Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Every so often you meet "that guy" at a Car event.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Every so often you meet "that guy" at a Car event.

Guys:

Just makes me laugh every time. I don't claim to know it all for sure. I'm always up for learning new stuff about my car, but some folks have NO clue, but just seem to like to argue that they know more than you.

Were at a local cruise spot with 8 Vettes. All buddies of mine we all hang out together. This C5Z pulls up and parks. I walk over to greet him and say hello. I tell him he has a nice C5Z and ask him what mods he has on it. I could immediately tell from his "attitude" that he was a "jack wagon".

He told me he is pulling 670 or so hp from his LS6. I saw nitrous lines on his motor, but stock intake manifold, and TB from what I could see. I could tell he had a mild cam from when I heard him pull in. I'm not sure if 650rwhp possible with a cam and spray. I asked him what he is pulling on the dyno, and he changed the subject. he went on to say that he never buys a kit for anything. "I do my own work on everything" he says (Very arrogantly,.... kinda putting down anyone that buys a pre-fab kit for anything).

One of my buddies has a full setup C6Z with a LSX block, and the largest Maggie blower you can get. A full E85 setup too ! Pulls 850rwhp or so on the dyno. This "guy" looks at his car and notices the "Lingenfelter" badge and proceeds to arrogantly ask us what does that mean ??? I tell him that its a corvette tuner. He says "I know that, but it MUST mean some sort of package !! ". I tell him that Lingenfetler has multiple different packages they install. He says "NO", that badge must mean something specific.

He then proceeds to tell my buddy with the Lingenfelter car that he should be running Meth , and not E85. Meth would give him more power and so much better setup. We tried to tell him that E85 is mostly alcohol and its better than meth injection. He would have no part of believing that though.

By this time most of the guys have walked off laughing at this guy for being so arrogant and not having a clue.

I walked by his car again and noticed that the power steering fluid cap on his car was missing. Fluid coated the entire power steering reservior. I looked in his car to see if he was there. His wife was in the car and I told her. Even she gave me attitude... Soon after he came back, got in his car and left. I don't think his wife liked him either because she never told him about the power steering cap.

He continued to be the butt end our jokes for the rest of the weekend.

I just don't get people like that.

Toque
Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM
PryOpenUr3rdEye
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque

I walked by his car again and noticed that the power steering fluid cap on his car was missing. Fluid coated the entire power steering reservior.
Toque
Would've loved to have heard his reaction if you would've gotten to point this out to him.

Probably would claim that it is a custom mod that produces 5 extra HP and shaves off 8oz of weight from running without the cap.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe he's pushing a 300 shot through his LS6...or maybe he's an asshat.

My bet is on the later.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I walked by his car again and noticed that the power steering fluid cap on his car was missing.
Toque
My guess is he just forgot to make that part. After all, he was soooo busy making all of those engine parts himself that he must have just overlooked it.

It did make for a good laugh though.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Paul Huizenga
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could tell he had a mild cam from when I heard him pull in.
I'm sure if you asked him, he would have told you it's a 3/4 race cam...
Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy way to shut them up is to ask to race them (dragstrip of course... >_> ).

Though typically I just overwhelm them with knowledge that they give up trying to BS me or others.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I just don't get people like that.

Toque
Was he short? And did he mention that his other vehicle is a jacked up/big wheels truck? = small man's syndrome! That or small brain syndrome!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Birdman
Though typically I just overwhelm them with knowledge that they give up trying to BS me or others.
This guy didn't listen to any of the obviously superior knowledge being presented to him. The guy that owns the Lingenfelter C6 in question knows his engine inside and out, and despite the truth in every fact the jerk sat there and told him he was wrong over and over. There was no way to get through to him.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman
Easy way to shut them up is to ask to race them (dragstrip of course... >_> ).

Next time tell him when and where for the dragstrip and what times the gate opens and how much to enter the car.

But I'm sure you aren't going to meet him at the get togethers anymore....he's already told his ole lady there wasn't any real Vettes that are on the same level as his.

But you knew all along this clown wasn't going to hear anything you guys mentioned..... it's tuff to hear with his foreskin pulled up over his ears.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:00 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I've attended more shows in the last 3 months (since completing my mods) than I have in the last 7 years combined. Unfortunately, I'm starting to realize that there are other Corvette owners and other car guys who think they know it all and often like to talk themselves up in order to feel better.

I had always thought that there was supposed to be some universal bond between car guys and especially other Corvette owners, however I'm finding out that isn't true. I guess even ***-hats need to drive something.

Last edited by MSG C5; 10-22-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

I just don't get the "attitude" that he was better, and knew more an anyone else in our group. Aggressively arguing with everyone that he was right, and we had no clue what we were talking about. We were very courteous to him, and let him speak. He continued to rudely cut us off in mid sentence every time we tried to explain something to him.

I don't claim to know everything, and I'm always listening to what others have to say so I will maybe learn something new. Most of the guys in our group have heavily modified cars, and know what they are talking about thru their personal experience with there cars.

This guy would not listen to what any of our group had to say at all.

We later joked that he must be having a "Roid rage" because he looked like he was on steroids.

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 10-22-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 PM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

There will never be a shortage of arrogance. Owning a Corvette does not exclude us from encountering those with such attitudes. I'm usually the guy who is all ears trying to pick up some good info from those clearly do know, but I already know enough to avoid the smart axxes every time. The thing I never understood was why such individuals feel the need to act that way in the first place...it's false and phoney and there is no worthwhile gain to be had for it. They go through life pretending instead of learning. How they were smart enough to buy a Vette I dunno...

Bob
Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
Was he short? And did he mention that his other vehicle is a jacked up/big wheels truck? = small man's syndrome! That or small brain syndrome!
I think a little of both...

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
This guy didn't listen to any of the obviously superior knowledge being presented to him. The guy that owns the Lingenfelter C6 in question knows his engine inside and out, and despite the truth in every fact the jerk sat there and told him he was wrong over and over. There was no way to get through to him.
I'm glad you were there Ed to witness it. It was taking all of my efforts not to laugh in his face honestly. I tried to be the bigger man and explain this and that to him, but he knew it all already.

Toque
Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by camburger
There will never be a shortage of arrogance. Owning a Corvette does not exclude us from encountering those with such attitudes. I'm usually the guy who is all ears trying to pick up some good info from those clearly do know, but I already know enough to avoid the smart axxes every time. The thing I never understood was why such individuals feel the need to act that way in the first place...it's false and phoney and there is no worthwhile gain to be had for it. They go through life pretending instead of learning. How they were smart enough to buy a Vette I dunno...

Bob
And I'm sure he wonders why our group ignored him the rest of the evening, and he was alone (except his wife with him). We were a group of 8 Vette's all cruising down to the cruise spot together. It was a hoot !

Toque
Old 10-22-2012, 01:31 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too funny. I had a similar situation at the drags down here in Southern Cali last Friday. Among our group of 6 or 7 c5's and c'6s was a young 20 or so year old with a 01 Camaro out of place but unknowingly to himself. Could not stop taking about his car and all the stuff done to it. I heard the same story at least 10 times as he told it to everyone there. "It was basically a Corvette" he insisted. The car could only muster a 10 second pass on the 1/8th mile though. But he was sure that his car was worth more than its weight in gold. It was some special Granetelli edition "1 of 3", like I care. Rare I'm sure, but all mods where factory for this car and he had taken the time to memorize them and brag about all of the pieces that made this a Granetelli edition. Though he only recently bought the car and did nothing himself.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM
SL1D3R
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I've never talked to anybody about Corvettes, other than my friend's dad who has a white 99 with only 8,000 miles.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I just don't get the "attitude" that he was better, and knew more an anyone else in our group. Aggressively arguing with everyone that he was right, and we had no clue what we were talking about. We were very courteous to him, and let him speak. He continued to rudely cut us off in mid sentence every time we tried to explain something to him.
I don't claim to know everything, and I'm always listening to what others have to say so I will maybe learn something new. Most of the guys in our group have heavily modified cars, and know what they are talking about thru their personal experience with there cars.
This guy would not listen to what any of our group had to say at all.
We later joked that he must be having a "Roid rage" because he looked like he was on steroids. Toque
2 to 1 he was young.

Get notified of new replies

To Every so often you meet "that guy" at a Car event.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by cor66vette
2 to 1 he was young.
Id say 40-45 yrs old. Old enough to know better for sure.

Toque
Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by cor66vette
2 to 1 he was young.
Nope. I'd say late 30's to mid 40's.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:04 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

Damn Kids.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Every so often you meet "that guy" at a Car event.