Sponsored by:

What make those Supra's so fast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:05 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Forgive me if I don't understand, but you're on a corvette website. No corvette ever mad has ever been, or ever will be, a luxury platform. It's as far from a luxury platform as can be in fact. The supra is a sports car platform, just like the corvette. The SC is a big heavy lumbering slow car that handles poorly and doesn't make any notable power. and it's as exciting as a smart car. I love them, but that's the truth of it. Anyone who thinks the supra sucks clearly had a supra owner bully him in school or something. You're acting like honda guys who talk down on corvettes.
The supra is a sports car platform? Hahah could of fooled me! With its 225 HP base engine, it would be hard pressed to beat a Honda accord.

You say the Sc is a fat lumbering slow car yet it shares the exact same chassis and drivetrain as the poopra you so dearly covet lol, that's hilarious.

Never said the corvette was a luxury platform.

I know what the corvette is and isn't, its a very sleek sexy sports car, lightweight, with good power and performance. No its not Luxury, that's what my Lexus is for.

The supra has .... well..... an engine that can handle a lot of power after you put thousands of dollars into upgrading the turbo system...... and that ... is about it...

No looks, no interior, no style, no luxury....cant even pick up a chick in it
Old 03-26-2015, 12:56 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Lol you're on drugs.

I guess some people like big girls too though. This thread makes me want to slap a bunch of middle aged country club members.

I love my vette; but I'll own another Supra. Then again, there are car enthusiasts; then there are Corvette owners. You aren't helping any sterotypes.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:59 AM
Ramsiec5
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Money.

Money makes anything fast.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:33 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramsiec5
Money.

Money makes anything fast.
Exactly

Supras perform like 4th-gen F-bodies until you modify them
Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Back in 1997, I was looking for a performance car to replace a modified 5.0 Mustang. My shortlist (mostly based on published road tests) was C5, Supra Turbo or Mitsu 3000VR4. I liked the idea of the VR4 as it had AWD and where I live we have winters. I ended up with the C5, but the choice was not nearly as clear cut as you might think. The VR4 got less attractive when one of the car mags reported their test car needed a new clutch/flywheel assembly after acceleration testing, and I was not impressed by feedback from new Supra owners reporting the ride as "bone jarring". While I wanted a performance car, it was always going to be my daily driver, and a harsh ride every day was not what I wanted. So, the C5 it was. And yes, I ordered it with F45 and have never regretted the choice.

17 years later, it is still my daily driver, but I don't have to use it as a commuter car any more - an early out solved that problem.

Got to go - need a run to Lowes to pick up some studs - they slide nicely down into the passenger footwell. People do look at you a little oddly though, when they see a C5 coupe swallowing lumber.

Last edited by jackthelad; 03-26-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:55 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
Lol you're on drugs.

I guess some people like big girls too though. This thread makes me want to slap a bunch of middle aged country club members.

I love my vette; but I'll own another Supra. Then again, there are car enthusiasts; then there are Corvette owners. You aren't helping any sterotypes.
Exactly. You put 2k into a supra and gain 100+ horsepower. 2k into a c5 gains you 35 horsepower. The supra is a platform that handles well, and is a tuners dream. I don't honestly love it, but it's a brilliant car
Old 03-26-2015, 01:10 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,233 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
The supra is a sports car platform? Hahah could of fooled me!
Of course, it is. What other platform would it be? It is a real sports GT through and through. The 22-year old Supra was the only non-modern-exotic car to even make a dent in the competition at last week's TX2K event. Geo's silver Supra beat 2 different Underground Racing Twin Turbo Gallardo's making more power than him. The Supra has an amazing drag coefficient and small frontal area, which makes it a great candidate for speed events. No crazy aero mods are required. No other 90's sports cars ever seem to do well at any of these competitions. Only the RX7 and Miata ever seem to do well at low-speed autocross events. LOL

The supra has .... well..... an engine that can handle a lot of power after you put thousands of dollars into upgrading the turbo system...... and that ... is about it...
No. Plenty of 10-second ETs have been made using the stock turbos and fuel system. Supras have a lot more to offer than just an incredible engine. They also have a perfectly-geared and extremely strong Getrag transmission, a rear diff that can handle amazing amounts of abuse, and a braking system that held a stopping record that wasn't beaten until the 996 Porsche 911 Turbo arrived. You also get the build quality and dependability of any other Toyota/Lexus product made in the mid-90's, which was stellar.

No looks, no interior, no style, no luxury....cant even pick up a chick in it
Purely personal opinion. I find the Supra's Coke-bottle flared body to be sexy as hell, and love the big curvy booty. The interior is very comfortable, even for my 6'1" 250# frame. I will definitely own another one! As far as "picking up chicks" because of your car goes, what high school are you creeping out at?
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM
itsmeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geezus, now I remember why I couldn't stand going to vette meets. A lot of redneck, "merca" ignorance . The blind bs lack of any automotive knowledge past an exhaust system and some corvette placards by the biggest trash talkers was a trend. Too bad, i really loved my z's, but meets were painful. Felt like I was at a kkk rally with a bunch of Japanese war vets. Was hilarious how the guys with vettes that actually did their own work and modifications would just laugh at the yokels.

A clear vid with a 20 something year old car that has less than 15k in mods spanking an e85 2015 z06 and people act like the vid is staged. T2k14/15 and texas mile, the Supras held their own against the gtrs, lambos, and vipers. There was one quick vete that caught on fire. Didnt see any other vettes at the top...

You call yourself "car guys" but cant give credit where its due because the car isnt American? Ive owned gnx's at well, they are good for 500ish hp then need major work. You guys are hilarious with your internet knowledge.

Gtr, lambo, ferrari, viper, ford gt, porsche guys respect the supra for what it is and the c5 and c6 guys cant swallow it. Hilarious. Its like because this is a vette website, basic automotive knowledge becomes kryptonite and blind ignorance is the norm- because, iuh.... Its a corvette website.

Last edited by itsmeek; 03-26-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
White folks driving Corvettes are FAT 245+lb; asian guys are around 145lb.
lolol
Old 03-27-2015, 10:47 AM
itsmeek
Pro

The 2J is a good , proven engine, the thing is it can be found (N/A) in a few other, much better vehicles.

The Lexus SC300 and the Lexus IS300.

It can also be found in the TT version in a few other Toyotas from Japan.

If it wasn't for the fast and the furious the supra would of never gained the hype that it did.

To me it looks no better then a Hyundai Tiburon or a Celica.

Mediocre at best.
This is like saying the lt or ls is found in vans, trucks, sedans. In this thread, you are by far, the least knowledgeable and seem to be a total corvette nutswinger.

big difference between a gte and a ge. And a car isnt just the "engine".
Old 03-27-2015, 11:01 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

supras are amazing and so is Jessica! The SC is an amazing ride as well. The first and third of the 3 white SC's posted was my car. It is a Turbo car and pretty quick...not bad on looks either!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Brad055
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Back in 1997, I was looking for a performance car to replace a modified 5.0 Mustang. My shortlist (mostly based on published road tests) was C5, Supra Turbo or Mitsu 3000VR4. I liked the idea of the VR4 as it had AWD and where I live we have winters.
I was in the same situation back in high school, i couldn't afford a C5 or a Supra so i ended up with a '91 VR4 (everybody had a Z28 or Mustang GT so i had to be different).

I shredded the transmission a week later but ended up getting it back on the road. I've left it relatively 'stock' but added full bolt on's and a boost controller. It's a fun car to drive around for sure and always turns heads. Currently has 180k on it and i just got back from a 700 mile round trip last weekend! People never believe me when i tell them how old the car is, very advanced for it's time of production.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:05 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by itsmeek
Geezus, now I remember why I couldn't stand going to vette meets. A lot of redneck, "merca" ignorance . The blind bs lack of any automotive knowledge past an exhaust system and some corvette placards by the biggest trash talkers was a trend. Too bad, i really loved my z's, but meets were painful. Felt like I was at a kkk rally with a bunch of Japanese war vets. Was hilarious how the guys with vettes that actually did their own work and modifications would just laugh at the yokels.

A clear vid with a 20 something year old car that has less than 15k in mods spanking an e85 2015 z06 and people act like the vid is staged. T2k14/15 and texas mile, the Supras held their own against the gtrs, lambos, and vipers. There was one quick vete that caught on fire. Didnt see any other vettes at the top...

You call yourself "car guys" but cant give credit where its due because the car isnt American? Ive owned gnx's at well, they are good for 500ish hp then need major work. You guys are hilarious with your internet knowledge.

Gtr, lambo, ferrari, viper, ford gt, porsche guys respect the supra for what it is and the c5 and c6 guys cant swallow it. Hilarious. Its like because this is a vette website, basic automotive knowledge becomes kryptonite and blind ignorance is the norm- because, iuh.... Its a corvette website.
Originally Posted by itsmeek
This is like saying the lt or ls is found in vans, trucks, sedans. In this thread, you are by far, the least knowledgeable and seem to be a total corvette nutswinger.

big difference between a gte and a ge. And a car isnt just the "engine".
Its pretty funny how far off you guys are on your ability to judge.

First of all im not even a real corvette guy, im a Lexus guy, I have a passion for Lexus and a lot of things "Japanese". Ive been driving Lexus for 7-8 years now and hope im lucky enough to continue to do so for a long time to come.

I just bought my first (American car) 2000 FRC vette , 2 months ago. And yes I do love it so far, but this argument was never even about Corvettes , so im not sure why uve turned it into one.

I remember years ago I used to hear so much about the supras, and how great they were, and then I seen one.. and I was like that's it?

I guess what happened is the hype was so overplayed that when I looked into them I was really let down, and I still feel the same way.

Look, Its a good car, its a solid , dead nuts reliable platform, but at the end of the day its still a ricer tuner car, mainly for teens and young adults in their early 20's.

To see a 30 or 40 year old in a Supra would be a real facepalm moment.

To say you seen a supra with $15k worth of mods beat a new Z06 does not impress me in the least , there are Honda civics that are out there that can smoke Ferraris and vettes, its really a poor choice of argument.

Last edited by 1Willy1; 03-27-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:17 PM
DBOTHEBOSS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow ton of back and forth about this much money that much money blah blah. Argument isn't even relative to Supra anymore...could be talking VW Golf.

At any rate. Supras are fast out of the box (owned a 94 TT). Really fast on the highway. Why are some of them supra dupra fast? Because this picture. End of story.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2015, 03:43 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

at the end of the day its still a ricer tuner car, mainly for teens and young adults in their early 20's.

To see a 30 or 40 year old in a Supra would be a real facepalm moment.
This could be the most ridiculous single post in the entire thread. I have been heavily involved in the Supra community since I bought mine back in 2001...when I was 30. The large majority of clean, fast, regularly-raced Supras are owned and driven by those well into their 30s and 40s. Hell, "SW" was almost 50 and was still whipping everyone's *** at the Texas Mile in his Supra. In his incredible collection of clean and modified Ferraris, UGR Lambos, his turbocharged Ford GT, and his pro-touring cars, he still kept the Supra---the quickest and fastest car in his stable. He sold his Vettes long ago, though. Even when he passed the age of 50. Go figure, right?

Your statement makes about as much sense as saying "At the end of the day, a Corvette is still an old man redneck car. Mainly for fat, bald men and senior citizens in their 60s and 70s. To see a 20 or 30 year old in a Vette would be a real facepalm moment."

Last edited by FYRARMS; 03-27-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:19 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Your statement makes about as much sense as saying "At the end of the day, a Corvette is still an old man redneck car. Mainly for fat, bald men and senior citizens in their 60s and 70s. To see a 20 or 30 year old in a Vette would be a real facepalm moment."

It is a real face palm moment. Anytime someone sees me in my car and says "does your daddy know youre out in his car?" I want to introduce my palm to their face. Well actually not quite my palm, but close enough.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:15 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
It is a real face palm moment. Anytime someone sees me in my car and says "does your daddy know youre out in his car?" I want to introduce my palm to their face. Well actually not quite my palm, but close enough.

Get notified of new replies

To What make those Supra's so fast?

Old 03-27-2015, 07:17 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
This could be the most ridiculous single post in the entire thread. I have been heavily involved in the Supra community since I bought mine back in 2001...when I was 30. The large majority of clean, fast, regularly-raced Supras are owned and driven by those well into their 30s and 40s. Hell, "SW" was almost 50 and was still whipping everyone's *** at the Texas Mile in his Supra. In his incredible collection of clean and modified Ferraris, UGR Lambos, his turbocharged Ford GT, and his pro-touring cars, he still kept the Supra---the quickest and fastest car in his stable. He sold his Vettes long ago, though. Even when he passed the age of 50. Go figure, right?

lol this thread is starting to get good.

Its really funny how you guys don't really debate or object to my facts about the supra, you sorta keep coming back and attacking the corvette for some reason lol

You can attack the vette all you want , doesn't bother me a bit
Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

DAMN it...all the HYPE over horse power... It's torque that gets the job done!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:37 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Dude has a busted $4k on a good day sc300 with shoddy pulled fenders covered in primer and goofy stanced 20s and he's ragging on arguably the most successful sports car Toyota has produced while downplaying the corvette all the same.

The corvette is not the greatest car and I loathe the demographic it carries today, nor is the supra. But the sc300? The only thing it's has in slight common is block designation to the supra. Sure you can swap and build and if it's what you like; fine. But don't come off like it's some unsaid 1000whp Supercar. They aren't worth dick for a reason along with other 'n/a 2jz' cars like the is300. It's not the same class, it's not the same drivetrain, and it's not the same argument.

You like em, great. I think it'd be fun to build one, but let's not get on this high and mighty 'I drive Lexus' weird status trip. It's no different than someone buying a busted old Mercedes. You sound juvenile at best and your car reflects it.

Quick Reply: What make those Supra's so fast?