Sponsored by:

Rice burner causes my vette to spin out and crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:23 PM
vette99coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rice burner causes my vette to spin out and crash

I am just now calming down from yesterday's accident that resulted in over $7000 damage to my 99 coupe.

I was traveling on I-81 outside of Carlisle PA around 4PM yesterday. Was in the passing lane going about 50 mph while there were several cars merging onto the highway from an on-ramp to my right. I stayed in the left lane to allow them to merge. The last car (a faded dark colored rice burner) apparently decided to try and pass the two cars in front of him not paying attention to me being on his left side. He continued to come into my lane. I tried to go to the left side of the road but there was a guard rail and I couldn't get far enough over. To avoid hitting the guard rail I tried to get back to the right but apparently his front end clipped by right front end and caused me to spin around causing my right rear end to hit the guard rail and spin me around again. Eventually I coasted to the left berm of the road. I don't know how I made it without any of the vehicles coming behind me not hitting me but I did. Once the car stopped I checked myself and then jumped out of the car to see where the a-hole was. Needless to say he was long gone...hit and run.

Fortunately I wasn't hurt (no air bag deployment). But the vette suffered damage to the front bumper, right headlight assemby, right front quarter panel, right rear quarter panel, and rear bumper.

Also unfortunate...no one else stopped who was behind me who must have seen what happened stopped to provide any details of what they saw or information about the other driver. Nobody wants to get involved anymore. One woman did pull in behind me for a minute but then she took off without talking to me. I was on a busy interstate and I know people behind me would have had to see it happen. They can all kiss my you-know-what too.

The car still runs fine...no odd noises, no engine or radiator damage, no shaking, shimmying, or other unusual things while driving. I think (and hope) that the damage is all cosmetic and not mechanical, etc.

Unfortunately I drove it to the body shop right away and didn't get a chance to take any pics yet.

Of course it's a holiday weekend so nothing's going to get done so far and the insurance company or body shop.

Am hopeful the damage isn't too much that they would want to total my "baby." I've taken care of this car for 8 years and I don't want to lose it and try to find another as nice as it is (was??).

Other than that....everbody have a nice weekend.

Last edited by vette99coupe; 04-07-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: add more
Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

damn....wonder if any witnesses got a tag number?

I hate to say it but if you do have $7K in damages........

glad you weren't hurt
Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

People merging is one of my biggest fears on the highway. It's crazy how some people expect everyone else to just get out of their way and they have the right to your space.

I hope someone gota license plate or description of the car that did this to you.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

This news sucks - sorry about your car, but glad you are OK. Best of luck with the repairs and again, hope someone got a tag number and reports it to the police.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:00 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Sorry about the car, but explain again how his front end clipped your front end when you were moving back to the right. I'm trying to picture it but it seems like one or the other had to be the back end.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:18 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Man, we are really sorry to hear about all this.

In that you don't have tag numbers and stuff, you will be on your own insurance. Really sucks, I had three "uninsured motorist" claims on just two of my vehicles in 6 months. YUK

Good luck, get her all straightened back out and enjoy. Life can happen sometimes.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 PM
vette99coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was traveling in the left lane he was in the right lane beside me and heading into my lane. I tried to avoid him by going further to the left but there was a guard rail on my left so I couldn't get away from him. I didn't want to hit the guard rail so I tried to keep away from it. As I did, his right left bumper apparently hit my right front bumper/quarter panel and that caused me to lose control and start spinning. The rest happened so fast I don't really know where he went. All I know is that I spun around counterclockwise and the rear right of my car hit the guard rail to my left and spun me around again till I coasted to the right berm of the road.

Later that day my wife and I drove to an overpass that's right above where it happened and the tire marks on the highway confirm how my car went as it spun around, etc.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:33 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

of course he didnt stop but chances are he didnt have insurance either so you would still be in the same boat
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Sorry about the accident, but I'm glad you weren't hurt.

I see it all the time down here in FL. I've seen jacked up 4X4 trucks launch off the expressway entrance ramp over three lanes of traffic into the far left lane on a regular basis. I know there are laws on the books against moving more than one lane over a X-period of distance but I've never seen a LEO hit the lights over it. I really wish they would issue more tickets for this type of driving vs. the boring 10 MPH over the limit when no one else is on the road. However, like everything else, the LEO has to be there to see it and most of these road cowboys wouldn't pull off their stunts with a LEO in the rear view mirror.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:45 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by vette99coupe
I was traveling in the left lane he was in the right lane beside me and heading into my lane. I tried to avoid him by going further to the left but there was a guard rail on my left so I couldn't get away from him. I didn't want to hit the guard rail so I tried to keep away from it. As I did, his right left bumper apparently hit my right front bumper/quarter panel and that caused me to lose control and start spinning. The rest happened so fast I don't really know where he went. All I know is that I spun around counterclockwise and the rear right of my car hit the guard rail to my left and spun me around again till I coasted to the right berm of the road.

Later that day my wife and I drove to an overpass that's right above where it happened and the tire marks on the highway confirm how my car went as it spun around, etc.
Did you mean rear left bumper maybe? You can see how this would be confusing in court?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:51 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,232 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I was traveling in the left lane he was in the right lane beside me and heading into my lane. I tried to avoid him by going further to the left but there was a guard rail on my left so I couldn't get away from him.
Same thing happened to me last week while in my daily driver. I was in the left lane to allow the feeder ramp cars to merge on to the right lane. Some lady didn't bother looking to her left, and she just merged alllll the way across both lanes and was headed straight for me. Fortunately, I never considered moving further to the left as you did---I simply jammed hard on the brakes and let her pull in front of me, avoiding any accident. I am surprised that wasn't your first reaction as well.

I did, however, get a chance to pull up next to her, flip her the finger, and give her the "you crazy bi@&%" gesture.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:59 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm sorry for your accident, and wished someone would have stopped to help you. I'll pray you can recover and find peace and not let the offender cause you anymore grief. Thank God you weren't hurt!

I'll also add here in East Texas it's common knowledge that if you get hit, they'll run, if the their car/truck/donkey can't run....they will as fast they can. It's the RARE accident they don't bolt and show a Drivers Lic and Insurance. BUT only the legal citizens do that.

Last edited by sfc rick; 04-07-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:19 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Too bad someone that saw the wreck wouldn't step up and tell what they saw. Somebody has to have a tag number or something!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Fast20
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That totally sucks. I think I would have chased the car and at least got a plate number if the vette was still drivable. $7,000 would be questionable as a total loss for that car in my state.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:27 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Too bad someone that saw the wreck wouldn't step up and tell what they saw. Somebody has to have a tag number or something!
In honesty though, many could have expected that it was just a spin out, and no direct contact made.

Shame that no one saw the contact and reported it. Any info on the make/model of the car?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel for you. Im familar with that stretch of I81. We take it every year to Corvettes at Carlisle in August, as well as on other occasions to visit relatives.

I had a simalar luckily for me, near miss last year on 83 on the way to York, just inside Harrisburg city limits, right by Bass pro shops.
This a--hole pulls into my lane without even looking,right in front of me. Fortunatly, traffic was heavy as usual, so i was able to swerve into the left lane and avoid him. Hate that stretch of road. Anyway, best of luck, and dont let it ruin your Easter.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

It doesn't sound like the op stuck around for a police report. With about $7k in damage, California requires a report be made. Sorry the sob did not stick around. good luck on the repair.

Get notified of new replies

To Rice burner causes my vette to spin out and crash

Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 PM
AmethystVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try placing an ad in the local papers or on Craigs list for some information related to the crash. Maybe someone who saw the accident see's the ad and calls you. Worth a shot.

I was rear ended in Phoenix one night on I-10 while going 60 mph. Totaled the Caprice I was driving. We both stopped, he stumbled out, looked at his car and asked me why I hit him. He was obviously drunk by his actions. I was asking him if he was OK as I was memorizing his plate number. Doesn't the guy get in his Honda, all steaming and leaking fluids and hauls azz! I had my Grandmother with me so I got back to my car and limped off the x-way and called an ambulance for her as she was early 90's and I wanted her checked out. The police caught up with the guy after a few days and surprise, surprise, he had no insurance!

Hope they catch the guy! Good luck with your repairs. Time to go wide body?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A few bullet holes in the rice car would make it easier to identify. Glad no one was hurt!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am just now calming down from yesterday's accident that resulted in over $7000 damage to my 99 coupe.

I was traveling on I-81 outside of Carlisle PA around 4PM yesterday. Was in the passing lane going about 50 mph while there were several cars merging onto the highway from an on-ramp to my right. I stayed in the left lane to allow them to merge. The last car (a faded dark colored rice burner) apparently decided to try and pass the two cars in front of him not paying attention to me being on his left side. He continued to come into my lane. I tried to go to the left side of the road but there was a guard rail and I couldn't get far enough over. To avoid hitting the guard rail I tried to get back to the right but apparently his front end clipped by right front end and caused me to spin around causing my right rear end to hit the guard rail and spin me around again. Eventually I coasted to the left berm of the road. I don't know how I made it without any of the vehicles coming behind me not hitting me but I did. Once the car stopped I checked myself and then jumped out of the car to see where the a-hole was. Needless to say he was long gone...hit and run.

Fortunately I wasn't hurt (no air bag deployment). But the vette suffered damage to the front bumper, right headlight assemby, right front quarter panel, right rear quarter panel, and rear bumper.

Also unfortunate...no one else stopped who was behind me who must have seen what happened stopped to provide any details of what they saw or information about the other driver. Nobody wants to get involved anymore. One woman did pull in behind me for a minute but then she took off without talking to me. I was on a busy interstate and I know people behind me would have had to see it happen. They can all kiss my you-know-what too.

The car still runs fine...no odd noises, no engine or radiator damage, no shaking, shimmying, or other unusual things while driving. I think (and hope) that the damage is all cosmetic and not mechanical, etc.

Unfortunately I drove it to the body shop right away and didn't get a chance to take any pics yet.

Of course it's a holiday weekend so nothing's going to get done so far and the insurance company or body shop.

Am hopeful the damage isn't too much that they would want to total my "baby." I've taken care of this car for 8 years and I don't want to lose it and try to find another as nice as it is (was??).

Other than that....everbody have a nice weekend.
This is a case where agreed upon value would have made sure your car was fixed with no problem from the insurance company.

Quick Reply: Rice burner causes my vette to spin out and crash