Sponsored by:

Scared, don't know what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 AM
menacebysociety
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared, don't know what to do.

So, I am thinking about trading in my 2000 for a ZL1 Camaro. The thought, sort of pains me. I put LT's, full exhaust, intake and tuned out a 355rwhp. I love this 'vette...I would love to get this ZL1. I have a history of Camaro in my past. I feel a barrier that's hard to break, here. I don't know what to do...the other option is get a ~'06 Z06, which I would love, as well.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

get the Z06 or stick with what you have! Oh and breathe man breathe!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Gitusum
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 AM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The ZL1 Camaro is a nice car...................but it's not a Corvette.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

The new Camaro does nothing for me. I don't get the appeal of a car that is higher and heavier than a Corvette.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 AM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by menacebysociety
So, I am thinking about trading in my 2000 for a ZL1 Camaro. The thought, sort of pains me. I put LT's, full exhaust, intake and tuned out a 355rwhp. I love this 'vette...I would love to get this ZL1. I have a history of Camaro in my past. I feel a barrier that's hard to break, here. I don't know what to do...the other option is get a ~'06 Z06, which I would love, as well.
I gotta tell you man , I would not get rid of my car for anything period ....
With that being said my DD pays off soon ... And we are considering purchases the 2012 ZL1 ... If you have not test driven one then you should , they are Nasty .... But to get rid of my car just to have one no I gotta go with the others on this.....
Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 AM
menacebysociety
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gitusum
I think this said it best. Maybe I should just let my "high" of being on the ordering page rest. I don't think I could ever forgive myself in the end. Thanks, for the punches.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 AM
menacebysociety
Intermediate

Originally Posted by James2002z06
I gotta tell you man , I would not get rid of my car for anything period ....
With that being said my DD pays off soon ... And we are considering purchases the 2012 ZL1 ... If you have not test driven one then you should , they are Nasty .... But to get rid of my car just to have one no I gotta go with the others on this.....
I will definitely go try one out...I think that is part of my scared...I will want it too much.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at the Camaros when they first came out. First off 4000#+ car. Second I'm 5'10" and when I sat in it, even with the seat almost all the way down (car had a sunroof), my head brushed the headliner. Third, with the high beltline and short roof, I felt like I was looking out of a pillbox or a gunport. VERY bad all around visibilty-you can't see the ends of the front fenders, much less guess where the rears are. And pricing on the ZL1 is "strong" at best, and there are no discounts. I can get GM Supplier and it's not included. For the money for a new ZL1, you could pick up a really low mileage C6 Z06, or probably a new Grand Sport depending on options and your ability to haggle. I thought about it but when I put everything together it didn't make sense to me-even a ZL1. But then again some people like blonds and others brunettes. My $.02.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Get the Z06, and, lose the comas.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

There seems to be a pretty consistent message here - - certainly the Camaro is nice, but the uber-plastic interior and horrible rearward visibility were deal killers for me. Having had every generation of Corvette- there's nothing in the Camaro performance that 'wows" the driver more than a C6 Vette.

I'm not sure if any of the car rental agencies rent Camaros, but try and spend a weekend with one and deal with the visibility and relative anonymity of the Camaro- I think you'll stick with Corvette.

And if you're simply bored with your C6- it's understandable. I had mine for 5 years and one day just decided I needed something else. Try the Z - - it'll knock your socks off and you'll wonder why you considered anything so mundane as the Camaro.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by jcsperson
The new Camaro does nothing for me. I don't get the appeal of a car that is higher and heavier than a Corvette.
Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
I looked at the Camaros when they first came out. First off 4000#+ car. Second I'm 5'10" and when I sat in it, even with the seat almost all the way down (car had a sunroof), my head brushed the headliner. Third, with the high beltline and short roof, I felt like I was looking out of a pillbox or a gunport. VERY bad all around visibilty-you can't see the ends of the front fenders, much less guess where the rears are. And pricing on the ZL1 is "strong" at best, and there are no discounts. I can get GM Supplier and it's not included. For the money for a new ZL1, you could pick up a really low mileage C6 Z06, or probably a new Grand Sport depending on options and your ability to haggle. I thought about it but when I put everything together it didn't make sense to me-even a ZL1. But then again some people like blonds and others brunettes. My $.02.
^^^^ This (these)

As a one time or present owner of 16 F Bodies, I can say that if the new Camaro's were free, I would prefer the 4th gen. Btw, they are not free. Virtually all the ones I've seen have been backed into something due to bad visibility, and the paint and stripes suck. Peels off and falls off, if it isn't already banged off. I guess GM is new to paining cars I'd come completely unglued if the paint fell off my new car at any price, much less those.

My next door neighbor has a 2010 V8 version and a 73, and I'd take the 73 hands down vs that pseudo pickup truck thing. Funny thing, he feels the same.

Get the C6Z... 10x the car for less money. It'll probably smell new too.

PS, I prefer brunettes...
Old 11-24-2012, 11:21 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You going to get a mullet and live in a trailer park? If not get the Z06!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

If you are so hesitant and uncertain, then stick with what you have. It's got to be like finding the right girl - you'll just know. If you don't just know, then it's not the right one.

I do not care for the Camaro at all - its looks are almost a caricature of a cool-looking car. Then there's the whole weight and price things. Seriously, if I wanted a sporty coupe (i.e., a back seat), I'd go Mustang (or Lexus or BMW).

But I think you've got to go drive the Camaro and see if it is the right one, if you just know.

Good luck!

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. They did a study on it.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a new 5.0 Mustang; problem solved BAM!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I would stick with your current Corvette or move into the Z06 if that is what you truly want.

I liked the retro Camaro when it first came out, however the excitement soon faded. Now with all the performance and add-on appearance packages, it looks bloated and sits like a truck. They can drop as much HP in it as they want, however it still will not fix the weight problem.

The current Mustang isn't much better. I liked the older model from a few years ago before they rounded out the rear bumper.

I know the retro fad was popular for awhile, however I think it's time both the Mustang and Camaro to move forward in design.

Last edited by MSG C5; 11-24-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Agreed, I liked the idea and the somewhat fresh design but still bothers me in certain areas for long term retainability.

Get the the Z06, definitely a ar worthy in any circle, and for extra grins a nice 69 SS Camaro, you will be the envy of all Chevy enthusiasts everywhere!!

Good luck!

Last edited by BACNBLK; 11-24-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Scared, don't know what to do.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

This:

NEW Blacked Out Finish. Available with V3 Si-Trim Self Contained Supercharger only. Includes injectors and fuel system upgrade.
The A&A Supercharger kit brings you dramatic increases in power while not degrading everyday drivability or highway gas mileage! The system utilizes a large blow off valve that remains open at cruise and light throttle. This, essentially, allows the supercharger to “freewheel” under normal conditions, reducing parasitic loss to less than that of an alternator.
A naturally aspirated engine would require higher compression, a very aggressive camshaft, high flow cylinder heads with heavy duty valvetrain, exhaust headers with free flowing exhaust, larger throttle body, high flow intake manifold, free flowing air filter housing and duct, etc. Most of these parts are NOT emissions legal. The price of these components alone is higher than a supercharger system. The labor to install these is also much higher. Then there are the inherent problems brought to the vehicle by such a build. A large camshaft all but ruins everyday drivability AND gas mileage. Driving in traffic becomes a very trying experience. A stick shift car will buck and surge and an automatic car will be hard to hold back because of the increased idle speed required. Low speed torque is reduced with an aggressive camshaft which will require lower differential gearing and a high speed stall torque converter (automatic cars) to make up for it. This further degrades drivability and gas mileage. With all the components required for a high performance naturally aspirated car, the degradation in drivability and gas mileage, the total inability of the vehicle to pass emissions tests and the added expenditure, the vehicle would STILL have up to 100HP less than a stock Corvette with one of our standard systems bolted on.
Average increase TO THE REAR WHEELS is approximately 175 RWHP! No other modification, in this price range, even comes close.

I'm not implying you have to use the A&A system but put on any supercharger system on your current Corvette and that will put a huge smile on your face
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez

If you're talking about a 2011/12, ZL1 Camaro with a curb weight of 4120 pounds....

I'd stick with an 06-Z06. The 06 Z06 officially weighed 3180 pounds..(?)

The 2013 Z06 is said to weigh in at 3175 pounds...

Performance wise, my opinion, Z06!! But you gotta do what YOU wanna do....
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

I have not driven a new Camaro, so I cannot speak from experience.

Everyone I have talked to complains about the visibility issues. To me, that would be a deal killer. Driving in metropolitan cities with no visibility is not something I want to consider.

I was a Trans-Am guy for most of the 90ties and early 2000s. That is practically all I owned until my 2000 was totalled (due to a stupid Tractor-Trailer driver) in 2005. I loved them and the 2000 + models drove very well.

Since there were no more Camaros or Trans-Ams, I bought a Crew Cab Silverado, looking forward to the comeback of both the Camaro and Pre- Pontiac demise, the new Trans-Ams. Tried the new GTO, but found that I did not want a Gran-Am with a strong engine. The GTO was a no go for me.

When the new Camaro's came out, I was sure that would be my next car. However, looking for a new car bought me to try a Corvette. Had no intention of buying a Vette, but found a great deal on a low mileage 2000 Coupe. I was talked into trying it and that was the end of my search. Bought it, loved it, and told the misses, I MUST have a Corvette in my garage from now on.

I am now on the second Vette, after finding a super duper 2003 Z06 with 20K miles. Since I am partial to the C5 sexy lines and curves, I decided I had to have this car. Now it occupies the space where the 2000 sat.

In my opinion, no car under 100K has the stiking good looks, performance, and sex appeal of a Vette. When you drive one, you are instantly noticed. You feel that you are not only driving a car, you are driving an experience.

I am really trying hard to keep mileage off the Vette (for potential resale purchases), but it is HARD. I sit days working and riding my little commuter car to and from work wishing and longing to be in the Vette.

Driving a Vette is exciting, thrilling, and just a blast to drive. As a former Trans-Am enthusiast, loving everyday I drove them, I have to say, the Vette is just a better overall experience.

Call it pride, the desire to fall back to my Kool days, or whatever, but I just cannot see myself without a Corvette. Perhaps if I win the lottery and can buy a Ferrari or Bugatti, that opinion might change. However, as a upper middle class middle-aged want to be teenager, the Vette feels like having an affair with a beautiful young woman that the wife can approve of.

Quick Reply: Scared, don't know what to do.