Sponsored by:

Help with Auto X my Vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:10 PM
01VetteVert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Auto X my Vette

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays.

So my question is, and I have done some research and found some good ideas, of things to do, but I haven't found something that focuses on prepping a Vette for Auto X. But I will continue to look.

What things are you guys doing to your vette when you decide to Auto X it? I have always been a drag racer, and I have a 10 second Turbo Fox body for that. But I have always love taking turns and what not, just never had a car until I got the vette I felt was worth competing in any races. Of course I am novice no matter how good I "think" I am. But I do practice a lot

So let me share my current setup, and what I plan on doing to her over the winter, then any suggestion you have for prepping her, let me know, example z06 brake cooling mod, maybe sway bars, bushings anything like that, brake pads? rotors? anything I want o hear all ideas, simple to extreme.

So current setup
2001 Convertible Automatic 25k miles
-Factory z51 suspension package
-3:15 performance years they call it
-Cold Air intake
-Corsa Catback
-ECS tune
-160 stat
-Bear Rotors
-Upgraded brake pads, just don't know what. They were on there when I got it. So let me hear what the best ones are, I might just replace so I know what they are.
- The rest of car is stock Vette

Things I bought that I am installing over Winter
- LS6 Texas Speed stage 2 heads
-Custom Cam spec'd by Pat G
-Long Tube Headers
- Might change out my Vortex cold air intake9 I have seen ones that get better power faster you go, so maybe I would be better with that)
- Under Drive Pulley
-New oil pump, head studs, lifters, all the **** that easy to do when your doing the head and cam swap.

So let me know what else I should do? Brakes, suspension? Trans cooler, oil cooler. I only drive this car on nice days, and it wont be like a dedicated auto X car, just a fun street car I can race when I find a event. I know with my mustang (which is also a vert) I had to do a lot to re-enforce the chassis, is this needed on the vette? do they make stuff for it? My mustang needed ALOT of work to handle better, entire front K-member control arms, coil over conversion, front and back, rear control arms, trourge arm, The list goes on and on LOL

Well- Hey thanks for readying my novel, I cant wait to make this beast even better. I can never leave good enough alone LOL

Oh also- I am running factory tires, what should I be running?

Last edited by 01VetteVert; 12-02-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

on a lot of autocross courses you won't get out of second gear. the cars aren't half bad to autocross stock and the majority of time will be found in your driving skills. you typically won't need more power but could benefit from

1. tires. is is by far #1 run the most aggressive tire your class allows. if you're in a street class on stock wheels the bridgestone re11 will probably be the tire everyone is on. if you change sizes, there are more choices

you might shave a small bit of time with a hot street pad like the hawk hp+ or something from carbotech like the AX series pads. autocross typically is not that hard on brakes though. a one minute heat with top speeds of 65mph isn't all that bad

suspension wise, drive the course and see what the car is doing. also keep in mind that if this is a street car you probably won't like race car type spring rates that bounce your head into the roof

z06 springs and sways with koni sport shocks would be a hot street package. it would ride like stock and the rebound adjustment will give you some control over under-over steer. personally i shy away from a lot of the suspension "packages" vendors offer for most any car. a LOT of shocks are all made in tawain these days. shock dynos aren't available and you have no idea how long they will last. koni has a lifetime warranty which is a big deal since racing speeds the demise of shocks. you also don't know what the car is being "tuned" to with these pre made packages. some folks like more/less under-over steer.

you can also address this with ride height and alignment which brings up another point. get the firestone lifetime alignment and when you run the car set it up with somewhere around -.10 toe out each side up front and .05 toe in out back. you can play with these settings to find where you're happy. the front toe out will assist turn in and help get the car around the cones, out back toe in provides stability
Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM
01VetteVert
Instructor

Originally Posted by racebum
on a lot of autocross courses you won't get out of second gear. the cars aren't half bad to autocross stock and the majority of time will be found in your driving skills. you typically won't need more power but could benefit from

1. tires. is is by far #1 run the most aggressive tire your class allows. if you're in a street class on stock wheels the bridgestone re11 will probably be the tire everyone is on. if you change sizes, there are more choices

you might shave a small bit of time with a hot street pad like the hawk hp+ or something from carbotech like the AX series pads. autocross typically is not that hard on brakes though. a one minute heat with top speeds of 65mph isn't all that bad

suspension wise, drive the course and see what the car is doing. also keep in mind that if this is a street car you probably won't like race car type spring rates that bounce your head into the roof

z06 springs and sways with koni sport shocks would be a hot street package. it would ride like stock and the rebound adjustment will give you some control over under-over steer. personally i shy away from a lot of the suspension "packages" vendors offer for most any car. a LOT of shocks are all made in tawain these days. shock dynos aren't available and you have no idea how long they will last. koni has a lifetime warranty which is a big deal since racing speeds the demise of shocks. you also don't know what the car is being "tuned" to with these pre made packages. some folks like more/less under-over steer.

you can also address this with ride height and alignment which brings up another point. get the firestone lifetime alignment and when you run the car set it up with somewhere around -.10 toe out each side up front and .05 toe in out back. you can play with these settings to find where you're happy. the front toe out will assist turn in and help get the car around the cones, out back toe in provides stability
Wow, man great feedback man. Thanks for taking the time to give great detailed feedback. I will starting looking for some of the stuff you suggested.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:50 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A stick shift.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

If you want to spend money do it on tires and suspension.
the C-6 Z06 shocks and sway bars are an inexpensive start.

A performance 'rear end' will be of more benefit than a LS9 engine, engine mods will buy you very little..
Find sticky tires and be ready to adjust tire pressure to match the weather.

Although there are many opportunities to get into high speed events, you gotta do the low speed ones first.
talk to the other competitiors and learn the rule book.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:41 PM
01VetteVert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mynewluv
A stick shift.
yea I know . This car was given to me as a bonus at my company.

So I couldn't choose, but I am not complaining. This thing is going roll after my heads and cam install, and I love the way it handles, so I am like every other car nut, how can I make it Better ? LOL I was looking at the O'Donnell stage 1 kit I Think it was, but as mention above sometimes they are setup for something your not looking for, enough I did read a vette web article about that kit, seemed good kept nice road manners and made improvement when being pushed.

Are the vette autos that bad for auto x? If so maybe I should just focus on making a well handling street car.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 PM
01VetteVert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phanni
If you want to spend money do it on tires and suspension.
the C-6 Z06 shocks and sway bars are an inexpensive start.

A performance 'rear end' will be of more benefit than a LS9 engine, engine mods will buy you very little..
Find sticky tires and be ready to adjust tire pressure to match the weather.

Although there are many opportunities to get into high speed events, you gotta do the low speed ones first.
talk to the other competitiors and learn the rule book.

Thanks man. I will take it easy start at low speed ones, I am deff getting better tires, and brakes. I was thinking maybe sway bars and springs and struts for basic bolt ones to get started.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

I'm not sure why but in the auto x I've seem near my summer home the Corvettes are beat by Miata's with four bangers. It's embarassing enough to have Corvette owners stay away
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
I'm not sure why but in the auto x I've seem near my summer home the Corvettes are beat by Miata's with four bangers. It's embarassing enough to have Corvette owners stay away
it's a driver sport. i had an integra type r that also could run faster laps on a cone course than a stock c5. that's a 200hp 2500lb car with an 8500rpm redline and a tight gearbox.

it was simply an easier car to drive at the limit and your line of sight was improved greatly versus the c5. gearing was also night and day better

that said it's still driving. if i'm running against a guy with no experience it's not even remotely fair.

the miata and s2000 are two of the best autocross cars made. cheap, easy to mod and easy to drive

autocross is just not a power sport. the advice about gears being more helpful than an ls9 is spot on. they are

also i hope the op has a 6spd car, if it's an auto it will never be competitive. just save your money for a miata project car if you want to autocross. well...that or drive the c5 stock and just have fun

the older crx's are also nasty with a build b or k series engine. absolute rockets that weigh less than 2000lbs

if you do start modding i have to stress...don't touch the suspension until you know what you want it to do. guys often do this and slap parts just to buy stuff. when you get to the point that you can say, man i want to dial out some of this understeer {example}, then you can buy suspension parts since you'll have a goal.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

You know we have a Autocross section, try it.
Also go to the SCCA internet site, they have alot of good info.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM
01VetteVert
Instructor

Originally Posted by road pilot
You know we have a Autocross section, try it.
Also go to the SCCA internet site, they have alot of good info.
No I didn't, I did look, I gues missed it on my small *** phone. Getting old . Thanks, I'll get on my laptop and find it and move my thread to there.

Thanks everyone die your reply's great info.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
If it's an SCCA event, they set up the course to be very tight and the smaller the cart, the easier it is to pass between the cones. Miata are great auto cross cars, but when doing a AutoX your competing in class, not against the entire field (except for FTD)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

For a quality brake pad that works from dead cold, take a look at the Carbotech AX6. I will be happy to help you.

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1100°F + (10°C to 593°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures and excellent cold stopping power. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross and has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its outstanding all around performance. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as race compounds in most applications.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Hope for a more open course than a tight/twisty one. Otherwise the Miata's will spank you

Good advice above.....
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

If you do all the mods you posted you may not be able to run in any auto cross events unless you add a roll bar. Try running your car the way it is now. Seat time will show more improvements. If you really like auto X then add all the stuff.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bimmervet
If you do all the mods you posted you may not be able to run in any auto cross events unless you add a roll bar. Try running your car the way it is now. Seat time will show more improvements. If you really like auto X then add all the stuff.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Originally Posted by Bimmervet

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Auto X my Vette

Quick Reply: Help with Auto X my Vette