Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously, what is the best, no BS alternate seat for the C5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Yep. C6 seats have an air bag in the outer bolster of each seat. All C6s have impact sensors inside each door to activate them in the event of an accident.

I removed them and filled the void with foam which I cut to fit (bought locally from a furniture upholstery shop) when I installed my C6 seats. Also had to swap out the seat belt receptacle as the C5 seat belt will not latch into a C6. Easy swap.
Would there be any consequence to being lazy and just leaving the non-functioning airbags inside the seat?

Originally Posted by benr7132
Thank you. I'm tired of every other thread on this forum being political. Let's stop living up to the grumpy old white men stereotype.

For what it's worth, I love my A4s, but I am not sure they are easier to get in and out of. With better support, I am not sure if that is possible.
Aren't most Corvette owners old? And don't most old people care about politics?

Question on the A4s, I've heard lots of good stuff and have thus been planning to purchase someday. For now, I've been ratcheting the stock belt down nice and tight to hold me in place. How comfy are the A4s on a long road trip?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
benr7132
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111

Question on the A4s, I've heard lots of good stuff and have thus been planning to purchase someday. For now, I've been ratcheting the stock belt down nice and tight to hold me in place. How comfy are the A4s on a long road trip?
Furthest I have gone is 3 hours or so up to Tahoe, and they were fine. A darn sight better than my torn and hard "sport" seats!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:35 PM
jgump
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Read it off the forum already. Just take your time and don't pry off the seat position switch like I did. The C6 switch prys off. The C5 doesn't and I learned the hard way.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Someone commented on my avatar and I acknowledged. Get over it.
There's a problem with your avatar? Don't see it. Really don't see that much politics going on from thread to thread either besides in politics section.

The seats, since the connectors are not compatible between the two gens how difficult was the wiring hookup for C6 seat into C5?

Darion

Old 09-08-2012, 01:07 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by mre1974
What about the electronic connections? Did you have to replace them so that they would function?
Since I was changing out the entire seat, including the base, yes, plus I was going from a manual seat to a power seat. Fortunately the car is pre-wired so all I had to do was find the correct wires on the C6 seat for all the functions (except memory, which I don't have) and hook them up to the C5 wiring harness.
The C5 and C6 connectors-bodies are totally different, so I located the correct C5 style connector-body and pins and then crimped and soldered them to the appropriate C6 wires so everything then plugs into the existing C5 connector, just like factory.

Having a C5 and a C6 seat wiring schematic is a must.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:08 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
There's a problem with your avatar? Don't see it. Really don't see that much politics going on from thread to thread either besides in politics section.

The seats, since the connectors are not compatible between the two gens how difficult was the wiring hookup for C6 seat into C5?

Darion

And, to take it a step further...do you even need to bother with all the hookups? I'm the only driver in my C5 and once the seat is in position it stays there.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jgump
I bought "new" 2010 base model seats for $300 off Craigslist. Then I got rid of the C6 slides, seat belts, electronics, switches, and used my C5 parts. I also added my C5 bladder controls and used the rubber blood pressure cuff fix on all the bladders. I also fixed both sliding seats.

I have to cut some of the leather for the C5 bezel, line up and drill a hole for a bezel screw, and add a little foam to get rid of a crease around the bezel.

I sold the seat belts and slides on the C6 forum and just about broke even since these were all new. Top that.
Sweet!

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
wow....where there's a will, there's a way! Now, the big question: Did you take any pics and do a How-To?
No kidding.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Love my Corbeau A4's!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

And, to take it a step further...do you even need to bother with all the hookups? I'm the only driver in my C5 and once the seat is in position it stays there.
Good point! Sometimes it just pays to keep it simple. I would do the extra wiring but if ya don't need it why bother?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:29 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Would there be any consequence to being lazy and just leaving the non-functioning airbags inside the seat?
Not at all. You can just leave them if you choose but since I was re-covering the seats, I removed the side airbags and mounting brackets while I was there.

If you do leave them, also leave the wiring and the yellow connector alone and just tuck/ty-wrap it up under the seat out of the way. All the yellow connectors have a "shorting bar" made into them which, when they are unplugged, automatically prevent the possibility of a static charge triggering the air-bag, so leave the yellow connector attached and you're good.

Aren't most Corvette owners old? And don't most old people care about politics? :leaving
The politics of a comfortable/good seat and which ones are better, etc, etc are important to everyone.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Or, if you're changing from a power-seat to another power-seat, you can just remove the C6 seat from it's base and attach it to the C5 base. The only things you would then have to fiddle with would be the lumbar air-hoses, and you can splice the C5 hoses into the C6 hoses easily enough. You can also leave the seat-heater wires alone if you don't want to deal with that either. As far as I know, all C6 seats have heaters; at least the C6 Z06 seats I installed did.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Or, if you're changing from a power-seat to another power-seat, you can just remove the C6 seat from it's base and attach it to the C5 base. The only things you would then have to fiddle with would be the lumbar air-hoses, and you can splice the C5 hoses into the C6 hoses easily enough. You can also leave the seat-heater wires alone if you don't want to deal with that either. As far as I know, all C6 seats have heaters; at least the C6 Z06 seats I installed did.
Here's something me and another member on the C6 forum discovered. The mounting holes for both the C5 and the C6 seats are identical. I bought his C6 Corbeau brackets to fit into my C5. We both measured the spacing between the fastening points front to rear and side to side, and came up with identical numbers....pretty sneaky GM!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Since I was changing out the entire seat, including the base, yes, plus I was going from a manual seat to a power seat. Fortunately the car is pre-wired so all I had to do was find the correct wires on the C6 seat for all the functions (except memory, which I don't have) and hook them up to the C5 wiring harness.
The C5 and C6 connectors-bodies are totally different, so I located the correct C5 style connector-body and pins and then crimped and soldered them to the appropriate C6 wires so everything then plugs into the existing C5 connector, just like factory.

Having a C5 and a C6 seat wiring schematic is a must.
I have a '99 FRC so the drivers seat is power but the passenger is not. Someone else mentioned just swapping foam and leathers from the C6 frames to the C5 ones. I may have to look into this further as my seats are showing their age.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Here's something me and another member on the C6 forum discovered. The mounting holes for both the C5 and the C6 seats are identical. I bought his C6 Corbeau brackets to fit into my C5. We both measured the spacing between the fastening points front to rear and side to side, and came up with identical numbers....pretty sneaky GM!
It's one of the reasons the C6 seat-swaps is/are so appealing. No mounting bracket issues to worry about.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 AM
jgump
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's one of the reasons the C6 seat-swaps is/are so appealing. No mounting bracket issues to worry about.
The seat belt stud on the outside gets in the way.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:21 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jgump
The seat belt stud on the outside gets in the way.
You're right, I forgot about that. There's a 3/4" (~) threaded stud sticking out on the outboard side of the C6 seat frame at the rear. That's a simple job for a cut-off wheel equipped Dremel or hacksaw though.

Obviously this would not be necessary if one were to attach the C6 seat to the existing C5 seat-base.

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 09-09-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-09-2012, 09:49 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Yes, and someone ought to tell Corbeau they don't need separate part numbers for the C5 and the C6 brackets!

Get notified of new replies

To Seriously, what is the best, no BS alternate seat for the C5?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Yes, and someone ought to tell Corbeau they don't need separate part numbers for the C5 and the C6 brackets!
Is that because of the different (incompatible) seat belts or mounting point requirements between the two maybe?

Dunno for sure. Never looked into Corbeau's set-up.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:31 AM
Smoke Wagon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you help with my seats?

Originally Posted by B747VET
I met with a custom seat/interior shop guy last month. He does full interiors for major custom show cars. He owned a C5 previously so understands the problems we all have.

He did the custom interior on my father-in-law's Model A rod show car so I'm familiar with the quality of his work. He will modify the foam/frame on the C5 sport seats so that they hold the driver in and have much better comfort while retaining all the power and lumbar features. Doing all that while using high end Italian leather with red stitching and a small C5 logo or the word Corvette on the upper seat and a matching leather console lid for about $2200.

That is probably how I'm going to proceed.
Can you tell me the name of your interior guy and his company? I am from SD and I have an 01 Vert like yours and I need some seat work.

Thanks, Dan
Old 07-28-2016, 03:59 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
Can you tell me the name of your interior guy and his company? I am from SD and I have an 01 Vert like yours and I need some seat work.

Thanks, Dan
Dan..this thread is almost 3 years old.

If you click on the user name a pull down appears and you can send him a private message.
I also just did that and checked for more posts by him....see's like he hangs out in the C7 section, so he might have bought a new vette by now.

Pm in your case would work best.

Good deed for the day done already, and welcome.

Quick Reply: Seriously, what is the best, no BS alternate seat for the C5?