Sponsored by:

power windows wont work, gotta wiggle harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 AM
killertiller
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default power windows wont work, gotta wiggle harness

So windows wont go up or down , either side. Even when i hit the button to release the convertable hatch. That makes the windows go down automatically. So i grab the wiring harness from door to body and move it all around and finally windows worked. I did a search and few people said it was a bad connection at bmc. I thinking mines a bad wire in the spot i am grabbing. Is there a chance that by moving the wires it making the connection at the bmc good for a second? Or is it in the harness. So if anyone has had same problem do u have to take door apart to get to connections? Or can i just peel off the black take from harness in that spot n find bad wire and repair it. What color wire would it be if anyone knows?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Tuscany
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that grounding is sometimes problematic (e.g., loose connections where ground wires connect to frame, etc.), but I don't have any firsthand experience with grounding issues or with the symptom you've described.

Last edited by Tuscany; 09-12-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a diagram of the grounding points.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM
killertiller
Instructor

Thats alot of grounding spots to check. It working now so next time it happens i goin to see if everything in door is dead. If so i go with bad ground, if its just windows i will assume its a bad wire i guess or in the plug. I leavn for vacation in few days so i pray i dont get stranded with windows down for the week. With my luck it will rain, lolol
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM
don37
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

here's what you do

on passenger side door, open up accordian conduit

inspect very closely the female plug after un plugging.

you may notice that female sockets are splayed too much. focus your attention on th sockets associated black wires. remove one at a time to close the excessive gap.

dont remove all sockets at once without drawing diagram or snapping foto

try this with driver side

ask me how i know........
Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM
mighty mousd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second checking the plug.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 PM
z 0 4 life
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest way is under the passenger side lower dash-
you must unclip the lower dash and get at the harness that goes to the pass door.

There's a wire that's missing insulation on the end of it. It's a wire with some clear tubing on it.Put electrical tape or liquid tape on it. Try to locate this, it saved me from the pass side electric not working
Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 AM
killertiller
Instructor

Thanks guys , as for now im not touching it until i get back from vacation. I seem to open cans of worms at the wrong time, lmao. But if it happens while i am on vacation i think u all got me on the correct path.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

one of the wires in the wire loom in the door henge is grounding to the frame.

pull the rubber out and inspect for exposed wire rubbing your frame.

see Bill's post below

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...n-long-25.html

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Your Ground connectors will come apart. If you have to find another person and have them grip the black plastic connector while you use a pair of vise grips to grip the metal grounding tang.

There are TWO small plastic retainers (one on each side) that need to be released using a small screw driver. While prying on the plastic loops to release clips,,,,pull and wiggle the ground lug.

If its that tight, its probably corroded in place. There designed to be tight but NOT so tight that they wont separate.

As for the door wiring harnesses, there should be ample harness to do all the cleaning you need to do. the extra wire and connectors will be tucked inside the door frame area. Pop both ends of the accordion tube loose and it will make life simple:

Once you get the connector in the open, separate it and look for corroded pins, loose connections or bare wires.

This is doable, you just need to give it a chance.

BC

BC

Last edited by Got uid0; 09-13-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To power windows wont work, gotta wiggle harness

Quick Reply: power windows wont work, gotta wiggle harness