Sponsored by:

Speed Claims, What to Believe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I'd bet there has never been a "stock" Cobalt (with or without a turbo) that would take a C5. Modified is a whole different story. My modified 91 Eagle Talon TsiAWD 4-cyclinder would leave my near stock 02 C5 in the dust.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 20 years ago I drove a "T" Bucket around on Saturday nights to the local hotrod hangouts. it ran a 327 small block with a "671" blower, 2-4s, 4.56 gears, beefed turbo400, etc...[scarry fast]
There was always some body telling me about his cousins brother, uncle, stepdad etc... who had a [you fill in the blank] that could Blow the doors off my 10.5 second street rod but he was not in town or some other excuse! If you have a nice car corvette, mustang, hotrod or otherwise, Its a magnet for jelous people!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
I'd bet there has never been a "stock" Cobalt (with or without a turbo) that would take a C5. Modified is a whole different story. My modified 91 Eagle Talon TsiAWD 4-cyclinder would leave my near stock 02 C5 in the dust.
The stock supercharged Cobalt ran around 14.5 @ 98, the turbo around 14.1 @ 101 or so.
So you are correct, unless your vette was missing a couple of plug wires, it's faster by far.

I'm not sure why this turned into a stock Cobalt could beat a Vette thread.......
Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

That yellow thing behind my modified C5 was tough to shake:

It had rained all day and the track was still damp and I was sliding around a lot trying to put the power down. I finally had to point him by. He was the better driver and was flogging that little car. It's hard to believe he was in the green group.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson

It had rained all day and the track was still damp and I was sliding around a lot trying to put the power down. I finally had to point him by. He was the better driver and was flogging that little car. It's hard to believe he was in the green group.
There’s no way I’d want to run my Vette on a wet/damp track. Now, saying that, I'll say this, sometimes people will go to great lengths, take awful chances (wet/damp track), just to say they beat a Vette

You did good giving him the track....
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM
colderbythelake
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by torchredmadness
There are alot of cars out there that can beat my '03. But I don't care. I just enjoy driving the Vette to no end. It is a wonderful car in my opinion.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by renegad44
Now, saying that, I'll say this, sometimes people will go to great lengths, take awful chances (wet/damp track), just to say they beat a Vette.
I think that guy was just quicker than me.

Sometimes an instructor in the beginner group will drive the student around to show him/her where to go.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Haxzaw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an example of a "lesser" car being better than a sports car under certain conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0pB_jnLDtw
Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM
crazystevex
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was riding with a guy in his C5Z on a track that lapped an insturctor driving his friends new SS camero that was pretty well built for the track and the C5Z was faster and way smoother around the track then the GT500 Mustang built for the track that I had just got done riding in.

hard to compare something that was designed to go fast to something that was forced to lol
Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson

As I mentioned earlier, the Cobalt SS/SC/TC is quite competent. This is what it was built for.

I own both cars.

Ron
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Haxzaw
I think people need to consider there is a difference between fast in a straight line, and fast in straights and turns. Some of these light cars with loads of horsepower may do great at the drag strip, but get them on a track, or auto cross, and they will most likely fail. From what I've heard and read, these late model mega-horsepower Mustangs do not handle very well in the curves. I guess it depends on what you want; a sports car, or a sporty car. A drag car or a track car, even though the Vette is good at both. Things can get interesting when you tell someone your Vette has 350 HP, and they proceed to tell you how the new Mustang has more than that. In fact some of the current Mustangs have more HP than a base C6, but then you're back to the sports car vs sporty car discussion. Car guys should know what's up, but others just see numbers, and bigger is better.

I've lived long enough to see a lot of cars that are fast and faster than our vette.

But I stand by that right out of the box and for the money invested you won't find many that can handle a C5.

Any car can be made to be faster than it, but give me that money to put in mine, and they are in the rearview.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When you put twin turbos on a vette, it's not even close.
Ask some of the local ricers.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Guess anything is possible with enough money and the right parts. My wife has an '09 Cobalt and can't imagine what it would be like with a TT pushing 25 psi.

Money can do a lot of amazing things, not only will it make a car go fast but enough of it can buy even a small ***** man a lot of love
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Dagget427
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've lived long enough to see a lot of cars that are fast and faster than our vette.

But I stand by that right out of the box and for the money invested you won't find many that can handle a C5.

Any car can be made to be faster than it, but give me that money to put in mine, and they are in the rearview.[/QUOTE]

100%

Quick Reply: Speed Claims, What to Believe?