Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Victim of the "Tail of the Dragon"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad no one got hurt. The Big man was looking out for both of you. We all make mistakes, we are human. Let's be thankful that the bikers mistake did not cost more than a little front end damage.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

As others have stated; glad both parties are ok. The material things can be replaced.

Based on the pictures, the motorcyclist is inexperienced. (probably been riding for 20 years but has only amassed 10,000 miles of riding). I don't think the rider dragged any hard parts (frame, mufflers, etc) on the ground to cause him to lose control and have to right the bike. Maybe he caught a peg (which swivel) and got startled. If he were experienced, he would know that a dragging peg is not the end of the world and would have made a minor adjustment or decided to drag through the rest of the curve given the circumstances of his surroundings.

I have photos of me in the same scenario riding my Goldwing and it looks like I'm dragging but I'm not. My Goldwing has less clearance for lean due to it's girth, highway boards, and floor boards sticking out. I would drag (done it before) a floorboard if necessary to complete the turn. I actually practice dragging floorboards on the ground in a parking lot so I know what it sounds and feels like as well as know the capabilities of the machine. (I'm by no means a pro)

This rider had target fixation. He stopped looking through the curve and looked straight at the Vette. He didn't even apply his brakes until after departing his lane. He also didn't maintain braking once initiated. My assessment...Pure panic due to inexperience.

I congratulate the OP for not losing his temper and beating the day lights out of the motorcyclist. I'd be upset but wouldn't do it either. Material things are just that...material things. I would however make certain I was properly compensated for my property and wouldn't settle for anything less.

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 AM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Sweck
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I too am really glad all are okay! I've been riding 45 years and agree with Stingraymyway and 3sACROWD. The rider wasnt looking through the curve...the bike will go where you are looking...in other words...what gets your attention, gets you! I still lead a large MC group and encourage the riders to do the ERC (Experienced Rider Course). Ive riden the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles) on a couple of occasions. The safety hardline is to not drag parts (dont over ride the bikes limitations or your own). That being said, I too drag the folding parts from time to time. Notice in the pics that Im looking through the curve while my bride of 38 years is comfortably looking around. I believe this is the same curve in this accident.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by SL1D3R
How fast were you both traveling?
Judging from the photos, not very. The vette looked like it was going about 25 or so, I mean he stopped it in 3 carlengths while going in the dirt. The bike, probably 30-35, he simply skidded on frame when he leaned it a tick too far. That kicked the rear wheel and straightened him back up. There just wasn't time to fix it from there. He landed within a car length of the car, and stood back up and walked away.

So, what difference does it make how fast? You can tear a panel off one of these backing in the garage...

Speed had nothing to do with this. That bike isn't intended for that sort of road. Just look, Sweck ^^^^ is within 1/2" of doing the same thing.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:22 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

This is being discussed on the Valkyrie message board and one of the members is a personal friend of Ron, the motorcyclist. He says that Ron is a very experienced rider and that this was a moment of distraction that he let get away from him. He had to make a split second decision once he got in trouble and decided to stand the bike up as opposed to laying it down. I have 50k on my current bike and would not want to be in that position on making a decision.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Sorry this happened to you. We've been discussing it in the C6 section as well.
I am on a few motorcycling forums, and they all feel badly for your car...

Someone asked that I direct you to this thread.
http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41945
Old 10-19-2012, 01:55 PM
SL1D3R
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Judging from the photos, not very. The vette looked like it was going about 25 or so, I mean he stopped it in 3 carlengths while going in the dirt. The bike, probably 30-35, he simply skidded on frame when he leaned it a tick too far. That kicked the rear wheel and straightened him back up. There just wasn't time to fix it from there. He landed within a car length of the car, and stood back up and walked away.

So, what difference does it make how fast? You can tear a panel off one of these backing in the garage...

Speed had nothing to do with this. That bike isn't intended for that sort of road. Just look, Sweck ^^^^ is within 1/2" of doing the same thing.
I was curious about the speed, because I also ride motorcycles and have never encountered a corner that was too sharp.

Maybe it's because I ride sport bikes, not cruisers.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM
NOLAVette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GBsC5Vert
Damn! You heart rate must of went sky high after that! That was brutal! Glad you are OK.
It definitely took me a while to stop shaking. At first I thought it was on fire because of the smoke and powder from the air bags. Both of them deployed.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It's hard to set up for a corner with one arm up, waving at the camera. You need counter-steering to navigate a curve.

You also need to be looking THRU the corner, at the apex. Not to the opposite side, at the cameraman...

The rider leaned, drug hard parts, braked, causing the bike to stand up, then he got target fixated on the car, and went where he was looking.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:11 PM
NOLAVette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SL1D3R
How fast were you both traveling?
I had slowed dramatically because of the approaching very sharp curve and because I was wondering what he was gonna do after he crossed the double yellow line. You can see that I had moved to the right side shoulder to try to avoid him and to try to give him some more space to make the turn but he seemed to straighten out of the turn and aim right for me.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:14 PM
b.lee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy riding the motorcycle must have about 1 week experience on a bike.

How the hell....

He should quit riding while he's still alive...
Old 10-19-2012, 02:23 PM
dizzysn
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport
Sorry this happened to you. We've been discussing it in the C6 section as well.
I am on a few motorcycling forums, and they all feel badly for your car...

Someone asked that I direct you to this thread.
http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41945
Just read through that. Man he got F'D up! Hope he comes out ok!

"A messege from his wife, Mel

Jeff is now stable but still in critical condition. Injuries he has sustained include fractured skull at frontal lobe and orbital area, missing four front teeth with torn lip, facial reconstruction in the future, broken C1,C2,T3,L2,L3 and L4, broken ribs on both sides and collapsed lungs with lacerations to liver and kidney"

Edit: Apparently I didn't read the WHOLE thread. Apparently later in the day the injured guy above that I just quoted about crashed at the same spot due to fluids spilled from the wreck the OP had. Surprised the cops/ambulance didn't have someone come clean the fluids up.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:51 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

I agree that a bike in control will not scrape. On the road, I rarely scrape but in a parking lot practice I want to learn what I can and cannot do. This way, in a situation that has metal scraping, I know some scraping is OK.

As to the counter steering comment, the rider had the correct hand on the handle bars to initiate the counter steer for that turn. Many riders are aware of counter steering but don’t know how to properly execute it. If you know how to do it, it is amazing how much control you can have over a 950 # motorcycle. It’s like having power steering.

I can understand the desire to right the bike prior to a crash. If a crash in imminent, I too would likely right the bike so I could be on the brakes until impact. His braking was intermittent. Maybe wheel lock-up was involved.

We can all Monday morning quarterback this situation.

I wish the rider a full and speedy recovery.

Last edited by 3sACROWD; 10-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 PM
SL1D3R
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

If he was riding 35-40 mph, it shouldn't have been very difficult to use the brakes and stop the bike.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:55 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by f6john
This is being discussed on the Valkyrie message board and one of the members is a personal friend of Ron, the motorcyclist. He says that Ron is a very experienced rider and that this was a moment of distraction that he let get away from him. He had to make a split second decision once he got in trouble and decided to stand the bike up as opposed to laying it down. I have 50k on my current bike and would not want to be in that position on making a decision.
I would've laid it down. That way maybe you miss the car. Your bike will need repairs but there's a chance you won't have to replace someone's car and sliding is better then flying in the air and landing on your neck or breaking a few limbs.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default counter steering

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD

As to the counter steering comment, the rider had the correct hand on the handle bars to initiate the counter steer for that turn. Many riders are aware of counter steering but don’t know how to properly execute it. If you know how to do it, it is amazing how much control you can have over a 950 # motorcycle. It’s like having power steering.

.[/B]
As a 30+ year rider, and a track rider, I know that he had the "correct" hand on the bars. Not trying to teach. Was just pointing out that he was not prepared for that corner.

Get notified of new replies

To Victim of the "Tail of the Dragon"

Old 10-19-2012, 03:15 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommie
Glad you have the pics.... great proof to show who was at fault.....
Glad to hear that everyone is okay. I'm sure your insurance company liked those pics.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nmacdonald

Poor motorcycle guy needs to learn that where your head is turned is where you'll go. Motorcycle 101. Perhaps he should have just laid it down and took the slide.
Ummmm....no it is NOT motorcycle 101. Or 102,103...
Old 10-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Thumper76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same bike and it is very easy to drag a peg on it. I would've laid my bike over vs running into oncoming traffic. The rider freaked out and made an expensive mistake. Glad to hear all were able to walk away from it. Could've been much, much worse. Even the best riders screw up. Good to have pics to make the insurance settlement easier.

Quick Reply: Victim of the "Tail of the Dragon"