us have real credentials and pedigree's but many are just doggs !....
Again welcome to the forum
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-06-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very impressed with your honesty, most people your age want to pound their chest and be confrontational when their apparent man hood is being challenged.
I too was impressed with his much more mature response than yours.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by my02cents
I too was impressed with his much more mature response than yours.
Friends
my02cents has not made any friends yet ...( from your profile page )

I was only pointing out the obvious, but true to form, there is always some jack *** to come in and make a real nice enchange, something less than desirable. It just goes to prove that there are a lot of mindless children of any age found here. No wonder you have no friends !.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:42 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Tigershark @ JWM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...d-fascias.html

You can't beat the looks and fit of them.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:07 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Friends
my02cents has not made any friends yet ...( from your profile page )

I was only pointing out the obvious, but true to form, there is always some jack *** to come in and make a real nice enchange, something less than desirable. It just goes to prove that there are a lot of mindless children of any age found here. No wonder you have no friends !.
That was so funny. I don't gauge my status or characteristics by how many people befriend me on Corvette forum. The many friends I have on here I know and deal with in real life.

You were baiting for an argument, that's why you were surprised by his reaction. You could of said it in a less condescending and provoking manner. There is always someone azzhat on these forums that come in here thinking they know everything and own the forums. Like you are the only one on here with a valid opinion.

No wonder all of your friends are on the internet!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:18 PM
vette time
Intermediate

I am very impressed with your honesty, most people your age want to pound their chest and be confrontational when their apparent man hood is being challenged., It's not an accident that I was able to detect your age.. after 12000 help post and 15000 private message posts, some things become very obvious to me. If you are looking to get into a C5, you could not find a better place to research options, than the C5 forum. There are many knowledgeable people here, there are also many legends in their own mind who actually think they know something about this car, but in fact are clueless... the trick it is seek out the knowledge, and avoid those who claim to know something. there are far more legends in their own mind here, than there are competent enablers of this car. So as I say often, be careful who you listen too on this forum. some of us have real credentials and pedigree's but many are just doggs !....
Again welcome to the forum
Bill aka ET

Very nice man, is that a MCM hood? Honesty is key, I learned that if you lie, you'll forget at one point, then have to continue with the B.S. to get out of the last lie that was made. And i dont see a point in fighting on the internet, your probobly never going to meet the person on the other side and its not going to get you anywhere anyway so why act tough when the only person your going to satisfy is yourself. Anyway, i do like your hood, I LOVED the tigershark hood but i dont like how far up the dip in the hood is compared to yours.
-Drew

Get notified of new replies

To Cowl hoods

Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack *** comment on the assumption of age. I got my vette vette when I was 18, and you dnt see me callin out ppls age sayin "you must be 55". Evil-twin I know your highly regarded on this forum, but there's no need to call out owners ages for no reason or at all for that matter. Nothing his post said should have needed a response like that. I like how he replied with maturity but I can't see a post like that and not say something.

That being said, continue.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 PM
MT0911
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Man every time I see your Vette, it just looks sick. One of the reasons why I want this hood . Good work .
Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 PM
vette time
Intermediate

im liking the MCM hood more and more. And no i will not be cutting a hole in it.

Quick Reply: Cowl hoods