Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my first ticket in the Corvette this evening.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:05 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Default Got my first ticket in the Corvette this evening.

After having the car since spring 2003, got my first speeding ticket just a tad after 6PM, very dark outside.

I was driving to the town of Globe, Arizona, and got the ticket a few miles outside of Superior AZ, on the west side of it, heading east.

Well, highway 60 narrows down to 2 lanes (one going each direction) and once in a while there is a "passing zone" where one direction will have 2 lanes, "slow vehicles stay right"

As soon as I got done passing someone, going downhill, there was a Arizona Highway Patrol hiding at the end where it merges back to one lane, and I though "uh oh"

But then thought, "nah, it's a passing area, right?"

He pulled me over and had unfriendly speaking manner "What's the big hurry?"

I told him I was just passing, and trying to get it over with before the lanes merge back to one.

He told me I should have not passed and the guy I was passing would have got the ticket for going 62, said I was going 75, and it was 55 mile zone.

Then he asked if I have taken a defensive driving class in the past 2 years, and I said no, he walked back to his car with my driver's license, insurance, and registration.

The way he talked until this point, was hateful, or it seemed to me like he was trying to get me to get mad and pop off, I was cool of course.

When he gave me the ticket, his voice was nicer, and he explained the options, etc.

Just before this, I was going 45 behind this slow pickup, seems when the passing lane came, he tended to really speed up.

Oh well, it's my fault and to be honest I have not had a ticket since 1997, guess that's not too bad eh?

Last edited by 1999corvettels1; 12-28-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 AM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Should have told him "when I reached down to pick up my bag of crack, my gun fell off my lap and got lodged between the brake pedal and the gas pedal, forcing me to speed out of control."
Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

After that, driving through Superior and Globe, they have tons of those photo radar cameras throughout the town, and of course all of them are set up for cars driving down hill, I lost count, but there must have been a dozen!

When I drove back, I saw 3 others cars pulled over (not all at the same time) one was in Mesa, AZ.

It's close to the end of the month, quota time!

Is it me, or is sitting at the end of a passing zone at night without any lights on seem like a speed trap?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CatCam
Should have told him "when I reached down to pick up my bag of crack, my gun fell off my lap and got lodged between the brake pedal and the gas pedal, forcing me to speed out of control."
Ha!

I thought of saying the devil made me do it.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Take the defensive driving course, pay the fee, and keep the ticket off your record.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 AM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
After that, driving through Superior and Globe, they have tons of those photo radar cameras throughout the town, and of course all of them are set up for cars driving down hill, I lost count, but there must have been a dozen!

When I drove back, I saw 3 others cars pulled over (not all at the same time) one was in Mesa, AZ.

It's close to the end of the month, quota time!

Is it me, or is sitting at the end of a passing zone at night without any lights on seem like a speed trap?
All set up to make things safer.....NOT to generate revenue....
Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I was just reading all the paperwork, the class is $169.00, the ticket would be $194.00, and if you pay the ticket you get points reported on your record.

There is a 3rd option, you can request a hearing to contest the charges, but it says if you do, it results in the loss of your privilege to attend a defensive driving class for violation dismissal.

I'll take the defensive driving class, was 19 last time I took one!

You know, it's kinda unfair if one wants to contest the charges, what if the officer made a mistake, and the judge still took the officer's side and the defendant loses, then they have points on their record.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

So I have to wonder....

Let's say the guy you passed was going 52 mph....under the limit, so you decide to pass....which should be your option given the other car's speed.

But.....say you have to go 62mph to make a safe pass.

Could you get a ticket for surpassing the speed limit?

Because if you had to pass at exactly 55 mph....it would take a long time and potentially be VERY unsafe.

Just always wondered about crap like that.

As said.....take the class or whatever you have to so it's not on your record.

Last edited by Oh 2 Fun; 12-28-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Okay....so here's another thing I question.....

Let's say I'm going about 62 in a 55 that is open highway, good conditions.....safe.

And a LEO has to go just over 90 to catch and stop me for the sake of keeping the road "safe".

How the heck can that kind of speed be justified when I have perhaps just as much driving experience and training and the car and tires are good for speed?

No disrespect to our LEO's just wondering how that can be justified as reasonable and safe. Might be an individual thing....
Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 AM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun

Let's say I'm going about 62 in a 55 that is open highway, good conditions.....safe.

And a LEO has to go just over 90 to catch and stop me for the sake of keeping the road "safe".

How the heck can that kind of speed be justified when I have perhaps just as much driving experience and training and the car and tires are good for speed?

No disrespect to our LEO's just wondering how that can be justified as reasonable and safe. Might be an individual thing....
Each state has provisions in their vehicle code to allow peace officer's to speed during the performance of their duties.

If police only drove the speed limit, how would they ever catch or even see anyone going over the speed limit.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Condolences,,good luck in the class!! Not saying a word about me and how long,,not that I'm superstitious or anything like that!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 AM
1quick1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of the life man. We get away more times than not but when Joynny Law comes knocking be ready to pay the price.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:26 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Those darn, no good, donut muchin' bullies!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:41 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been stopped a few times since I retired from patrolling the highways of Kentucky and only been cited once. That was by a local Vehicle Enforcement officer who was hidden behind a row of thick bushes at the bottom of a steep hill. Most would call that a speed trap but it still doesn't mean we shouldn't be heeding the speed limit at all times. I waited till after he had written the citation and then told him I was a retired cop. He practically apologized for writting the citation but I reminded him we swore to enforce the law equally; that none of us are above the law. He didn't say anything but just walked back to his cruiser.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:24 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Check to see if Arizona has an Attorney driven "ticket clinic"...its one fee, usually $79.00 and they guarantee....no points, no driving school, and no fine. Check it out.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:42 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Speeding tickets happen. Just a cost of driving along with gas insurance and maintenance...
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 AM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In ny you not only get fined they have a 300.00 surcharge added to the package

Get notified of new replies

To Got my first ticket in the Corvette this evening.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 AM
avettelovertu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but even in a passing zone, the sign still said speed limit, and that means don't go over that speed, if you don't want to chance a ticket. Pure and simple. Justification is " I needed to speed up to get around the slower vehicle before it drops back into one lane ", just won't cut it.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by avettelovertu
Sorry, but even in a passing zone, the sign still said speed limit, and that means don't go over that speed, if you don't want to chance a ticket. Pure and simple. Justification is " I needed to speed up to get around the slower vehicle before it drops back into one lane ", just won't cut it.
Yea, common sense is no excuse for speeding up to overt something bad from happening. I haven't had a speeding ticket or any other violation since I was 19 (now 57) but I have been in the same perdicament many times and you got to love the guy that speeds up when you go to pass! IMOP they are the ones that should be nabbed.
Well, I for one will be getting a radar detector just to compensate for those nasty drivers that like to speed up while you are passing them. I am not a speed freak as you can tell by the no ticket claim but come on we all have been in this guys shoes and I for one think LEO would of done better getting the 62 driver and don't think for a moment that where he was parked he knew this is a prime zone for this type of offensive driving.
I guess they teach you that at the defensive driving class? Too bad they don't have a program for offensive drivers (offensive drivers class)
HERR HERR!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:45 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun

And just who do you suppose is going to issue them a ticket??

Didn't you see Smokey and the Bandit ? It's called "Hot Pursuit"

Quick Reply: Got my first ticket in the Corvette this evening.