Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed vs automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 AM
sircampsalot2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love a manual shift but i rather the Auto myself, It really depends on the mood i'm in and what I'm doing that day in my car. If I'm wanting to go around Sporting and taking off fast from red lights and such I'd rather the manual that day...If i'm just wanting a cruise around restful day i'd go for the Automatic
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
ttz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have manual in my Z06, and auto in another fast car of mine. I can tell you the manual is 1000% more fun to drive. I thought about swapping to auto in the vette since its now twin turbo to help with racing, but there's no way I'd give up the fun of just street cruising with manual. Much more fun than just sitting there pushing one pedal and doing nothing else. A car like this, I don't get how anyone could want an auto unless its a daily driver or dedicated race car.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:08 PM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Manual...because people will make fun of you for having an automatic Vette.

I had a 94' Formula with a 9" 3200 stall converter that chirpped 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th when it shifted and ran 12s with bolt ons. It was really fast and really awesome but people still gave me crap for it being an auto. Plus I blew up that 4L60E like 8 times. When you feel the slushbox explode that many times you throw in the towel and go with the T56. It's just better.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
How hard was it to learn on the C5 ? I'm in the same boat, I don't know how to drive a stick shift but when I find the vette im looking for I want it to be a manual. I don't know anyone with a manual car to learn on so I would most likely have to learn on the vette
I've driven a couple other manuals since and the vette seems easier to me. The car has so much torque you don't even need to use the gas pedal just learn the clutch release slowly. The car will begin rolling and not die even without giving it any gas. This makes it easy to learn on I think.

Tyler
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT
I've driven a couple other manuals since and the vette seems easier to me. The car has so much torque you don't even need to use the gas pedal just learn the clutch release slowly. The car will begin rolling and not die even without giving it any gas. This makes it easy to learn on I think.

Tyler
Thanks !
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Oldtimer

If you really want to learn how to drive stick, identify where each gear is - the double "H" pattern. Read how to let out the clutch. And then, by yourself, find a quiet street or parking lot and practice. The key is: You want to learn and don't give up!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 PM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
How hard was it to learn on the C5 ? I'm in the same boat, I don't know how to drive a stick shift but when I find the vette im looking for I want it to be a manual. I don't know anyone with a manual car to learn on so I would most likely have to learn on the vette
Probably the best vehicle to learn in would be a diesel pickup. Extremely slow first gear to get you rolling and then its just shifting up from there. I think the vette is just about the same as any other manual car as far difficulty level with the hardest being a big cammed car with a lightweight flywheel, which is what I'm running now. Just remember to stay calm and don't try to rush the learning process.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I really wish I had both built almost exactly alike otherwise. The manual is clearly the superior car for the road course and the auto as a daily driver drag strip car. My C5 was a 6M and it was an absolute blast in Europe!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

DD, auto. Long distance Highway driving, auto (I would hate to shift from 3 to 6, all the time). Only fun driving, manual. Racing, learn to deal with it no matter.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 PM
futuretech
Drifting

My stock A4 has won me a Wally and track championship. In bracket racing we have and error margin of .05 on our dial. The tranny has been super dependable and consistenly shifts on time.. 1000 passes, three engines and the original tranny.

Last edited by futuretech; 04-11-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:55 AM
wingerr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may not be a factor as it hasn't been mentioned before, but is there any difference in the weight distribution between the automatic and manual?
Would the handling characteristics be identical between the two? Compared an automatic with manual Mustang back from 88, and there was a decided difference in the handling, with the automatic feeling more truckish. That was the reason I'm biased in favor of the manual, but maybe that doesn't apply here.
If the weight and distribution is identical on Corvette's implementation then I guess handling is unaffected regardless of choice-
Old 10-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I disagree, but that's an argument that's best settled on a 1/4-mile stretch of road.
and just the opposite on a road course. Manual wins everytime.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

WOW !! REALLY.... 27,000 topics on this particular question.....

Old 10-08-2014, 10:33 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
AUTOS RULE

1. My wife can drive the car

2. I can drive and drink my coffee without the fear of spilling!

3. I can talk on the phone without having to shift gears!

4. At almost 700hp, I can kick the snot out of just about anything without the worry of missing a gear!

5. Manuals are very hard to get constant ET times at the track!

6. Any and all fast guys at the track runs Autos!

SO HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM APPLES!!!!
Could not have said it better myself sir! I started drag racing in 1963 and can attest that in most cases an auto will be superior on the strip! I used to love rowing gears [Muncie] in my old "55" Chevy but eventually went with an automatic and never looked back.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

AUTOS RULE

4. At almost 700hp, I can kick the snot out of just about anything without the worry of missing a gear!

You're a funny guy Blitz !!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 AM
schulte26
Instructor

My preference is a 6 speed manual but then again I don't live in the city with stop and go commuter traffic. In my view, manual shifting is part of the Corvette experience. I've enjoyed a stick shift in a C3 and a C5 with a turbo 400 AT in another........Love to shift. However, if you do decide to go in that direction beware of the dreaded C5 first to fourth feature...... NOT a better mouse trap.....something to read up on if you choose to go C5 manual. Learning to drive a 6 speed is a snap.........one trip down the road and you'll be hooked.............good luck !
Old 10-10-2014, 11:53 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I had an M12 6 speed in my boy racer 427 C5. I even put 3.90's in it to accentuate the effect. I loved it!

My C7 has an A6 auto that's been tuned. I want to use this car for trips. I'm not going crazy on this car and I'm trying to limit it to bolt-ons - LT's-CAI-Tune so far. (you bolt on a blower don't you?)
Old 10-10-2014, 12:24 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

AUTOS RULE

1. My wife can't drive the car.....

2. No drinks allowed in the car, cause i might spill stuff all over you when i grab second....

3. NO phones allowed, it's road trip time....

4. At 350hp I can pick my gear and cruise around looking cool....

5. Automatics are not for pink slip races......

6. The guys with the sticks..... give the best girls a ride home from the track...

Quick Reply: 6 speed vs automatic transmission