C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging system fault?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Michael Honea
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check the cables

Originally Posted by C5Wolfe
I've gotton this message on the "dic" display off and on for 3 years and have found out that my "99" has the 140 amp alternator made in Mexico instead of the 110 amp one made in France that most every early c-5 I've seen have. I'm so sick of this message popping up that I am thinking about buying a 110 amp alternator for the car!
Question, Will this fix the problem or not? Has any one had this problem and fixed it?
Thanks, Dave
We fixed it by chasing the wires to the starter where we found the header had melted the end of a connector.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:17 PM
akanitro
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through all of this and even bought a new alternator from the Chevy dealer and that one did not even show to be charging but when I took it to be bench tested, it charged fine. Then I went to O'reilly's and parts warrantied an alternator from them and it would charge just like the other but the charge system fault message would still come on randomly while driving. Traced all wires and even replaced the ground cable with an OEM new cable and still the same thing. Then took a long shot and bought an alternator from Autozone and dammit, the problem is solved. Part number on the alternator is 21702278 and been working perfect for about 1500 miles and about 4 months of driving. Finally working like it should. Now just to replace the flasher relay and repair the shorted wires for the oil temp sensor that the headers cooked and I will have everything perfect and ready to set up the rest of the car for TX2K19 in a couple months.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:03 PM
Bobby469
1st Gear

Default Charging fault system

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I have seen that message pop up on a few C5s in the past and it has always been at startup, In most cases it was because of a low battery after sitting over night, Is that when you see your message? I do know I have read that the 140 amp alt isn't compatable with all the C5 cars.
Mr.Bill
replace alternator new problem solve

Old 07-01-2023, 06:10 PM
Elan Tau
1st Gear

Originally Posted by seu318
I would def check that plug in the picture Norcalvette posted above. I had the same message start displaying immediately after changing my sparkplugs. Went back over the job again to see what I might have done, since I was not getting the message before the sparkplug job, and reasoned that I must've leaned on or hit that plug on the alternator. I unplugged it, flipped it over and saw it was corroded a bit. Cleaned it up, applied a dab of dielectric grease, seated it back in the plug socket, and never got the charge system fault message again. Check it.
I just replaced the alternator on my 2001 C5 new battery but was told that I should have rebuild my old alternator but was too late already had given as core new alternator is 140 amp but watching the gage when it puts 13.9amp no massage but when it's 14.1amp massage comes up on the screen I checked all the connections and all are good going to check all of the ground wires tomorrow I just drove the car 300 miles and just passed 91K

Quick Reply: Charging system fault?