Sponsored by:

Car will be in the shop for repairs on the 13th

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 AM
theheartbeat
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car will be in the shop for repairs on the 13th

So long story short my rear hatch decided to explode. I had USAA approve safelite to install the OEM glass. Safelite did a fair job; however, they destroyed my hatch weatherstrip. The glass also threw my hatch way out of alighnment, put paint chips all over my halo, cracked my cargo well cover, and broke one of the hatch strut mounts. So i had the USAA guy come and inspect everything. The parts alone are around 500 and the glass itself is almost 1k. They will be cutting me a check for the repairs and if its to little the shop can request additional funds from USAA. Good thing for insurance. Additionally they will be refunding me the cost to have my hatch re-tinted. I hope this all come together nice. My painter deals with alot of vettes.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

We may have to ask any installers whether they have ever installed rear glass in a C5 before. I'll bet front windshield installs are much more common and hence, far less likely to be an issue for installers. I have never heard of such a butcher job on an installation but hopefully, a different installer will make it right for you.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by theheartbeat
So long story short my rear hatch decided to explode. I had USAA approve safelite to install the OEM glass. Safelite did a fair job; however, they destroyed my hatch weatherstrip. The glass also threw my hatch way out of alighnment, put paint chips all over my halo, cracked my cargo well cover, and broke one of the hatch strut mounts. So i had the USAA guy come and inspect everything. The parts alone are around 500 and the glass itself is almost 1k. They will be cutting me a check for the repairs and if its to little the shop can request additional funds from USAA. Good thing for insurance. Additionally they will be refunding me the cost to have my hatch re-tinted. I hope this all come together nice. My painter deals with alot of vettes.

You state Safelite did a "fair" job, but then go on to decsribe a total cluster. If that is what constitutes a "fair" job, I would hate to see them do a "poor" job. I have USAA as well and they are usually very good to work with. I hope it all gets worked out for you.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
theheartbeat
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
You state Safelite did a "fair" job, but then go on to decsribe a total cluster. If that is what constitutes a "fair" job, I would hate to see them do a "poor" job. I have USAA as well and they are usually very good to work with. I hope it all gets worked out for you.
Sorry for the mix up here....

safelite installed the glass ok but they did cut my weather strip.

All the other damage occured when the glass exploded. Safelite did not cause any additional damage other than cutting my weather strip.

Get notified of new replies

To Car will be in the shop for repairs on the 13th

Quick Reply: Car will be in the shop for repairs on the 13th