Smooth and Quiet

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Smooth and Quiet

I have to make a correction to things I've said about my my last couple sets of tires, that wasn't tire noise or road noise I was hearing, it was the wheel bearing hub assemblies.

Kudo's to David Maus Chevy for excellent work and care of my '01 vert. I'm beginning to wonder about David Maus and his dealerships and their attitude toward service, because if the rest of his dealerships are anything like this new Chevrolet dealership he just opened about a year ago, then he has discovered the way to do dealership service business and treat customer's and their vehicles like it was their own. I started off with a few minor things, each time I was simply blown away by the way the treated the customer, are reasonable and will work on pricing, and the quality of work is exceptional. If you are in the central Florida area, I certain recommend them.

Amazingly, they were more than happy to do the procedure using my new supplied part and still provided an excellent rate for the labor, and all this catering of customer service.

I decided after getting to the point of removing the rotor mounts several times and examining what I had facing me and the room I had to work with and I just decided to pay them a few hundred to change the rear wheel bearings instead of me doing this particular job. I've done just about every maintenance and repair so far exceptions are like tires and alignments, etc., the maintenance job I did two weeks ago was replacing the compressor and accumulator of the AC system, that was a pretty good task to handle but separating ball joints and tie rods using home methods and then trying to reseat them, I deciding on this one I'll let the younger fellow's do it and they have the special tool to seat the joints. And a lift!

So, driving away from the dealer Saturday afternoon five hours after dropping it off, it was as if my Corvette was new again, I'm just amazed and simply blown away at how bad my hubs had become, OMG the difference is just incredible. Zero noise, let me repeat, Zero Noise from the rear. These near new Nitto NT555 (non run flats) I put on a few months ago I thought they are no more quiet then the worn Michelins (and with non-faulty wheel bearings I wonder how much more quiet the Michelin's A/S ZP and PS2 ZPs are) but it was the wheel bearings I was hearing not tire noise. Now it is so amazingly quite and I'm wondering am I driving a Cadillac or something.

No more vibrations.

No more whop whop whop sound.

No more growling "road" noise coming from the rear.

Just purely smooth quiet wheel operation.

The funny thing, I knew something was wrong I just could not put my finger on it, did all the fluid maintenance on the transmission and rear end, did the servicing of the spindle nuts, changed tires, nothing. People kept saying your hearing things.

Had the alignment checked since I was still on the original factory alignment Friday, fronts were perfect rear's were out. That explains the early wear of the rear's.

So it was narrowed down to wheel bearings. I had a new set ready to install, but changed my mind on the DIY and said let Maus Chevy do it.

Oddly the wheel bearings did not show the typical wear symptom of any play or movement when raised off the ground, no unusual noises until you hit 20mph. Then OMG here comes the whop whop whop sound and the vibration at 45 was pretty strong coming right through the steering wheel as it kept getting worst.

I'm really happy to have found a dealer I can trust and who is standing by the customer and performing exception service.

And my Corvette is operating as quiet as a brand new vehicle wow, freaking nice!!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Great story and it is nice when you find a shop, even a dealership, that you trust with your car. I know I trust my dealership with mine - there are some good ones out there.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Glad you found one you're happy with.

One thing though, you forgot to say where they're located, in case others may want to check them out.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry central FL is a big swath of land coast to coast LOL, they are located near Heathrow/Sanford FL (north of Orlando).

I'm really a PITA customer especially with the Vette, so this is a big deal for me to be happy with a dealer.

I just can't get over how smooth and quiet it is. I'm like a kid on Christmas day.

Get notified of new replies

To Smooth and Quiet

Quick Reply: Smooth and Quiet