Sponsored by:

Bent Rim

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 PM
physman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Rim

I having a bit of a dilema. When I bought my 97 corvette I had to buy new tires. When I took it in to get the tires replaced, the tire shop informed me that my front left rim was slightly bent. He said that it would not be a big deal, unless driving at high speeds. The problem I have been having is that my rims are the original wagon wheels that came with the car, but have been powdercoated flat black. So finding just a replacement rim would be impossible, unless I repowdercoat all the rims so they would match. I really do not like the flat black look anyway. Since my pocket book is just about empty, I been looking for used corvette rims that are in good shape and will not break my bank account. I have looked on the Corvette Forum, JW Motoring, Tire Rack, and on Ebay. I found some pretty good deals, but here is another problem. I live in a small town and if you don't buy the rims from them, they will not provide service to switch them out, or will charge me an arm and leg to do it. So either way you look at it, I am going to be paying for a new set of rims which I cannot afford at the moment. All I want to do is drive my vette without having to worry.

Any ideas?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:11 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I would think that your tire shop guy would treat you right on a wheel change out.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
physman
Instructor

Originally Posted by f6john
I would think that your tire shop guy would treat you right on a wheel change out.
Most the time they do. I get free rotations. Oh that's right, I can not rotate my vette tires. Well, in that case, they don't. The tire shops in my town are very proud and take offense when you buy elsewhere. When you burn them once, you might as well move to another town.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Sorry, misread the initial post

"delete"
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
physman
Instructor

ttt
Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 PM
soggysailor
Pro

I've seen some sets of wagon wheels go for a song. Keep an eye out for a cheap set and replace them all. If a couple hundred bucks will break the bank.......... Don't drive at high speeds and save your money till you can afford to deal with this.

Also is wheel straightening an option??
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 PM
physman
Instructor

Originally Posted by sogysailor
I've seen some sets of wagon wheels go for a song. Keep an eye out for a cheap set and replace them all. If a couple hundred bucks will break the bank.......... Don't drive at high speeds and save your money till you can afford to deal with this.

Also is wheel straightening an option??
I ask the tire shop about straightening the rim and they said no.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 PM
maroman88
Pro

ask a wheel repair shop, not a tire shop. i had a chrome wagon wheel repaired last year and came out good as new
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM
steele11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for just 1 front wheel, i have one for sale. Since you have them powdercoated flat black then maybe you could plati dip them all so they look the same. I could even plasti dip the wheel for you, maybe it'll look close enough until you can afford new wheels. I'd do $50 shipped.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...gon-wheel.html

here is what they look like plasti dipped
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...my-wheels.html

Last edited by steele11; 07-19-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by physman
I ask the tire shop about straightening the rim and they said no.
Contact these guys:

http://www.pantherwheels.ca/

and don't worry about the hassle of shipping to Canada, you ship to a WA address, and they go across the border and pick them up

Get notified of new replies

To Bent Rim

Quick Reply: Bent Rim