Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If a o2 sensor is bad will it throw a code?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default If a o2 sensor is bad will it throw a code?

I have 90K on my car and starting to wonder if my o2 sensor could be bad. My mpg is starting to decrease and can barely push out 270 miles per tank. I use to get around 315 or so. I only have the two sensors now due to the LG Street LT header install. Would replacing these fix my MPG or do they even need to be replaced since no code is being thrown? Or maybe I could take them out and sand them down to clean it a bit?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:45 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you get the car tuned after the header install ?? Major airflow differences that could change mileage happen with headers and eliminating the second set of 02's. O2 sensors will set DIC code when they finally fall beyond acceptable operation range or fail. They tend to gradually degrade over the life of the sensor, at 90K you are due. NO way to "sand" or clean units, you have to replace, they are not that expensive. IMHO bottom line get new sensors and a quality tune to fix your problems.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes the car was tuned about 3 years ago when I put the headers in. Dyno tune at that. Which sensors do I buy? If I do recall LG recommend to move the rear o2s to the front and do without the fronts. I also have no cats.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:16 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
Yes the car was tuned about 3 years ago when I put the headers in. Dyno tune at that. Which sensors do I buy? If I do recall LG recommend to move the rear o2s to the front and do without the fronts. I also have no cats.
I have LG pro's on mine and I have the rear O2's in front with no rear O2's. The rear's have a heater that warms them up better. The fronts and rears also have different connectors. On mine there is an adapter to plug the rear sensor into the harness at the front position. Take a look under your car and then compare the sensor connector on you car to new front and rear ones to get the O2 that matches what you have on your car. You can compare the connector shapes online by looking up the sensors (I looked at the pictures on rock auto and amazon).

This spring I had an O2 code (P0133) which was an O2 slow to respond. When I replaced it, there were no more codes, but only very little change in mpg or performance.

I have read that they will deteriorate over time and can affect mileage, so it might not be a bad idea to replace them if you have concerns.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To If a o2 sensor is bad will it throw a code?

Quick Reply: If a o2 sensor is bad will it throw a code?