Print Wikipost

Window regulator - How to replace

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Default Window regulator - How to replace

I got the dreaded grinding noise when lowering the driver’s side window. Here is a how-to replace the regulator. The part is a complete unit and is not Vette specific (which means you can get one online for about $50 plus shipping). The job took about 4-5 hours, could probably do it again in 2. (I was very careful to not break the trim or glass!)

1. Lower the window
2. Remove the trim bezel around the door handle
3. Remove the small oval trim panel below that
4. Remove the two Torx-30 screws inside the small oval panel
5. Remove the entire door panel. There are six white fasteners. There is a special tool for this, but a screwdriver and putty knife works OK—just be careful not to break them, then lift the door panel up
6. Disconnect and remove the stereo speaker (OEM screws are 9/32)
7. Remove the large black rain shield and two small ones—use a putty knife and save the covers for re-use. Mine was pretty fragile and I had to spend about an hour repairing it with black tape and RTV.
8. Remove the two square rubber plugs on the bottom of the door
9. Loosen the two 13mm bolts on the lower window bracket, remove the window from the top—it might be stuck to the rubber brackets, just gently peel away the rubber.
10. Use a sharpie to mark the position of each regulator bolt to help install the new unit in the same place; this will help speed up aligning the new one
11. Loosen the seven 10mm bolts holding the regulator (three on the electric motor and one in each corner—the front lower one is removed from the access hole from below)
12. Disconnect the power supply from the regulator
13. Fold up the old regulator and remove from the front of the door—place it flat on the floor and take note of the alignment—this will help get the new one lined up right [mine had a broken plastic POS sleeve near the drive motor which was causing the grinding/binding]
14. Fold up the new unit and install thru the front of the door—this might take a while, it is kind of tricky to get right.
15. I had to file the front lower oval mounting hole about 1/16 to fit the new unit
16. Loosely tighten the seven 10mm bolts—align these to the marks you made earlier and tighten all seven (torque to 89 in-lb)
17. There is a plastic zip-tie keeper holding the regulator cables (in an “X) to the inside of the door—push this into the hole from inside the door
18. Take the switch out of the door panel and connect to test the unit—lower and raise a couple of times to make sure all is well
19. Use the switch to lowest setting—make sure to turn off the ignition and remove the switch before installing the window
20. Install the window from the top—I used the OEM window brackets
21. Loosely tighten the 13mm bolts on the window bracket and make an initial alignment.
22. Hook the switch back up and carefully raise the window to the top and check alignment—adjust the bracket bolts to get it right—don’t over-tighten (torque to 89 in-lb)
23. Lower the window and remove the switch
24. Replace the rain shields and rubber plugs
25. Replace and re-connect the speaker
26. Replace the door panel—align each of the six fasteners before pushing in
27. Replace the two Torx-30 screws holding the door panel
28. Connect and replace the switch from the top
29. Replace the two plastic bezels
30. Have a cold one, ‘cause you just saved $600-900!

Last edited by jcgunn; 10-25-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: error in bolt size
The following 2 users liked this post by jcgunn:
CapeCodCoupe (05-07-2020), tanisdwninit (05-26-2018)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,278 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the write up and pics. Have saved this for future reference.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM
wilkinru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you sir.

When you mean loosen the nut, I think you mean remove :P
Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Thread Resurrection.

I believe I fell victim to this anomoly the very same day I read another thread about it. So, since my window went UP on its own, I won't attempt to test it for sure until I get it back in my garage.

Great write up!! Thank you.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:55 PM
johntc23
5th Gear

Thanks for the write up. Simplified the process knowing what to look for.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:41 AM
tanisdwninit
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Great write up, there are more than a few threads on this topic I found but figured I would add to this one with my experience on my 99 C5:

Grinding noise on passenger side window, also since first day owning car 6 months ago window went down rough.

Bought “autoandart 1552-6161R” from amazon for ~$45 shipped, installed and did not go in easy, bottom screw of window regulator on bottom of door towards rear of car extremely tight fit and also this part made small scratch on the inside of the window tint testing it putting it down before putting trim back on door. Did more testing putting window up and down holding window not to scratch it anymore, motor quite loud especially putting it down.

Finally got it installed, put trim mostly back on to fully test without scratching the window tint anymore and when the window went fully down the window regulator made loud noise and broke stuck down, window would not raise, motor made humming sound. Took all parts off and regulator out and determined that the pulley wire came off the pulley, received full refund from amazon, did not have to return so scrapped it.

Did a plethora of research and learned even if buy AC delco part for passenger side would have to splice and its over $200. Found common ground with part claimed tested to work and fit perfect in C5. Bought “World Power Systems 15781690 - WPR6117RM from rock auto ~$120 shipped, had vette out of commission for ~4 days waiting for part. Installed perfect and easy, window and regulator now quiet, window goes up and down faster than old OEM.

Couple of things that increased my time to install I learned for next time. If you have a 20 year old car like me that has never had the door taken apart i recommend trim removal tools, the trim did not just pull right out for me like on the youtube videos I found. Secondly, I learned for both regulators the glass window bolts on my 99 should be pushed up and then held up while tightened and the 4mm glass adjustment screw on the door side to the rear of the car had to be turned counterclockwise a few turns to adjust the window high enough to go under the weather stripping and to avoid future leaking and wind noise.

Helpful youtube vids:

Tools needed:
  1. 2 - T30 torque star screws - door handle removal
  2. Flat head screwdriver or trim remove (trim removal tools suggested)
  3. 6 - 7mm nuts - speaker removal
  4. 2 - 13mm - window bolts
  5. 7 - 10mm nuts hold motor and regulator on door (one hidden on bottom)
  6. 4mm socket - glass adjustment screw
The following users liked this post:
CapeCodCoupe (05-07-2020)
Old 05-26-2018, 12:36 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Old thread but saving for future reference
Old 10-04-2020, 12:25 PM
TDvet99
1st Gear

Default C5 window regulator when not working

replaced today on a c5 with 15000 miles . Easy if you follow the steps without rush , Also found the cause .

Get notified of new replies

To Window regulator - How to replace

Quick Reply: Window regulator - How to replace