Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 92 owners with LS2 Throttle Body... Install Question ?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Fast 92 owners with LS2 Throttle Body... Install Question ?

Guys

Just doing more research on my future install.

There is a rubber hose that plugs into my LS6 throttle body. The LS2 TB does not have a place to put this hose.

Where did you put your hose ? Did you put it into the air coupler before the TB ? I'm not even sure what its for...

Thanks !
Toque

Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

do some research on PVC systems
Old 11-08-2011, 08:55 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

It is the source of fresh air for the crankcase. The LS2 engines have a hose (pre-molded nylon) coming from the coupler. It has a squeeze type quick-disconnect on one end (coupler end) and the other end goes to the valve cover nipple like yours has now. Don't eliminate it.

You can buy the small fitting that goes into the coupler that the hose connects to.
HTH
Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
It is the source of fresh air for the crankcase. The LS2 engines have a hose (pre-molded nylon) coming from the coupler. It has a squeeze type quick-disconnect on one end (coupler end) and the other end goes to the valve cover nipple like yours has now. Don't eliminate it.

You can buy the small fitting that goes into the coupler that the hose connects to.
HTH
Is this what most people are doing ?
Just found this here
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...on-photos.html

Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

HTH
Where can I buy the small fitting that goes into the coupler ?
The hose seems to be coming from the valve cover, and not the crank case valley cover.

Toque
Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my fitting from callaway ....that is a pricey piece of aluminum...I just drilled the coupler and pushed it through and attached the hose.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Is this the fitting you got from Callaway ?
Callaway part number: 503.62.0000

Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep when i bought mine around 6 mo ago from callaway the p/n 503.62.0000 the price was $27.95 plus shipping
Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 AM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
The hose seems to be coming from the valve cover, and not the crank case valley cover.

Toque
Would your chevy dealer have it. Have the parts department look up the parts for a C6 and pull the diagram up for the components.

Also would a plastic barbed fitting work for this

Last edited by MG RED 99; 11-09-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:22 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Toque
The small plastic fitting is a GM item and is available through Fichtner Chev or Gene Culley at GMPartshouse, etc. You just need to cut a small round hole in the coupler for it. The small Callaway metal version is the same thing except doubtless far more expensive.

The premolded nylon hose (also a GM item) has a 90* snap-on fitting the connects to it and the other end connects to the valve cover fitting as in the picture. Think LS2 OEM setup.

BTW, the hose(s) from the valley cover are part of a completely different (pcv) circuit and are not tied into the fresh air hose we are discussing here.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Is this what most people are doing ?
Just found this here
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...on-photos.html

This photo is excellent at showing the routing of the hose we are talking about, except here, the hose is standard fuel/pcv rubber hose.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Thanks guys !

The small plastic fitting is a GM item and is available through Fichtner Chev or Gene Culley at GMPartshouse, etc. You just need to cut a small round hole in the coupler for it. The small Callaway metal version is the same thing except doubtless far more expensive.

The premolded nylon hose (also a GM item) has a 90* snap-on fitting the connects to it and the other end connects to the valve cover fitting as in the picture. Think LS2 OEM setup.

BTW, the hose(s) from the valley cover are part of a completely different (pcv) circuit and are not tied into the fresh air hose we are discussing here.
C6's have this air line going into there coupler ? I never knew that. I'll have to look at one of my friends car's. This is stock C6 equipment ?

So the fitting that goes into the coupler is a separate from the nylon hose you speak of ? Any ideas on PNs of both parts needed ? (hose and fitting in coupler)

Thanks !
Toque
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Thanks guys !

C6's have this air line going into there coupler ? I never knew that. I'll have to look at one of my friends car's. This is stock C6 equipment ?

So the fitting that goes into the coupler is a separate from the nylon hose you speak of ? Any ideas on PNs of both parts needed ? (hose and fitting in coupler)

Thanks !
Toque
Yes. Depending on year/engine, etc, the factory air couplers have a round molded area where the hole is and that's where the plastic nipple fitting fits into. It is a separate piece and closely resembles the Callaway metal piece.

The LS7 engines have the same fresh air setup, but their particular molded nylon hose leads all the way back over to the oil tank in the "corner" where your battery is.

I don't have the GM numbers, but as I said they are available. Again, look at the LS2 OEM set-up.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

I just found this picture.

Looks like the C6's DOES connect into the rubber flex coupler before the Throttle body....

So this is stock C6 stuff huh ?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

well I now know why I have excessive vaccum in my crankcase. I was an idiot and caped that line. Good thing I dont drive it alot.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

the hoses/tubes on the valve covers are fresh air intake lines that should bring in filtered air from anywhere after the air filter. You can even cap all those fittings on the valve covers and use a filtered oil cap. This is the first part of the PVC system, filtered air in.

The second part is the vaccum side. What I have found to work best is to use the later model LS6 valley cover with the built in PVC valve. This with a catch can inline too. The vaccum line hooks into the intake right behind the TB into the catch can then from the catch can to the valley cover vent tube. If you do not use the latest model valley cover with the built in pvc valve then you must have one inline between the intake and the valley cover.

The system works as a whole, fresh clean air into the top of the valve covers and out throught the valley cover into the intake.

hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Fast 92 owners with LS2 Throttle Body... Install Question ?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
the hoses/tubes on the valve covers are fresh air intake lines that should bring in filtered air from anywhere after the air filter. You can even cap all those fittings on the valve covers and use a filtered oil cap. This is the first part of the PVC system, filtered air in.

The second part is the vaccum side. What I have found to work best is to use the later model LS6 valley cover with the built in PVC valve. This with a catch can inline too. The vaccum line hooks into the intake right behind the TB into the catch can then from the catch can to the valley cover vent tube. If you do not use the latest model valley cover with the built in pvc valve then you must have one inline between the intake and the valley cover.

The system works as a whole, fresh clean air into the top of the valve covers and out throught the valley cover into the intake.

hope this helps.
It does help...

I have a 2004 Z06 so I think I have the newer valley cover. I have a catch can installed right now on my stock intake too.

I need a diagram to understand where everything connects though. Picture is worth a 1000 words sometimes.

This is why I'm going to write a procedure on this for my web site to help others....

Thanks !
Toque
Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ent-issue.html Go to post 6 for my set up.

Russ Kemp
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Russ K
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ent-issue.html Go to post 6 for my set up.

Russ Kemp
That looks pretty good !

Thanks !
Toque

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fast 92 owners with LS2 Throttle Body... Install Question ?