Sponsored by:

1998 dead battery/security system problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 AM
rhemrah
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 dead battery/security system problems

Guys- i am looking at a 1998 C5 corvette and went to test drive the car and when I got there the salesman had the car running (which was a concern) I got in the car and put the car in drive and it went 10 feet and the engine shut off. The salesman is telling me that the battery had died and when the battery dies that the security system needs to relearn itself so therefore the chip in the ignition key was the problem and I did not have time to get any diagnostics test run. The salesman called and said that the car is running fine now with another key. My question is that when the battery dies does the computers security system prevent you from using the key to drive the car and if so how do you reset the security so you can drive the car if you are out and your battery dies.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

You really should have posted this in your other thread!

I still lean towards a column lock issue which a bad battery could cause.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 87SAM
You really should have posted this in your other thread!

I still lean towards a column lock issue which a bad battery could cause.
He said he put the car in drive, I didn't think the automatics had the column lock issue?

If it is working now I would get in writing something about the car shutting off within 10 feet. That is a sign of issues.

I have had a dead battery before and have remove the battery and never had that issue.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:34 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
He said he put the car in drive, I didn't think the automatics had the column lock issue?

If it is working now I would get in writing something about the car shutting off within 10 feet. That is a sign of issues.

I have had a dead battery before and have remove the battery and never had that issue.
He says it's a 98 and 97 - 00 autos have the issue. Something in writting would be a good idea. The codes also need to be checked as mentioned in his other thread.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:04 PM
rhemrah
Cruising

Thanks- there is something else going on. I will get a diagnostics test done to see if i find anything.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default I could be either but it most likely is a CL malfunction

It could be a dirty ignition key that would prevent the car from starting. Find out if the recall was done to permanently disable the column lock feature. I believe dealerships installed a block-off plate in automatic-equipped C5s. If you don't hear a Pvvvvt when the key is turned to the on position and when the key is turned to the off position to shut down the car, chances are the car has the block-off plate or column lock bypass.

If neither were installed, failure of the column lock mechanism would result in the car dying after moving a very short distance.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 PM
rhemrah
Cruising

Thanks for your advice I will have that checked

Get notified of new replies

To 1998 dead battery/security system problems

Quick Reply: 1998 dead battery/security system problems