Sponsored by:

4:10 Gear Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 AM
VETSTYL
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4:10 Gear Install

Is this a good deal? Being done by a Corvette specialty shop.

Using your existing Differential housing, this special includes:

new seals, bearings and races
Performance Motive gear of any ratio: 2.73, 2.93, 3.15, 3.42, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10
Professional Installation Services
Royal Purple Fluids
Custom HP Sales PCM/TCM Calibration

$1595
The following users liked this post:
CDALS7 (08-06-2022)
Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 AM
976booboo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its pretty good. Most new diffs cost between 1,200 and 1,800. To have yours basically rebuilt, serviced, and installed, it is a fair price.

I take it you are talking about a 3.42 diff? If you have a 2.73 you are limited and cannot go to much larger gears.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Does sound pretty good if your existing differential will accommodate the lower gears.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:29 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Okay, this thread seems like the perfect place to ask this question.

I have quite a lot of experience in setting up ring and pinion gear changes, but it was in 4X4's and was many years ago. I totally understand that gear housings will only accomodate certain ranges of gear ratios, so that is not my question. I also used to own an actual Muncie Rock Crusher 4 speed (in a '55 Chevy with an L-88 spec big block, and '59 Pontiac front drop-out third member rear end) and understand the differences between it and a standard M21 (straight-cut gears as opposed to helical-cut, stronger case, etc.).

This being said, I am curious as to just what the differences are between the standard diff. housing and a "3 rib" (?) housing. I automatically understand that they are stronger and more robust, but just what are the actual differences that make them so?

I have 3.15 gears now and really like them and am not planning on building a horse-power monster, but I think that 3.42's would be a lot of fun with a basically stock drive train. I am under the impression that they will fit in the 3.15 housing but am not sure!?!?!? Can anyone help?

DSTURBD
Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 PM
VETSTYL
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DSTURBD

I have quite a lot of experience in setting up ring and pinion gear changes, but it was in 4X4's and was many years ago. I totally understand that gear housings will only accomodate certain ranges of gear ratios, so that is not my question. I also used to own an actual Muncie Rock Crusher 4 speed (in a '55 Chevy with an L-88 spec big block, and '59 Pontiac front drop-out third member rear end) and understand the differences between it and a standard M21 (straight-cut gears as opposed to helical-cut, stronger case, etc.).

This being said, I am curious as to just what the differences are between the standard diff. housing and a "3 rib" (?) housing. I automatically understand that they are stronger and more robust, but just what are the actual differences that make them so?

I have 3.15 gears now and really like them and am not planning on building a horse-power monster, but I think that 3.42's would be a lot of fun with a basically stock drive train. I am under the impression that they will fit in the 3.15 housing but am not sure!?!?!? Can anyone help?

DSTURBD
BUMP for Disturbd
Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

VETSTYL,
That is a fair price in regards to the gear change out.
As long as it is done in a competent shop.

Three rib cases first came off the assembly line on the Z 06's, in the late 01 builds.

You can tell the heavy duty case by the extra ribs across the very top
(running down the middle) of the case.

Here is a picture of one.

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=100_0370.jpg

Last edited by bumble-z; 08-25-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DSTURBD
I am 99% sure that the 3.15 and 3.42 have the same carrier. Ive read it somewhere before. I will try looking more up on this.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:11 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Just make sure they REALLY know what they are doing. These rears are a whole different ball game.I know a lot of competant driveline shops who won't touch them.
I have had a nightmare with mine for the last 6 months. Cost me > $1000 in extra labor.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:30 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
Just make sure they REALLY know what they are doing. These rears are a whole different ball game.I know a lot of competant driveline shops who won't touch them.
I have had a nightmare with mine for the last 6 months. Cost me > $1000 in extra labor.

same has happened with me. my car has been in the shop for the past 2 months because of this... they finished the first install, about 3/4 the way home i got the dreaded "whine" brought it back and they have been doing "warranty" repair now... im hoping to FINALLY have my car back tomorrow... its been a nightmare to put it nicely...
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

4.10 ???

be careful what you wish for.

I have quite a lot of experience in setting up ring and pinion gear changes, but it was in 4X4's and was many years ago.
If you're contemplating doing the ring & pinion swap yourself... I'd advise against it.

For this reason only: It's a bitch to R&R the rear carrier. Many hours and cuss words needed. If you don't "get it right" the first time.... you'll get tired quickly of removing the carrier & reinstalling it again. I'd suggest either paying someone that has specific experience with C5 carriers.... or just buy a totally new 3.42 carrier; which is exactly what I did:
www.tim-yvonne.com/mikemercury/342.htm

I am curious as to just what the differences are between the standard diff. housing and a "3 rib" (?) housing. I automatically understand that they are stronger and more robust, but just what are the actual differences that make them so?
the 3 rib is the same on the inside (volume wise); there are additional gussets/ribs on the outside to increase strength. The 3 rib carrier started being used in MY 2001...

the "3" series carrier (not 3 "ribs"... but meaning the carrier started out with 3.15 or 3.42 gears from the factory) can handle anything, from 3.15 to 4.10 ratios.

Get notified of new replies

To 4:10 Gear Install

Quick Reply: 4:10 Gear Install