Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about dead battery and computer reset

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM
mddrip
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default question about dead battery and computer reset

With the car off how low would the DIC battery reading have to be in order to reset my computer? Its at 11.9 now after driving it. I just failed my emissions test because of readiness. The guy said the battery must have been too low and reset my computer.

Last edited by mddrip; 10-24-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 AM
DavzC5
Drifting

Location: Houston, TX www.djmotorsportaccessories.com Specializing in C5 & C6 Accessories. DJ Motorsport Accessories.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You will need to drive the car about 100 or so miles before it will adjust and make available information. Happened to one of my C5's with new battery replacement day before inspection; third time back with 200 miles on it within 14 days and it all came up correct.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:36 PM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

11.9v is still too low for all the systems to properly function. I'd address that battery first before trying to get it inspected again. No sense in wasting a trip if you'll fail again.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Originally Posted by AntonioZ06
11.9v is still too low for all the systems to properly function. I'd address that battery first before trying to get it inspected again. No sense in wasting a trip if you'll fail again.
don't waste your time - get the voltage problem fix.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Last 62
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the readiness monitors (memory circuits) get cleared either but a dead battery, disconnected battery, or cleared by a scan tool, the vehicle has to complete a drive cycle before the vehicle can pass an OBDII test. The drive cycle consist of a series of events that must occur in a spefic order before all are reset. Typically it takes 3-4 days and 50-60 miles of normal driving to complete the cycle. The computer wants to see cold starts, certain speeds maintained, etc. Your local dealer or perhaps your emission test station can print the drive cycle for you. Some repair shops can as well if they have access to some of the diagnostic web sites that charge a fee for their info.

There is no way you can tell if the monitors have reset unless your car has a problem that would turn on the MIL (malfunction indication lamp). The light won't come on until the drive cycle is completed.

Jim
Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 PM
mddrip
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. Just checked the DIC again after letting it sit for over 24hrs and it is now at 11.7 volts. I guess I'll just drop a new battery in, drive it for a week and then get retested.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just for reference, I wouldn't use the dash's voltage gauge to determine voltage issues. Voltmeters can be obtained fairly cheap at radioshack and will eventually come in handy when owning a corvette lol.

A 2nd reference for you....12.5v is the minimum required for proper function of all the car's systems....most importantly the column lock bypass.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would bet the battery is your problem. A new battery and 50 miles of city driving with some engine-off stops and you should pass.

Okie

Get notified of new replies

To question about dead battery and computer reset

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question about dead battery and computer reset