Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Gauge Not Working...

Old 10-23-2011, 10:00 PM
McLendon95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Gauge Not Working...

I searched for recent topics on this, because I know there have been some, but I couldn't find them
Anyway, my gas gauge sort of just stopped working today... I know there was about a quarter tank in the car last night, so I drove it all day, as usual, hoping that it would fix itself, but it did not. The range on the DIC said 47 miles just now, when I parked it.
What's the issue? Bad gas? I was thinking that it could have been due to me putting Arco premium in the tank last time, as apposed to Chevron premium that I'd normally put in it. I seem to remember reading about that being a problem with these cars.
Any thoughts would be very appreciated.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez

Probably best thing to do is fill it up with Chevron Premium, already having the Techron in it, but I'd add a bottle to the full tank too. That should get it straighten out. I don't use Chevron at home much, since I've found a couple of stations close with ethanol-free gas, but I still add a bottle of Techron every other tank full.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:28 PM
futuretech
Drifting

Try seafoam and hope it works. Otherwise expensive fuel tank fix.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 PM
atmsrus1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Techron Techron Techron. Fill it with Premium Chevron gas and add a bottle of techron. I had this not work once but then had to add another bottle of techron then let it sit about an hour and the next time I fired it up gas gauge worked fine. The guy that I bought my car from had just had the $900 gas tank fix done on the car and it still happened to me within a month. So use a bottle of techron at least every two tanks of gas.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:37 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ight=gas+gauge

There's plenty more if those don't work for you. That's just in recent C5 General, I didn't even search Tech.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Xx_Black-out
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'12

It's a fairly common problem with C5's
Old 10-23-2011, 11:20 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Just clear your codes via the DIC and your gauge will start working again...

It's a 10 second job...

You can waste your money on Techron but I wouldn't. Just go back to Chevron and everything will correct itself over time...
Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by KCvetteowner
Just clear your codes via the DIC and your gauge will start working again...

It's a 10 second job...

You can waste your money on Techron but I wouldn't. Just go back to Chevron and everything will correct itself over time...
Old 10-23-2011, 11:29 PM
McLendon95
Instructor

Thanks guys... That's what I figured. I'll add the techron tomorrow after I fill up. But before I do that, I will try clearing the codes to see if that does the trick.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 PM
LMFD296
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Techron. works everytime! well for me it has
Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 AM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by McLendon95
Thanks guys... That's what I figured. I'll add the techron tomorrow after I fill up. But before I do that, I will try clearing the codes to see if that does the trick.
It will do the "trick". My 2002 has dropped to empty well over 40 times. Finally found the right gas and haven't had an issue in three years. Never replaced anything in the fuel tank.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My gas gauge does that fairly often. Every 4 fill ups? Techron usually fixes it, but I feel like I'm on borrowed time.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:31 AM
alankb
Pro

Default Techron

I've added probably a gallon of the stuff. My gauge still goes to zero from time to time. Now I just enter diagnostic mode and reset it and it works fine again. I think I will try the seafoam, but in the end it is a "chemical cure for a mechanical problem." Now, I will surely get an argument about that because the problem is a buildup of sulpher on the sender, which is, of course a chemical of sorts..
Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM
MStrahan
Burning Brakes

Another Techron supporter here. It took my gas gauge several fill ups of Shell 93 and two or three bottles of Techron to clear the issue. But it did clear.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

Techron! I use Shell premium & add Techron ever so often (road trips at hiwy speeds). IMO getting down to 1/4 tank may be asking for trouble, remember the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:52 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

I got tired of the hassle and the expense of adding Techron and just tried each brand of gasoline one at a time until I found one that didn't cause my gauge to go to empty. I took me nearly 2 years to find a gas that didn't cause the issue and now it's been 3 years and 14k miles and not one gas gauge issue and I only use Shell. BP, Phillips, QuickTrip and other local fuels all caused my gas gauge to go to empty.

I have had well over 40 cases of my gauge going to empty. Anyone saying they are "on borrowed time", just needs to find the right fuel in their part of the country and stick with it. Nothing is going to break inside your fuel tank, just use the right fuel and it will clean itself up and stay that way..
Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 AM
blackdragster
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

KC thanks. I bought my Vette in May and mostly used Phillips because it is real gas. Gas gauge quit twice, both times in Arkansas. I was wondering what brand if any would solve this problem. Luckily we have 2 Shell stations here.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM
futuretech
Drifting

Originally Posted by alankb
I've added probably a gallon of the stuff. My gauge still goes to zero from time to time. Now I just enter diagnostic mode and reset it and it works fine again. I think I will try the seafoam, but in the end it is a "chemical cure for a mechanical problem." Now, I will surely get an argument about that because the problem is a buildup of sulpher on the sender, which is, of course a chemical of sorts..
I agree that it is a mechanical problem.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Originally Posted by 99 VET
Techron! I use Shell premium & add Techron ever so often (road trips at hiwy speeds). IMO getting down to 1/4 tank may be asking for trouble, remember the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. Good luck!
Luckily I've never had an issue with the fuel pump but initially I did have the issue with the fuel guage indicating empty with a full tank. I changed to Chevron and after 130,000 I don't have the issue any longer...and I typically run the tanks down until I get the 'reserve fuel' message.

rr

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Gauge Not Working...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Gauge Not Working...