Sponsored by:

replacing windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM
ghallam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replacing windshield

A rock hit my windshield, and I now have a 8 inch crack. Does anybody know what brand of windshield is best?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C5 windshields are not cheap, I had mine replaced about a year ago and I think the bill was about 1700.00 for a HUD windshield, luckily insurance covered it. As far as which brand is best I think that they all have to meet certain safety standards and they are all going to look the same. The difference is going to be the quality of the installation and not so much the glass. So make sure you bring it to a place that does it there like safelite and avoid the mobile repairs that come to you. I had mine done at safelite and it came out perfect.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 PM
LS2NSUV
Burning Brakes

I've never had to replace the corvette windshield, but a few of my other cars I have. On both my Siverado and Trailblazer, I also used Safelite installers. Completely satisfied with their work. Both times they were mobile services and I had zero issues with either. Installers were very thorough and neat.

Also, my glass breakage deductible is lower than my standard deductible, so I opted to have factory glass put in. Factory glass is obviously more of a premium than non, but basically it's the same glass. It just won't have the chevy logo. In other words, the OEM glass in the silvy was Pilkington. The TB had Guardian. Safelite also carries non OEM Pilkington and Guardian. Same manufactured glass, just no logo. OEM glass was almost $600 installed on each pre-mentioned vehicle. Non OEM would have been around $200.(this was a couple years back)

The same goes for other W/S as well. Safelite, PPG, Guardian, Pilkington. These are all quality products. Just avoid "joe the mechanic" who says he can do it for ya. Some smaller companies are known to use seconds, which could have slight imperfections in the glass. Just stick with the well known installers and you'll be OK. I would use Safelite again in a heartbeat.

mik
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Safelite should do just fine for you. They do good work and the product is also a good choice.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

I just had mine done, and was horrified to learn that there are no American-made windshield companies left...your choice is Chinese or Mexican.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 PM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that the convertible and ZR1 windshields are different from the coupe. They are thinner lighter.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GeneT
I believe that the convertible and ZR1 windshields are different from the coupe. They are thinner lighter.
I'm pretty sure that the differences in the C5 windshields are either HUD's or non HUD"S. The thinner lighter ones are for the Z06's. Coupes and Verts basically use the same windshields.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 PM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vettmann17
I'm pretty sure that the differences in the C5 windshields are either HUD's or non HUD"S. The thinner lighter ones are for the Z06's. Coupes and Verts basically use the same windshields.
Well, we're both right........from corvsport.com and I've seen it other places as well.................

"To help with weight-savings, all 2002 Corvette Convertibles equipped with a Heads Up Display (HUD) received a slightly thinner, 4.8mm thick windshield (as compared to the previous 5.4mm that had been standard on all Corvettes prior to 2002.) This thinner windshield would provide a weight savings of 2.65 lbs per car. While some consideration was given as to whether or not the thinner windshield could withstand the additional wind/drive forces it was subjected to, it was ultimately approved that it should be included as a standard option on all Z06s that year as well. All base model coupes and convertibles not equipped with a HUD were still issued the standard 5.4 mm windshield."
Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GeneT
Well, we're both right........from corvsport.com and I've seen it other places as well.................

"To help with weight-savings, all 2002 Corvette Convertibles equipped with a Heads Up Display (HUD) received a slightly thinner, 4.8mm thick windshield (as compared to the previous 5.4mm that had been standard on all Corvettes prior to 2002.) This thinner windshield would provide a weight savings of 2.65 lbs per car. While some consideration was given as to whether or not the thinner windshield could withstand the additional wind/drive forces it was subjected to, it was ultimately approved that it should be included as a standard option on all Z06s that year as well. All base model coupes and convertibles not equipped with a HUD were still issued the standard 5.4 mm windshield."
I learn something new here everyday. Yes you are correct, I was always under the impression that my windshield was the thicker one and that they were all the same on non Z06's. Thanks for doing the fact finding, next time I'll take the time to do some research before stating what I think is the obvious.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:13 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

I had mine replaced recently by insurance.

The company the glass came from lists the same part number for both HUD and non HUD cars. The guy from the glass company called the manufacturer and was told all their C5 windshields are HUD capable.

I was skeptical to say the least. He asked me to let him set it in place on the car and I could sit in the car and inspect it... I agreed.

I was impressed. The HUD was crystal clear, no shadows or double vision and there was no visual imperfecton or distortion in the glass anywhere. I told them to go ahead and install it.

Here is the glass bug:
Old 09-16-2011, 06:17 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some good info here

Chuck

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...placement.html
Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
ghallam
Advanced

Thanks for all the input. I had the windshield replaced on Friday. We settled on AP Tech. It was the OEM glass, and all the glass in the car has AP Tech on it. It does also have HUD on the glass. The work was excellent, they even replaced the rubber moulding.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 PM
mariofromnewyork
Late Model Domestics
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ghallam
Thanks for all the input. I had the windshield replaced on Friday. We settled on AP Tech. It was the OEM glass, and all the glass in the car has AP Tech on it. It does also have HUD on the glass. The work was excellent, they even replaced the rubber moulding.
What Company?

Mobile or Station?

What rubber?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM
ghallam
Advanced

The company was Best Glass in Phoenix, AZ. They did it mobile, in front of my office. I believe it was the moulding that is the top of the windshild and the two side pillars that the door windows would come in contact with.

Get notified of new replies

To replacing windshield

Quick Reply: replacing windshield