Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Anyone know how to replace the outside mirror glass?

Old 09-27-2011, 03:08 AM
KBL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know how to replace the outside mirror glass?

Driver's side door, took out what I thought was the glass and I have another layer of glass, what's the deal?
Layer underneath.

New mirror waiting to go in.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Search is your friend: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ome-apart.html
Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM
KBL
Instructor

Thanks for the reply but this doesn't address my issue anyone with any other ideas?
Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KBL
Thanks for the reply but this doesn't address my issue anyone with any other ideas?
Maybe ya need to read it again, carefully. This is the basic procedure for just about all modern cars....That's why thieves go shopping for mirrors instead of buying new. The mirrors just snap off, 2 seconds, poof, gone, easy.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KBL
Forgive me... What exactly is your issue? I thought you wanted to know how to remove the side mirror glass since that's what you stated in your first post and your thread title.

Last edited by cdkcorvette7; 09-27-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 PM
KBL
Instructor

All I want to do is replace the glass. Unknown to me at the time I have the heated self dimming glass thus the two pieces of glass. I don't need the heating part but the self dimming would be nice but then I have to worry about the mirror "browning" on me again. What I have decided to do is paste my new mirror over the one you see in the picture. I was hoping to get to the backing plate when I removed the first mirror thus direct glue of my new mirror, no such luck. Hope this is making some sense now.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:08 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Check with Corvette America as I believe they offer a replacement mirror kit that will give you all the OEM functions. Not sure you are supposed to remove the glass the way you have done it. Vette or Corvette Magazine ran a feature article a few months back on fixing a broken mirror. They purchased the kit from Corvette America. Seem to recall they moved the mirror all the way to the outside and then they were able to gently pry and unsnap the mirror from the motor mechanism.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:17 PM
SuzukiDan7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know how you got the outer layer of glass off without removing the whole mirror face assembly! I just took mine apart and I had to spend 10 minutes just pulling back the black plastic trim , which also contains the wiring for the auto dim glass.
I did manage to remove the outer glass (mostly transparent) and under it was some dark liquid that went running out everywhere. Its strange stuff as it started drying on the table into a sort of glue.
I cleaned that crap off with a degreaser and realized the glass underneath is actually just a regular mirror.. making the replacement ebay mirror I just bought a complete waste of money. Oops.

Long story short, these were definitely not designed to be taken apart. I was careful but I still slightly damaged the plastic trim and the outer clear glass a little (chipped it a tiny bit).
Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

what you are looking for is an electrochromatic mirror glass replacement. gmpartwarehouse.com and gene culley are the folks who can help you out. the mirror is NOT electric in any way (i just replaced mine because it finally gave up after 7 years). the entire glass assembly pulls out of the housing (and should come out in 1 piece, not 2). there are several mount points and the vertical and horizontal adjustment points. i know there are several posts here describing in detail the procedure. what happens (the reason for the "browning" as you call it) is that the layers of the glass start to separate and the chemical liquid that created the auto dimming starts to leak between the layers of glass. the replacement isn't cheap but it is worth it to keep it original and functioning properly. the other option is to just replace the OEM with a regular mirror glass replacement. that piece is really inexpensive comparatively.

i'm guessing that what you are seeing is a replacement regular mirror that someone put over the OEM electrochromatic mirror. what you rememoved was the replacement leaving the original behind. there are definitely NOT 2 layers of glass that you should be able to remove.

Last edited by srs244; 10-12-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Dimming glass $235.00, regular heated glass $60.00

I went the $60.00 option because the dimming glass is useless in my case. My windows are 20% tinted, so I get no glare anyway.

You cannot just replace the outer glass since the mirror's functionality is already damaged. if you want to stay with dimming glass, the whole assembly pops off and the new one snaps in place. Just be prepared to fork out $235.00 for the mirror.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know how to replace the outside mirror glass?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone know how to replace the outside mirror glass?