Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys do if you have a flat tire in C5? Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 102 Posts

Default What do you guys do if you have a flat tire in C5? Advice?

Hi,
I recently bought a 2003 Z06 (Black). Bought it with the intentions of it being a daily driver. Even took it on a semi-long trip to Maryland from NC.
Came home and a couple of days later, hit a sharp object on the road which cut the sidewall of my tire. (I don't have run-flats). It was only a couple of miles from home but when I got home, I saw the tire was completely out of air and there was a slit in the sidewall.
Now the car sits until my tire gets delivered. 295/35/18 is not a tire that most places stock.
What if this would have happened on a long trip? What advice can you all give me so I don't get stranded? C5s weren't offered with a spare tire, right?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:20 AM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Studying4boards
Hi,
I recently bought a 2003 Z06 (Black). Bought it with the intentions of it being a daily driver. Even took it on a semi-long trip to Maryland from NC.
Came home and a couple of days later, hit a sharp object on the road which cut the sidewall of my tire. (I don't have run-flats). It was only a couple of miles from home but when I got home, I saw the tire was completely out of air and there was a slit in the sidewall.
Now the car sits until my tire gets delivered. 295/35/18 is not a tire that most places stock.
What if this would have happened on a long trip? What advice can you all give me so I don't get stranded? C5s weren't offered with a spare tire, right?
One of the pitfalls of owning a C5 or later model. Some carry a donut tire, Ummm, I prefer to carry a flat tire kit and my cell phone. You will get a plethora of suggestions on this, and then you can make the 'call' which works for you brother, no pun intended !!
The following 2 users liked this post by 2FAS4UU:
SG Lou (10-12-2015), Studying4boards (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 11:25 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I keep a Plug kit in the back, along with a 12v compressor, Tyvek Suit, gloves. If I plan on going on a long trip I'll throw in a low profile jack and folding lug wrench. Get a sidewall puncture and all the stuff I mentioned is useless

Last edited by SG Lou; 10-12-2015 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Studying4boards (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 11:30 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

A sidewall damage would most likely compromise a runflat from a safety standpoint.

For a slow/small leak you can get a 12 volt compressor to keep in the car.

If you had a spare you would still need the equipment to jack up the car and change a tire. Or, call some one to get it up for replacement.

Mr. Sam
Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I use a can a inflator/sealer. It gets me home or to a shop. It has saved me several times in my other Corvette and my other cars. Takes 30 seconds to get back on the road. The problem with runflats, which they don't tell you, is if you drive any distance the structural integrity is gone and the tire needs to be replaced. Since tires have to be replaced in pairs, a simple puncture can cost you the price of two tires instead of 5 bucks for a can of sealer and 25 bucks to patch the tire..

Sidewall damage and blowouts, you will need a tow.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Wop1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,
I ran run flats for a few years, living with the noise and rough ride. When the time came to replace them, I decided as long as I have AAA and a cell phone, run flats are out.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:02 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

It's the price you pay for driving an exotic car. A run-flat will only get you so far and then you have the same problem as a non run-flat. On a long trip, you'll have to wait for a tire to be delivered to wherever you may be, generally a couple of days at the most. There is also a good chance that a local tire shop will have used tire around that will get you home in a pinch. For me - it's worth the risk. Others must make their own decision.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:48 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts

I drive my Z06 pretty extensively during the warm months (20k+ miles). I added TPMS to my car so I can keep track of tire pressures. It has helped on two ocassions. Cost is under $300. You have to buy the sensors, have them installed, and have someone turn the feature on in the computer. Well worth it in my opinion.

I also carry the inflator and plug kit.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:56 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Cell phone and call up my insurance for roadside service. If I have to stay overnight or whatever I just enjoy the extra time off. There are car rentals in case you have to wait a day or two. Make the best of it.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
One of the pitfalls of owning a C5 or later model. Some carry a donut tire, Ummm, I prefer to carry a flat tire kit and my cell phone. You will get a plethora of suggestions on this, and then you can make the 'call' which works for you brother, no pun intended !!
Is there a donut tire available for a C5 and where would I buy one. That might be nice to have on a long trip.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SG Lou
I keep a Plug kit in the back, along with a 12v compressor, Tyvek Suit, gloves. If I plan on going on a long trip I'll throw in a low profile jack and folding lug wrench. Get a sidewall puncture and all the stuff I mentioned is useless
That is exactly what I got, a sidewall puncture.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If I were to get a cut in the sidewall I know my car is going to get flat bedded. (non run flats and car is too low to tow even if I were crazy enough to allow that.)

I have a tire plug kit and cigarette lighter plug-in tire pump for something that is otherwise repairable. I also have a small sizer-jack and tire iron to remove the tire if the hole were not accessible without removing the tire.

Your Z should have come with a flat repair kit ( inflator pump and liquid to put in the tire) for small holes. Check the rear center storage compartment. Also check the expire date on the bottle of liquid. Probably long since expired....

https://www.google.com/search?q=C5Z0...436Gf-0wqZw%3D
Thanks for the reply. No flat repair kit in my car. I do have an inflator which I'll start putting in my car.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Where would you put it in the Z06 when on a trip??? Assuming you could find something that would mount properly to the car???
Yeah it would take up pretty much the whole trunk space.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Wow, never thought about this issue before I bought the Vette. But after having had a flat, I'm stressing.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:12 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts

Found the link to the procedure for the activation of the TPMS system in the Z06 computer.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13418432474531
Old 10-12-2015, 03:11 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

If I were anywhere near my house...I would limp the car back there and order a new tire....ship it somewhere close and just pull the wheel/tire and take it to the tire shop. If I were out of town.......I would be at the mercy of whatever tires shop I could get to and see if they have the tire in stock or had to order. I also have AAA as a back up...but that won't take care of not having a tire in stock locally. BTW....I also have another set of rims/tires at the house...so I could always slap something else on in a pinch.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

No guaranteed solution to a flat tire on a Corvette. Donut spare is really not a workable solution. Run Flats work for the minor puncture as you can drive perhaps 50 miles but there really is no solution for a sidewall puncture.

Just found this solution if you have the money:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-the-us.html
WOW..!

Get notified of new replies

To What do you guys do if you have a flat tire in C5? Advice?

Old 10-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
If I were anywhere near my house...I would limp the car back there and order a new tire....ship it somewhere close and just pull the wheel/tire and take it to the tire shop. If I were out of town.......I would be at the mercy of whatever tires shop I could get to and see if they have the tire in stock or had to order. I also have AAA as a back up...but that won't take care of not having a tire in stock locally. BTW....I also have another set of rims/tires at the house...so I could always slap something else on in a pinch.
That's exactly what happened to me. I was about 2 miles from home and my front tire hit the debris and made it fly and hit my rear tire. I was even unaware that the rear tire had been hit. The driving characteristics didn't even change and the car didn't swerve any. Upon getting home, I immediately ran to the front left tire to see if there had been any damage and to my relief there was none. Thinking I was lucky and having a big smile on my face, I went to shut the door and that is when I saw the rear tire. It was completely flat with a 2 inch tear in the sidewall. But the car behaved normally..!! My heart sank because the rear tires are so much wider and expensive. It was some sort of sharp tool, perhaps for brick masonry that must have fallen off some construction worker's truck. I have never cursed an unknown person so much for not tying up their cargo before.

But yeah, I got home. The car is parked and I ordered a tire. It should arrive by Friday and I'll take the rim off and have it mounted.

Wish there was a better solution than run flat tires. I definitely believe in spare tires. I've had a couple of flats in my life and only once have I had a tire shred.

Still thanking the lord that this happened in town and not while I was out of town a couple of days ago. So I guess I'm really lucky.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:56 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 237 Likes on 108 Posts
Oldtimer

Cell phone and insurance with roadside service.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:20 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

That's exactly what happened to me. I was about 2 miles from home and my front tire hit the debris and made it fly and hit my rear tire. I was even unaware that the rear tire had been hit. The driving characteristics didn't even change and the car didn't swerve any. Upon getting home, I immediately ran to the front left tire to see if there had been any damage and to my relief there was none. Thinking I was lucky and having a big smile on my face, I went to shut the door and that is when I saw the rear tire. It was completely flat with a 2 inch tear in the sidewall. But the car behaved normally..!! My heart sank because the rear tires are so much wider and expensive. It was some sort of sharp tool, perhaps for brick masonry that must have fallen off some construction worker's truck. I have never cursed an unknown person so much for not tying up their cargo before.

But yeah, I got home. The car is parked and I ordered a tire. It should arrive by Friday and I'll take the rim off and have it mounted.

Wish there was a better solution than run flat tires. I definitely believe in spare tires. I've had a couple of flats in my life and only once have I had a tire shred.

Still thanking the lord that this happened in town and not while I was out of town a couple of days ago. So I guess I'm really lucky.

This is a better solution. I even use it when I have a spare tire. Takes a minute to get back on the road and you don't have to wait hours for the service truck. It will get you home where you can remove the tire and take it to the shop to get patched or drive to the tire shop. Nothing easier. Turns a flat tire into no big deal. Not to mention you don't have to buy a new runflat tire.

Last edited by JR-01; 10-12-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: What do you guys do if you have a flat tire in C5? Advice?