Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading to a C5 Soon. Some Questions. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 PM
1BlueLT1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading to a C5 Soon. Some Questions. (long)

Hey folks,

I've been debating selling my car for a while now and upgrading to something a bit newer. I will be using the car as a daily driver (about 90 miles a week) but I definitely want an M6.

I currently have a '94 A4 coupe which I love to death but nearly all of the parts to restore odd end stuff are out of production and cost a fortune. I have noticed that it is very difficult to find certain parts such as the PKE module just so I can have keyless entry

I've had my '94 for over a year now and I drive it back and forth to college and I must say that it has been a VERY fun and dependable car that I always feel comfortable taking long trips in.

What I'm wanting to buy is a 97-2000+ model and I really like the 99-00 FRC since it looks so good but I know that they are harder to come by.

I have done a ton of research on these cars and I know my stuff pretty well. Below I just have some personal questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

Here are my questions:

1) How much more can I expect to feel performance wise going from a stock lt1 A4 to a basically stock M6 ls1? (hopefully FRC). From the research I've done I am hopeful that it will be a train above 70mph. (I've noticed my lt1 is really jumpy off the line, but loses pace fast after 60 or so).

The reason I ask is because its impossible to find a video on youtube of a stock lt1 vette vs a stock ls1 vette.... I guess everyone besides me mods these cars.

2) My lt1 has 136k miles right now and runs like new. Can I expect to buy a 60k-80k mile ls1 and hope that it will be dependable? I know that the M6 cars are usually driven a bit harder, but let's assume the c5 I buy has been taken care of well (synthetic oil, etc.).

3) Assuming the owner took care of the c5 I buy, how long do the clutches last?

4) I've noticed that the stock tires on C5's are really skinny looking. I have 9.5's all the way around on my C4 and was wondering if 10.5's or 11's in the rear of a C5 would fit under the stock fenders?

5) Has anyone ever upgraded to a c5 from a c4 and regretted it? As far as I can tell its a better car all around but I am really hoping that its a big difference in performance to be honest. I love my lt1 but it really is weak past 80+ mph. My dad has an A6 ls3 and its ridiculous how that thing pulls to 120+ I've never rode in a c5 so I have no idea what acceleration feels like in comparison to other cars.

I guess that's about it. I'm probably going to sell my car in a couple of weeks and want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I do so. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BlueLT1
.Here are my questions:

1) How much more can I expect to feel performance wise going from a stock lt1 A4 to a basically stock M6 ls1? (hopefully FRC). From the research I've done I am hopeful that it will be a train above 70mph. (I've noticed my lt1 is really jumpy off the line, but loses pace fast after 60 or so). I went from a '95 LT1 car to a '99 LS1 and the difference was very noticable. The early C5s will have a 45 hp increase plus the car is lighter than the LT1 C4.

.2) My lt1 has 136k miles right now and runs like new. Can I expect to buy a 60k-80k mile ls1 and hope that it will be dependable? I know that the M6 cars are usually driven a bit harder, but let's assume the c5 I buy has been taken care of well (synthetic oil, etc.). The LS1 engine is really very reliable. A 60-80K mile car is really just getting broken in. There are a number of forum members here that now have 100K, 200K or even 300K miles on their cars.

.4) I've noticed that the stock tires on C5's are really skinny looking. I have 9.5's all the way around on my C4 and was wondering if 10.5's or 11's in the rear of a C5 would fit under the stock fenders? A 10.5" wheel will definitely fit on the car - it's the same size as the Z06 rear wheel.

5) Has anyone ever upgraded to a c5 from a c4 and regretted it? As far as I can tell its a better car all around but I am really hoping that its a big difference in performance to be honest. I love my lt1 but it really is weak past 80+ mph. My dad has an A6 ls3 and its ridiculous how that thing pulls to 120+ I've never rode in a c5 so I have no idea what acceleration feels like in comparison to other cars. I had four C4s prior to my first C5 and I liked every one of them, but about the only C4 I would even think about wanting again would be a '96 GS. The C5 is just a so much better car in just about every category that it would be hard for me to want to give up the C5.
The best thing you can do is just go out and test drive a few C5s and get a feel for how well you really like the car.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 PM
1BlueLT1
Advanced

Cool thanks for the reply.

I had to get some insight because I'll be selling the car before I go buy another one. So test driving for me will be after the fact unfortunately.

Hopefully it will be as good as I have read on many different sites. The overall reviews on c5's seem a lot better than c4's. I think c4's are just starting to become somewhat of a classic, and so it's not the best choice for a DD I think haha.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 PM
LS2NSUV
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see no reason not to test drive before you sell. There's always a SLIGHT chance the C5 is not for you. Go for it.

I can see where you might not want to waste the time of a private seller, but you should take full advantage of the dealerships and drive as many of all three C5 models you can to get a feel for what floats your boat. Hell, most of the time the salesmen are just standing around BSing anyway. Make 'em work for ya. That's what they're there for.

If you prefer, be up front with them and let them know you are contemplating an upgrade. You never know, if you find something you like it MIGHT even be possible that they make a decent offer for your C4, but I wouldn't count on it.

Good luck, mik
Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

I still miss my 1994 C4 ZR1 that I sold in 2001. But, I mostly miss that amazingly beautiful engine.

However, I have to be honest and say that the C5 torque, chassis stiffness, 50/50 weight distribution and handling, lack of squeaks, ease of entry etc etc just makes it a far superior car overall.

Yeah, I still wish my '94 Z was sitting in my garage, but only if it was alongside my C5.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

GM put a lot of upgrades in yhe 2001 corvettes.Just something to think about.
Good Luck
FRED
Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 AM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Having a 1990 ZR-1 and a 1999 C5 and before the ZR-1 I had a 1987 L98 C4. I can tell you its a world of change driving a C4 compared to a C5. Just took he ZR-1 out last week for a drive, even though the car is fun to drive and wind it out, it felt good to be in the DD C5. More comfortable car, tighter chassis, quieter interior.

I can't say anything to the comparison between the LT1 and the LS1 because I never had one, but you did say its good out of the hole and then flattens out.. Sounds exactly like the L98 I had. Above 4500 RPM it would fall flat on its face. What I remember is that the LT1 is a little better in the higher RPMs than the L98. So to answer your question.. The LS1 definitely is better in the upper RPMs. My stock LS1 with Catback exhaust and tune put down 324 RWHP at around 5500 RPMs. Redline is at 6k RPMs. But in the end the C5 is a big upgrade from the C4.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
rnelson11
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a '96 to a '04 and all I can say is WOW! I'm 6' 4" and just the additional room would have sold me. And even though it has a standard hood it's still so much easier to work on.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I've had 2 C4's and know the L98's and LT1's were OK, but once I drove my new stock 98 LS1 the first time it was night and day difference.

You'll be pleased with the move up a generation.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:34 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

two totally different vettes. as much as i enjoyed the C4's that i had...once I got a C5....totally different ballgame. Many improvements in the suspension, frame and overall ride of the C5. They say you "put on a C4" and you get in a C5...that is correct. It is not as much a cockpit feel as the C4....but more of an open feel. The engine pulls very well and is very dependable ....I would have no worries about buying a C5 w some mileage on it as long as I researched that vette well and knew its history. The clutch is pretty reliable. That being said...it all goes back to researching that individual vette...if vette A is owned by a 22 year old..whom "every now-and-then" goes to the track....or vette B that is owned by a 50 year old guy and has more mileage and is his weekend "car show vette".....chances are...I am goin w the "car show vette". Just take your time and do alot of research. The prospect of getting an FRC or Z is exciting. There are some unique colors on FRCs...nassau blue or arctic white..and of course the SW Z...so be informed about those.

Happy vette shopping! You will enjoy a C5!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

FWIW, if you have a concern about out of production parts, limit your C-5 to a 2001 and up. the early C-5s does have some electronic compionents out of production, or have an excessive price as compared to later model C-5s. The EBCM (electronic brake control module) is out of production and so far is unrepairable. The key fobs and tire pressure monitors cost twice as much for early C-5 as they do for 2001 and up.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 AM
BlueTeamZ06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The C5 does everything better and nothing worse. Gets better mileage too.

I think if you are OK with the limitations of all Vettes, (i.e. 2 seats, people thinking you paid alot more than you did, Ricers wanting to race all the time) then you'll be even happier with a C5.

Look around on the forum here for a car that other members can vouch for.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 AM
04blackice
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS2NSUV
I see no reason not to test drive before you sell. There's always a SLIGHT chance the C5 is not for you. Go for it.

I can see where you might not want to waste the time of a private seller, but you should take full advantage of the dealerships and drive as many of all three C5 models you can to get a feel for what floats your boat. Hell, most of the time the salesmen are just standing around BSing anyway. Make 'em work for ya. That's what they're there for.

If you prefer, be up front with them and let them know you are contemplating an upgrade. You never know, if you find something you like it MIGHT even be possible that they make a decent offer for your C4, but I wouldn't count on it.

Good luck, mik
noooooo. Test drive cool..dont let them rip you off and give you 3-5 less for you car.get your full value and sell it on forum or craigslist, autotrader ect... good luck
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My 1998 C5 Coupe has 140,000+ miles and the clutch is still good. You might have to replace clutch after 100,000 miles. It is not cheap, as the whole rear drive train must be lowered.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 AM
04blackice
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oldvetter

My 1998 C5 Coupe has 140,000+ miles and the clutch is still good. You might have to replace clutch after 100,000 miles. It is not cheap, as the whole rear drive train must be lowered.
Ive been quoted 1200-1500 depends on upgrades i believe 900.00 is labor. Not that bad concidering new car or truck rebuilds can be 3-4 thousand....
Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Make sure when you get your C5 you change the headlight gears to brass gears, check for electrical problems and make sure your oil pressure sensor is good along with the tensioner. I have had mine for a little more than 4 years and it has been a great car. The problems have been electrical, light gears, oil pressure sensor and it throws codes regarding the ride control. The C5 ride quality is superior to the C4, plus the exterior style seems timeless, a lot of people think mine is newer so that's always nice to hear.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Most of your questions have been answered except this one. Has anyone regretted selling their C4 and going to a C5.

I miss my C4 and I appreciate what the C4 did for Corvettes in general but I wouldn't get rid of my FRC for a C4. I would however like to have a another C4 but doubt I will ever have another. If I ever have 2 vettes it will be my FRC and a C6. But there have been several folks who have in fact went back to a C4. There are some threads in C4 general that discuss it.

My personal opinion is also I wouldn't use a FRC for a DD. I base this on the availability of the FRC and I just wouldn't waste those kind of miles on such a low production car. But that's me. I do however drive mine about 8 to 10K a year as I use it for trips, and I do take it to work on occasion.

And you typically won't get the answer you're looking for by asking people who have a C5 if they regret selling their C4.

And I wouldn't say the C5 is "superior" to a C4 either. They are a different car and the C4 has some features that I do truly miss that the C5 doesn't have. They went real cheap with some things on the C5 that the C4 had. Cheaper leather, no cabin accent lighting, cheaper interior all around. E brakes that don't self adjust, leaky front turn signal lights, some have bubbling paint, C5 emblems that fly apart, cabin ***** that fall off. The EBCM issue that was mentioned. Bad ignition switches, harmonic balancers, some have oil leaks in differnet places.

I'm by no means talking down my car, but I also like to be honest when answering this question for future owners. Like I said I won't go back either, but the C5 does have it's issues just like any car and they aren't bullet proof.

But the LS1 is superior to the L98 I had. Your LT1 does better at higher RPM's than the L98 but it has 45-50 less HP than a LS1 has so it will drop off noticeably from your dads, LS3.

But don't try to compare the LT1 to the LS1 by measuring it against your dad'd LS3 either.

I'm also going to assume you are basing your performance at the track and not on the street because if you don't track it, I don't see the issue with leveling off above 80 MPH.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 02-26-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrading to a C5 Soon. Some Questions. (long)

Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
FWIW, if you have a concern about out of production parts, limit your C-5 to a 2001 and up. the early C-5s does have some electronic compionents out of production, or have an excessive price as compared to later model C-5s. The EBCM (electronic brake control module) is out of production and so far is unrepairable. The key fobs and tire pressure monitors cost twice as much for early C-5 as they do for 2001 and up.
Good point, although there are companies that will rebuild the EBCM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by markKlein
Good point, although there are companies that will rebuild the EBCM.
For 01 and up
Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Consider the Z06

If you like the FRC style consider the advantages of a Z06. Suspension, power, bragging rights for having the performance model C5. They cost no more than a nice convertible or coupe in similar condition, in many cases. They offer a lot. I certainly like my Z06. I sold my 1991 coupe to help pay for it. However, I missed the way a C4 felt while driving so now I also have a 1992 coupe, which gives me the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to a C5 Soon. Some Questions. (long)