2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
IMHO stay away from the Bilsteins - very, very stiff! many have installed them only to remove and sell them a short while afterward

The C6 Z06 shock newer and better and cost less and the ride will be vastly improved and the handling as well and not overly stiff!

Thanks,Matt
The Bilstein Sport shocks are designed for lowered suspensions so they ride rough if you C5 is not lowered. As a result, the Bilstein HD shocks have a more forgiving ride quality.

I also read the C6Z shocks are a good option as well.

I plan to swap my shocks later this spring when I install new CCW wheels and I'm leaning towards the Koni FSDs. Another brand you may want to consider.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM
miltievette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wondeing???? I have a 2000 Vert would the year matter, for a C6 Z06 shocks to fit my application. Just looked it up on Genes web page and almost ready to order it. BUT Im wondering about the year.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 PM
nodima
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miltievette
Just wondeing???? I have a 2000 Vert would the year matter, for a C6 Z06 shocks to fit my application. Just looked it up on Genes web page and almost ready to order it. BUT Im wondering about the year.
I sure hope not, since I also have a 2000, and have the shocks sitting in my garage waiting for some time!

All my research showed they are a direct fit on the 2000.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just swapped my old shock for C6 Z06 shocks. Zero problems, even in high speed (60+MPH) cornering.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM
miltievette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great Post, And Thanks for saving us alotta of CASH. I will place my order today. Ilove this Forum. Thanks Guys.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 PM
OneBadLT123
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RV13
Glad the plug method worked...I am still running without any issues and I am still happy with the performance of the C6Z06 shocks and C6Z51 sway bars. Now for my next purchase, MGW Short Shifter or a Vararam CAI.....decisions, decisions.
Yeah it works great! I was wondering though, I noticed the plug is a 2 piece plug, with a smaller plug going into the larger one. The smaller one was easy to pull out but then I had to use needle nose pliers to yank out the full plug. I was wondering if all we need is the smaller plug? I ended up using the whole thing but was wondering if we could have gone with less of the plug.

Hmm.. Oh well, it works!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you guys are looking at replacement shocks you should also take a look at our Johnny O'Connell shocks. In comparison to the C6Z shocks they will ride a little firmer over small bumps at low speeds because comparitavely we've bumped up the compression damping a bit for improved turn in response. On the flip side the car will actually ride softer over large road irregularities like highway expansion joints because we've dropped the high speed rebound damping. The drop in high speed rebound damping also has an added effect of keeping the rear end of the car stable over choppy road conditions.

Overall you will notice that the Johnny O'Connell shocks offer more stability and better road manners over rough roads than the C6Z shocks do. As long as you're looking at a replacement performance shock you might as well move to the shock which is going to work the best for your application!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default I went with C5 Z06 shocks and its stiff enough

Went with Z51 sway bars and C5 Z06 shocks. More responsive but STIFFER. The C6Z06 shocks and sway bars are stiffer than that.
Depends on how much you want to shock your kidneys.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
Wow! It's really that simple?
Usually something that cheap and easy gets you in trouble down the road.
But as usual it seems worth a try.
Great post.
4 choices..Make your own simulators with some resistors.Less then 10 bucks I think..Buy simulators...$$$$$...Delete with tech 2 which can be free depending on your dealer(lots of step by step to print takes 5 mins) or do what I did...Free..

Got the idea from this guy...It's his idea.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cks-on-c5.html

and you take a punch or screwdriver and hit the holes in a counter clockwise position and it starts to unscrew. It took me a few wacks for it to break free. Unscrew it and wiggle the sensor out.You may have to pop that piece to the right off with a flat head. I did...

Once your done just plug it back up and ziptie the wires out of the way. You can actually attach the sensor rubber piece on the side of the brake line where you popped the other part off its a perfect fit. I have no codes and I sat there for 30 minutes unhooking it and hooking it up to see if it would throw any codes. the only time it did was when I disconnected it from the harness. SO I am a happy camper..

Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

5 year old thread and the OP hasn't been here in over a year.

Please don't revive such old threads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6/C5 Z06 shocks on C5?