Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
C5Wolfe
CF Senior Member

Default Charging system fault?

I've gotton this message on the "dic" display off and on for 3 years and have found out that my "99" has the 140 amp alternator made in Mexico instead of the 110 amp one made in France that most every early c-5 I've seen have. I'm so sick of this message popping up that I am thinking about buying a 110 amp alternator for the car!
Question, Will this fix the problem or not? Has any one had this problem and fixed it?
Thanks, Dave
C5Wolfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Mr.Bill
We Miss You Frank...
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Bill

I have seen that message pop up on a few C5s in the past and it has always been at startup, In most cases it was because of a low battery after sitting over night, Is that when you see your message? I do know I have read that the 140 amp alt isn't compatable with all the C5 cars.
Mr.Bill
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

I've had the Charge System Fault pop up on my 04 a few times and not certain what the cause is. Nothing i have been able to associate with it's coming up. Seems to be just another of those annoying messages. I swear the GM Elactrical engineers that worked on the C5 were imported from Lucas Electric....

I keep the car on a tender when not being driven so I don't think mine is from low battery.
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Bluefire
CF Senior Member

I have seen it on my 03 Coupe also. My theory: It only seems to happen when I am a little too quick releasing the key on a start. Almost like the "system" didn't get enough time to read some voltage. That's my SWAG. (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess).
Bluefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
grumblebear

Grumble Bear

I know this may be considered a sin, but I've gotten some odd electrical messages, and even weird background radio noise, with the radio off, when I was caught in a sudden rain storm...
grumblebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
NorCalVette Kid
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Send a message via AIM to NorCalVette Kid Send a message via Yahoo to NorCalVette Kid

I have had that problem. I removed the connector and plugged it back in, kinda giggled it a bit. Try checking your connectors and cable?? Could be a bad connection.
NorCalVette Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
65GGvert
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to 65GGvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalVette Kid View Post
I have had that problem. I removed the connector and plugged it back in, kinda giggled it a bit. Try checking your connectors and cable?? Could be a bad connection.
What connector?
65GGvert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
C5Wolfe
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
I have seen that message pop up on a few C5s in the past and it has always been at startup, In most cases it was because of a low battery after sitting over night, Is that when you see your message? I do know I have read that the 140 amp alt isn't compatable with all the C5 cars.
Mr.Bill
Mine does it at any time, not just start up! It will do it just driving down the road. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in one day and sometimes once a week or so. A mechanic at the local dealership said the charging system was fine but said it might be the alternator was putting out to much amps. I just wondered if any one has ever solved this problem?
Thanks Bill
C5Wolfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
NorCalVette Kid
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Send a message via AIM to NorCalVette Kid Send a message via Yahoo to NorCalVette Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GGvert View Post
What connector?
Click the image to open in full size.

Sometimes the connector (plug) gets corroded and dirty. Might just need cleaning.
NorCalVette Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
KenShores
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
I have seen it on my 03 Coupe also. My theory: It only seems to happen when I am a little too quick releasing the key on a start. Almost like the "system" didn't get enough time to read some voltage. That's my SWAG. (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess).
Me too! My 02 has done this maybe three times in three years. This explains the exact condition that it has happened to me. I don't fret over it, anymore.
KenShores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
03newjersey
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenShores View Post
Me too! My 02 has done this maybe three times in three years. This explains the exact condition that it has happened to me. I don't fret over it, anymore.

This happens once in a while if I don't turn the key all the way/properly. Usually it happens when I'm really tired after work. It always starts though, nothing to worry about.
03newjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
seu318
CF Member

I would def check that plug in the picture Norcalvette posted above. I had the same message start displaying immediately after changing my sparkplugs. Went back over the job again to see what I might have done, since I was not getting the message before the sparkplug job, and reasoned that I must've leaned on or hit that plug on the alternator. I unplugged it, flipped it over and saw it was corroded a bit. Cleaned it up, applied a dab of dielectric grease, seated it back in the plug socket, and never got the charge system fault message again. Check it.
seu318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Jeff W
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Send a message via MSN to Jeff W Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff W

From what I've read, yes the early year C5s need the correct amperage alternator. My 02 had this problem 2 weeks ago and my problem was burnt contacts in the ignition switch.
Jeff W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
01vetter
CF Senior Member

I had this on occasion. It turned out to be a loose battery terminal wire.
01vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Johnny_B_Good
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Donít recall seeing this message since the battery was replaced about 4 years ago. Not sure if thatís the cure all cases.
Johnny_B_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page Charging system fault?

Tags
2002, 2008, altenator, alternator, c5, change, charge, charging, cleaning, corvette, default, fault, shakes, system, z06