Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It was a short but fun ride - RIP Z06

Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
PHIL MEMPHIS
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd tried to buy it back and put some wide fenders on the rear. Door doesn't look too bad.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Blackened
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At that price, it looks like a good candidate for a wide body front and rear.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
NOLAVette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When my 2001 vert was totaled on the "tail of the dragon" last month I regret not removing the window valet before the tow truck carried the car away for good. I had a feeling it would be totaled and I had plenty of time to get the valet-Damn...another $140.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by dave89gta
For those that expressed interest, the buyback is right about $5800 on it. It's almost worth renting a garage for it (can't keep it at my apartment in that condition). Almost.
Rent a monthly storage unit for $20 per month or so; it'll be much cheaper than an auto storage center would charge and you can work on it there, which is something most auto lots don't allow. I'm betting that you can find used body parts to replace the damaged ones fairly easily, likely even in the same color. If nothing else it's worth buying back just to get the wheels off of it so they can be sold. CCW's can bring you a few thousand dollars depending on style and the tires mounted on them.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Storage unit for $20 a month?

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Rent a monthly storage unit for $20 per month or so; it'll be much cheaper than an auto storage center would charge and you can work on it there, which is something most auto lots don't allow.
Do you mean $200?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mynewluv
Do you mean $200?
Show me where you can find a 10'x20' storage unit (1 car garage) for $20? You're looking at a minimum of probably $75 a month if you can even find one for that cheap.

OP, sorry about your accident. Major bummer. Was your active handling on? Unfortunately, unless you get an agreed-upon or stated-value policy for your car, mods don't mean anything to the insurance company. You gotta pay to play. With that being said, I would still lobby for them to reimburse you somewhat for all the mods, show them receipts if you have to. Doesn't hurt to try. Maybe there is a slight lesson to be learned here by having thousands of dollars in mods (wheels, trans, cam, etc.) in an 11 year old car that you don't have paid off yet.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Buckeye Alex
Instructor

Nooooo!! So sorry to see this man, but glad you're ok. I think about how I should've kept this car at least once a week, guess this will put some closure on that thought.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 AM
dave89gta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Buckeye Alex
Nooooo!! So sorry to see this man, but glad you're ok. I think about how I should've kept this car at least once a week, guess this will put some closure on that thought.
It's a good driver. Unfortunately a few of the parts I hit are hard to come by and really jacked the price up. I was expecting a repair estimate, not a total loss.

__it happens. I had fun with it, learned a lot, and didn't get hurt.

Now get rid of that damn Ford.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:00 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

It's a good driver. Unfortunately a few of the parts I hit are hard to come by and really jacked the price up. I was expecting a repair estimate, not a total loss.

__it happens. I had fun with it, learned a lot, and didn't get hurt.

Now get rid of that damn Ford.
Sorry for you. Your vette has alot of potential. I would buy
back and fix up. Find another insurance company with declared
value---like the Corvette Museum. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, bud I know exactly how you feel. My FIRST Vette I owned I bought on Sept. 29th this year, and I owned it 5 hours before it was totaled. Same deal, bald tires, hard rain, and the inevitable happened. Car was totaled.

I'm not sure who your insurance carrier is, but with my insurance provider let me take some of the mods off of that Vette as long as I replaced the parts I took with originals. In your case, I don't think they will let you take the Trans and some of the hard parts, but if the wheels are salvageable and possibly the exhaust, I'm sure you can take them with you, if they are replaced with original.

Also, I'm not sure what you owed, what the mileage of the car was, and again, who your insurance carrier is, but on the 2000 FRC I made out great! I was paid over $7k more than what I bought it for!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:35 AM
ErMaK
Racer

Ouch! That really sucks. Sorry for your loss.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 AM
dave89gta
Instructor

Originally Posted by 427ZM
I'm not sure who your insurance carrier is, but with my insurance provider let me take some of the mods off of that Vette as long as I replaced the parts I took with originals. In your case, I don't think they will let you take the Trans and some of the hard parts, but if the wheels are salvageable and possibly the exhaust, I'm sure you can take them with you, if they are replaced with original.
I told the guy yesterday that I'd be taking parts off the car if they weren't going to adjust the value. His response was "That's your decision." I think he was just tired of talking to me, but I'm definitely keeping it in mind.

I won't make out nearly as good as you did, even if I sell the car. I'm just looking to break even at this point.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 PM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the insurance side of the deal is a process that is thought to deal with. The adjuster I dealt with was great, and as I stated earlier, he told me i could take my wheels and other smaller items as long as I replaced them with original items, which is exactly what I did. I bought some craigslist thin spokes, took it to the holding yard the car was in and switched them out.

All the insurance carrier is concerned with is the value they will receive at auction. As long as that is not effected, they are good.

I know as far as mods go these days carriers are getting more stickler about making you report them up front in order to get credit for them in a claim like this.

Hope all turns out well.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:18 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Bummer!

Get the agent on the phone and show them the Receipts for the added parts!

With a little pursuing you should be able to have the insurance cover the cost of the add ons - this happened to my buddy in his Z06 and the insurance had to include the add ons and cover them since it uped the value of the Vette!

On your next Vette make sure you get the NCM insurance from the Corvette Museum and get an "AGREED" upon value and you will be set - and then "IF" you do any more add ons you can adjust the value with them!

After what happened to my buddy and what he went through, I asked Triple AAA to do an agreed upon value with the Vette and they would "NOT" - so I went immediately to NCM and got it insured with them (I even left the Vette in the garage until it was covered from NCM)

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Kehraus
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

on bald tires.......
Proper maintenance is important with these cars.

Thank god you or a bystander weren't injured.

I bet that was LOUD.

Last edited by Kehraus; 11-22-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 PM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '16

Is it at Richey Collision? They might buy it back,plus Karen will fight your Ins. Co.! L8R ZFLASH
Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 PM
dave89gta
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZFLASH
Is it at Richey Collision? They might buy it back,plus Karen will fight your Ins. Co.! L8R ZFLASH
Yes, it's at Richey, they've been great. I don't think they're interested in the car. Karen gave me some great advice though for dealing with the insurance co.

Get notified of new replies

To It was a short but fun ride - RIP Z06

Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 PM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '16

Yes, it's at Richey, they've been great. I don't think they're interested in the car. Karen gave me some great advice though for dealing with the insurance co.
I thought I saw it there,what color is your interior? Buy a cheap set of damage wheels from a junk yard or Richey,then take off your CCW's since the Ins. doesn't care. I wish I had the $$ right now, I would love to put your engine/tranny in my '55 Ford pickup . L8R ZFLASH
Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 PM
SPDKNGG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear dude...glad your ok.

Were the CCW'S damaged?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 PM
dave89gta
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZFLASH
I thought I saw it there,what color is your interior? Buy a cheap set of damage wheels from a junk yard or Richey,then take off your CCW's since the Ins. doesn't care. I wish I had the $$ right now, I would love to put your engine/tranny in my '55 Ford pickup . L8R ZFLASH
I'm still waiting to get the final word on the car with regard to the mods. I'll do what I can with the wheels, etc.

The interior is black. And I know what you mean, my brother has a 2nd gen Camaro that he'd gladly put an LS6 into. But he's 1200 miles away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It was a short but fun ride - RIP Z06