What make those Supra's so fast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:20 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'll say two things about my experience with Supras.

1) Two friends have them, one's busted all the time and held together like a junkyard heap. The other's a bit of a speed nut and has stripped the interior and such down like crazy, to the point his instrument cluster is held in place by zip ties. My '01 'vette, untouched, weighs less than his 'stripped out' Supra.

2) There is a running gag regarding Supras:
Q: What's the difference between 600, 900, and 1300 hp Supras?
A: Nothing, they're all 13 second cars.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 AM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 83 Posts

notice that most of those videos are from a roll. they have big turbos and from a roll, the lag isn't as noticeable. watch some videos from a dead stop and it'll be a different story. look at how much lag this one has

Last edited by 99FRC Newb; 03-17-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These Supra threads are coming up a lot more now.

There are plenty of cars that you can MAKE faster than a Corvette. Hell you can youtube videos of Civics beating Vipers. Stock for stock C5s walk Supras all day and that doesn't even include C5ZO6s.

What makes those Supras so fast? Deep pockets.

-Alex
Old 03-17-2012, 02:36 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by flaagan
2) There is a running gag regarding Supras:
Q: What's the difference between 600, 900, and 1300 hp Supras?
A: Nothing, they're all 13 second cars.
Welcome to 1999 internet jokes.

Originally Posted by 99FRC Newb
notice that most of those videos are from a roll. they have big turbos and from a roll, the lag isn't as noticeable. watch some videos from a dead stop and it'll be a different story.
If a Supra is "laggy" from a dead stop, it is the driver's fault. A driver who launches the car properly will launch extremely hard. Sticky tires and a good clutch? Yep...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Sftw6UyFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaM1qCc7SCc
Old 03-17-2012, 03:14 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Maybe I am wrong but it seems like they can make more power per cubic inch then our LS engines can.

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:18 PM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, there is really no mystery to it, there is a very reasonable explanation for everything.

I owned Grand Nationals for about 15 years, when you want to make a forced induction car faster, it is easiest to think of your engine as a air machine, and the the quicker, and more efficiently you move more air through your engine, the stronger it will be.

Turbos for the most part are the most efficient form of forced induction, super chargers spend too much HP moving the belt, and blower.

You also must understand "atmospheres", or pressure, or boost. One atmosphere is ~14.7 psi, and that is what we walk around in, and what the pressure of air is inside our normally aspirated engines.

Cars like my GN came from the factory making ~14.5 pounds of boost maximum, so at full boost, there was ~two atmospheres of pressure inside the manifold, going into the cylinders, making a 231 cu inch car produce power roughly equivalent to a car with 462 CI, as far as air going in and out.

I had friends that raced with over 30 pounds of boost, which is over three atmospheres of pressure, or 3 Bar i think.

Now this is a fundamental way of looking at it, and the way the car is set up, and what it can handle, has much to do with it, but if you are setting a car up for boost, it is a complete different method than setting it up a normally aspirated one.

The Supra, is over engineered, and from what i understand, able to take quite a bit of boost, even in its stock form, while the GN, although a great car, was engineered to do the most it could with a passenger car block.

Also, as the gentleman above me said, if you do not think you can make a turbo launch REAL HARD, you just have no experience with one, GN's just needed a loose torque converter, and a driver that new what he was doing, and they came off the line like they were shot out of a cannon.

Last edited by phinfan; 03-17-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Because the guys driving the Corvettes need the driver mod.
Do you guys sell the driver mod?
Good one Mr.Bill!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Kman1971
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by phinfan
Guys, there is really no mystery to it, there is a very reasonable explanation for everything.

I owned Grand Nationals for about 15 years, when you want to make a forced induction car faster, it is easiest to think of your engine as a air machine, and the the quicker, and more efficiently you move more air through your engine, the stronger it will be.

Turbos for the most part are the most efficient form of forced induction, super chargers spend too much HP moving the belt, and blower.

You also must understand "atmospheres", or pressure, or boost. One atmosphere is ~14.7 psi, and that is what we walk around in, and what the pressure of air is inside our normally aspirated engines.

Cars like my GN came from the factory making ~14.5 pounds of boost maximum, so at full boost, there was ~two atmospheres of pressure inside the manifold, going into the cylinders, making a 231 cu inch car produce power roughly equivalent to a car with 462 CI, as far as air going in and out.

I had friends that raced with over 30 pounds of boost, which is over three atmospheres of pressure, or 3 Bar i think.

Now this is a fundamental way of looking at it, and the way the car is set up, and what it can handle, has much to do with it, but if you are setting a car up for boost, it is a complete different method than setting it up a normally aspirated one.

The Supra, is over engineered, and from what i understand, able to take quite a bit of boost, even in its stock form, while the GN, although a great car, was engineered to do the most it could with a passenger car block.

Also, as the gentleman above me said, if you do not think you can make a turbo launch REAL HARD, you just have no experience with one, GN's just needed a loose torque converter, and a driver that new what he was doing, and they came off the line like they were shot out of a cannon.
VERY WELL STATED!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:46 PM
SilentFright
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
Have you gone on YouTube and search Corvette vs Supra?
Those Supra's with their inline 6 cyl. turbo is kicking a lot of Corvette a$$!
Why??
Because boost is king! It doesn't matter how small the engine is when you are cramming the cylinders with 30psi from a monster turbo.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Ona mission
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Welcome to 1999 internet jokes.

If a Supra is "laggy" from a dead stop, it is the driver's fault. A driver who launches the car properly will launch extremely hard. Sticky tires and a good clutch? Yep...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Sftw6UyFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaM1qCc7SCc
They are lauching hard and that is key to lower ET's,great 60 foot times. The corvettes are coming out very soft and that could be a function of gearing, traction and low T on the driver part.

A 12:50 on a car that launches that well doesn't really impress me, it's just not that much quicker then the c5,. It would be nice to see the trap speeds or a least be at the finish to see if the Supra can hold it's own on the big end.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:28 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ona mission
It would be nice to see the trap speeds or a least be at the finish to see if the Supra can hold it's own on the big end.
The top end is where Supras shine. Big turbo + high rpms = uber-high trap speeds.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Since there will always be cars fster than mine no matter what kind of car I have,,,,,, I'll drive America's Sportcar and never envy or bow to anyone!

Besides, ask a kid or a woman,,,Ricer or Vette,,,,nuff said!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:48 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

The interior dash setup on supras are just so damn ugly. especially the center part.

my friend is a big supra nut. had two different ones now. Without mods, its a pretty flat car. nothing special imo
Old 03-17-2012, 08:40 PM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, as shown the Supra is a fast car, with the ability to be much faster.

As far as which cars I liked, that's a different story, I have nothing against them, or against Japanese cars, I drive a civic everyday, and WISH GM would make something as good.

It's all personal tastes, some do not like the z06 body style , I absolutely love it. I would have to say I have a far reaching taste in performance cars, love many of the Porsches, looked at a real 944 turbo S before buying my Z06, and really liked it too.

I ultimately chose the Z, and have no reservations about the choice, and as I am getting older, my stock Z is more than fast enough for me.

Supra's are nice cars though...
Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Besides, ask a kid or a woman
Exactly. Ask either uneducated option.

Ricer or Vette,,,,nuff said!
Ricer? Perhaps you clicked on the wrong thread? This is about Supras.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:49 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rtpassini
The interior dash setup on supras are just so damn ugly. especially the center part.

my friend is a big supra nut. had two different ones now. Without mods, its a pretty flat car. nothing special imo
It's comparable with a 90's C4, but without all the digital crap.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
It's comparable with a 90's C4, but without all the digital crap.
LOL! Not quite. The actual "aim towards the driver" layout is a similar design, but many cars use such a design. The quality and materials used in the Supra are way ahead of the old C4. Hell, I wish my C5Z interior had the same quality feel that my Supra had.

Get notified of new replies

To What make those Supra's so fast?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:57 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Not even comparable. The supras dash and gauges are so outdated its not even funny. the center console is big bulky and hideous. Everytime I got in it I couldn't understand how the same people who made the rest of the car came up with that crap.

the c5 dash and console is a million times better
Old 03-17-2012, 10:01 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

And the targa. just poor design
Old 03-17-2012, 10:08 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rtpassini
Not even comparable. The supras dash and gauges are so outdated its not even funny. the center console is big bulky and hideous. Everytime I got in it I couldn't understand how the same people who made the rest of the car came up with that crap.

the c5 dash and console is a million times better
The Supra came out 4 years before the C5. Compare it to the other cars of it's time. Corvette Interiors have been 'lacking' since about 1968.

Quick Reply: What make those Supra's so fast?