Do straight pipes look weird to you?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Pipes...

Here is before and after of mine (BORLA XR-1 installed)

The first pics are with the car at eye level on the lift.
I dont feel it shows anything "ugly"
I like the look and the souond is awsome!
Before someone beats me up for it.. I did fix the one that looks lower than the other....
Attached Images      

Last edited by Johnz02Z06; 12-03-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the back pressure concern is there with straight pipes, but running cats and having an x-pipe makes it an ok setup.

As far as sound, I love it; look, I love it. My comment "Who cares" to the OP means that if you like it, why do you care what others think? Everyone on here will give you reasons why you should have gone a different direction.
Well I can tell you, if you ever go FI, then you made the right choice as back pressure is the enemy at that point.

And the comment about having straight pipes automatically making the car have an un-tuned, raspy, power robbing system is not at all accurate. My base model 99 makes 340 at the wheels without headers and just intake bolt on's. That is through an A4 with 3.42's which read low on the dyno. Plus, there is no popping or rasp in my setup. Only drone which I don't mind.
Id say the straight pipes are doing just fine.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Amixamse
Scavenged? Son I don't believe in back pressure and yuppy folks like u like bs overpriced quiet exhaust
Son?
I yield to your obvious years of automotive experience and tenure here on this forum. When I grow up I may think the way you do. Wait a minute.. I use to think like that was when I was 16... Loud and obnoxious straight pipes sound cool !!!but Oh , the Dyno says I lost 8 Hp and10 ft lbs of torque.. but who care the girls think I'm cool. The girls at the Mall.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Obviously you do not know the difference between a well tuned scavenged exhaust system,pulling Evey ounce of horse power from the engine, from a raspy resonance ladened power stealing untuned obnoxious exhaust system.
Kids Like Loud, they don't know what healthy sounds like. Straight pipes sound like polished turds entering the toilet.
I hope I haven offended anyone..

OMG, you have such a way with words, BTW, I could not have said it better.....
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Son?
I yield to your obvious years of automotive experience and tenure here on this forum. When I grow up I may think the way you do. Wait a minute.. I use to think like that was when I was 16... Loud and obnoxious straight pipes sound cool !!!but Oh , the Dyno says I lost 8 Hp and10 ft lbs of torque.. but who care the girls think I'm cool. The girls at the Mall.
when I put my straights on, we had to do lots of dyno tunning, and changes here and there to get it right.

changed out three different sets of LTs, back and forth.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Weird? That would depend on the size of your exhaust plate:

This was a custom install that converted a quad-tip borla stinger to a twin-tip using Borla 4" rolled edge tips.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Default Kids..

Obviously you do not know the difference between a well tuned scavenged exhaust system,pulling Evey ounce of horse power from the engine, from a raspy resonance ladened power stealing untuned obnoxious exhaust system.
Kids Like Loud, they don't know what healthy sounds like. Straight pipes sound like polished turds entering the toilet.
I hope I haven offended anyone..
No offence taken...Call me a kid all you want. Let me begin by saying the OP was only asking about the LOOK of 2 tips vs 4
My Z06 is a daly driver and I was really worried when I put the XR-1 on but I love the sound. My prior post has a befroe and after video with sound...

By the way...
You may want to go to the Dr. if the sound of your turds are like stright pipes...I had to go there you left me no chioce! just kidding. But really to each his own...

Last edited by Johnz02Z06; 12-03-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Amixamse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lose 10 lbs tq with free flowing exhaust? Omfg I'm done posting in here. That's why dragsters run open headers and that's why people with single digit times have cutouts after headers right?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the clean lean look of just the two pipes. I also love my "raspy resonance ladened power stealing untuned obnoxious exhaust system", especially at 150+.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pipes

Funny you'll are talking about this .i drove to Houston this morning anyway I'm in my pickup ,
I somehow got next to a C5 Z I turned down the radio so I could hear the car and with the windows up I thought dam it's pretty angry sounding
So then I get myself on the other side his passenger side and I rolled the window down and to tell you the truth the car sounded wicked I glanced down at the rear of the the car and to my surprise there were only two large tips ...
It had like an old school sounded to it but for sure much louder than I would want ...
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Can some of you typing on your cell phones please wait until you get to a normal keyboard before making your entries to this thread....
Old 12-03-2012, 03:32 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's bad ***!!!

Sounds just like a cup car.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Johnz02Z06
No offence taken...Call me a kid all you want. Let me begin by saying the OP was only asking about the LOOK of 2 tips vs 4
My Z06 is a daly driver and I was really worried when I put the XR-1 on but I love the sound. My prior post has a befroe and after video with sound...

By the way...
You may want to go to the Dr. if the sound of your turds are like stright pipes...I had to go there you left me no chioce! just kidding. But really to each his own...
I don't have polished turds.. I just went to a website that offered the comparison... as you may know, I'm teasing all the kids here who are posturing ... I could care less what anyone does to their car.. the C5 was pretty perfect out of the box, but there is nothing wrong with a little personalization.
IM actually baiting the kids to post so all of us old people can have a good laugh... like its the reason fuel dragsters run short headers, so the "Kid's car is pumping out 1500 HP and is being tuned to handle a 200+ MPH shot done the track in 6 seconds. Must be tough driving to hang out at the Mall with the Mall rats with open headers. Children are dreamers.. there is nothing wrong with that.. I was also a dreamer back in 1953 when I saw my first Corvette at Steal Pier in Atlantic city and 20 years later I would be designing them.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

hmmm saw my first corvette bodies loaded on a truck out side the A.O. Smith plant in Milwaukee WI. Think they were heading to St Louis for assembly.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
5000?? There is nothing like 3000 to redline, ( shift 2-3 ) 4500 to redline, ( shift 3-4 ) 4500 and the rpms climb to redline, ( count: one, two, three) slam on the brakes HARD,( tach drops to 3000) blip the throttle to 4500, 4-3 downshift, blip the throttle 3-2,( the back fire sound of unburned fuel ) and around the corner. Then roll that throttle to floor and do it all over again.

The sound going up the gears, and the quick blips, back fires pop-n-gurgle shifting down the gears. :

Hell my wife can hear me a mile way when I am out bedding in brakes on that long straight road between the cattle farms.

if your looking at the space between the pipes, your not driving enough.

that said, they would suck for normal driving. the noise inside my cockpit, is very loud even at 40 mph. cant hear a cell phone ring. conversations are semi yelling at each other.

so no I would not want them for every day normal public road driving. I had GHL bullets and liked them very much.

I love the sound of my custom straight pipes on my race prepped C5Z. It would be quite loud for normal everyday driving, but it's not annoying loud (for me).

Although, my exhaust does have (sort of) muffler on each pipe before it exists. It has a distinct sound over the rest of the vette's that have straight pipes... it's a little softer/deeper tone to it and isn't as raspy as I've heard others.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Default It's all good

I don't have polished turds.. I just went to a website that offered the comparison... as you may know, I'm teasing all the kids here who are posturing ... I could care less what anyone does to their car.. the C5 was pretty perfect out of the box, but there is nothing wrong with a little personalization.
IM actually baiting the kids to post so all of us old people can have a good laugh... like its the reason fuel dragsters run short headers, so the "Kid's car is pumping out 1500 HP and is being tuned to handle a 200+ MPH shot done the track in 6 seconds. Must be tough driving to hang out at the Mall with the Mall rats with open headers. Children are dreamers.. there is nothing wrong with that.. I was also a dreamer back in 1953 when I saw my first Corvette at Steal Pier in Atlantic city and 20 years later I would be designing them.
I get it...it's all good
Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me guess. The folks that are complaining about loud corvettes are those who drive bone stock corvettes and go 60 mph on the freeway and think they are superior than those who choose to mod their cars? News flash. A corvette is a sports car.. not a Prius!

Get notified of new replies

To Do straight pipes look weird to you?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's summed up now , hell I can't catch a break for having a bra and a windshield logo " it's my car get over it "
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Default Now for something completly different.....

Here ya go...ha ha...Found this in a google search for C5 side pipes...did not find any!
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Johnz02Z06
Here ya go...ha ha...Found this in a google search for C5 side pipes...did not find any!
Good god !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do straight pipes look weird to you?