Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default No matter what you do....

Bad things happen. I personaly would not park taking 2 spaces. Vette owners are already looked at by some as saying "I'm better than you" by just having one.

I was parked in the end spot in a row...when the car next to me pulled out it turned too sharp and crushed my bumper.
Attached Images     
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

I have not taken more than one space in my car for at least 25 years. I choose instead to park far far away and walk. I make every effort not to park near anyone else. Whether it is my beater truck or my Corvette. I just stay away from other cars. Problem is, they don't necessarily stay away from me. I have parked in the lower 40 only to come out and have somebody right next to me.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

That's why I own an airport car, a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 176K on it complete with peeling paint.
Right now it's purposely parked at the airport, next to a guy who tried to take up more than one space in the coveted ground floor parking garage. I never park the Vette in more than one space, been tempted but never do it because some jerk with a 96 Jeep with peeling paint might park next to me
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Dosen't matter how far away...

Originally Posted by Aerovette
I have not taken more than one space in my car for at least 25 years. I choose instead to park far far away and walk. I make every effort not to park near anyone else. Whether it is my beater truck or my Corvette. I just stay away from other cars. Problem is, they don't necessarily stay away from me. I have parked in the lower 40 only to come out and have somebody right next to me.

They will find you...
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
You think you're ****, huh? LOL!! I can top that!! I've made a life-long study of parking lots!! Here's my decision tree - (all in good fun of course)

1) Do I have to take the Vette? No=take daily driver and stop this madness. Yes=go to next step.

1.1) Do not consider any area that requires parallel parking. If this is your only option, go to step 13.

1.2) Does establishment have more than 17 motorcycles parked in front of it? No=go to step 2. Yes= go to step 13.

1.3) Are you are parking in a motel/hotel lot and staying overnight? Yes=call insurance company before leaving car to pre-file a claim, go to END. No= go to next step.

1.4) Valet parking? Yes= go to step 13.

2) Choose parking space way out in lot that is at least 10 empty spaces away from nearest car. If available go to step 3. If not available, go to step AAA.

3) Is this space near a light pole with an operating light? Yes= go to step 4, No=forget this space and go back to step 2.

4) Does this light pole have a security camera mounted on it with a view of your car? Yes=go to step 5, No=forget this space and go to step 2.

5) Are loose shopping carts just scattered around within 20 parking spaces of chosen spot? Yes= forget this space and go to step 2. No= go to step 6.

6) Are there any individuals loitering in the lot and staring at your car?
Yes= go to step 13. No= go to step 7.

7) Park car, set e-brake, lock doors, set security system. Make sure your concealed weapon is printing as you walk away. Do not waste time looking at hot chicks, aimlessly browsing merchandise or the menu, or smelling the roses. Return promptly, determine if car is still there, inspect for vanadlism, drive away. Optionally leave SO or friend in car with weapon while you complete your business. Go to END.

AAA) Identify potential parking space. Is space on the end of a parking aisle and are you feeling bold today? Yes= go to step 8. No= go to step 13.

8) Is there a minivan in the spot next to the one you have chosen? Yes=discard this space and go to AAA. No= go to step 9.

9) Is the car that you park next to have the passenger door facing your spot? Yes= go to step 10. No=discard this space and go to AAA.

10) Is the spot you have chosen have one of those cart return areas within 2 spaces of your chosen spot? Yes=discard this space and go to step AAA. No=go to step 11.

11) Can you see the car from inside the establishment during the entire time of your visit? Yes= go to step 12). No= discard this space and go to step AAA.

12) Can you cheat a little by parking the car on the marked line for the parking space that puts your car farther away from a potential pasenger door strike from the car next to you (don't go so far as to have passing cars potentially collide with yours because you're overhanging the spot into the traffic lane). Yes=go to step 7. No= go to step 13.

13) Leave immediately, go home, lock Vette in garage, get in daily driver and return to establishment, park anywhere. Enjoy your visit.

END
Good advise if not just a touch overkill. It's still just a car!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
This is how I do it and some times get the same results.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Try living in West Texas where all these over-sized pickup trucks and SUVs can't even fit in a space (not that they even try).

Many of these people don't even bother to negotiate a turn at intersections, they just take out a chunk of the curb. Every day I see more concrete parking stops that have been disintegrated by these ridiculous vehicles. I agree that if someone really needs one in their daily work, these "utility" vehicles are justified, but 98% that I see are occupied by only a driver and at best see one or two things thrown in the back per year. I am the only person on four sides of me that even owns a "car" - ALL pickups. Just to make things more annoying they are those rattletrap diesels that sound like they are falling apart - and they think that is "coo"l that it wakes everyone on the block up in the morning. I am afraid that most people now just live to **** other people off.

Driving a Corvette out hear is no fun... just stress. Right turn on red is legal here, but useless in a Corvette as you can't see around or over the vehicle on the left and when you do pull out because you can't see, the monster truck behind you starts honking like a banshee, because he "can" see from his watch tower!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:05 AM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnz02Z06
That's both funny, and not the least bit funny at the same time.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 AM
calivette805
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by James2002z06
Guilty of this...
I'm down in Houston Texas and had to work pretty late , by the time that I got to the Hilton near down town parking at the hotel was out of the question ..
Except for this one a..whole he was taking up two spots with his Corvette
While in my truck I started to bad mouth this guy , and then yeah I caught myself , and said James (and I could hear my wife saying your going to **** someone off by parking your car sideways ) anyway I catch myself because yes I'm very guilty of doing what this pretty Silver C5 owner done.
Tell the truth if you have encountered this while in your daily driver!!!
Houston texas home of the the famous tx2k12
Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 AM
FormerlyFiero
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oldtimer

Just go inside and tell bozo that Bubba is trying to park his 1984 F250 Crew cab out there. (and you kind of smelled beer too)
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
You think you're ****, huh? LOL!! I can top that!! I've made a life-long study of parking lots!! Here's my decision tree - (all in good fun of course)

1) Do I have to take the Vette? No=take daily driver and stop this madness. Yes=go to next step.

1.1) Do not consider any area that requires parallel parking. If this is your only option, go to step 13.

1.2) Does establishment have more than 17 motorcycles parked in front of it? No=go to step 2. Yes= go to step 13.

1.3) Are you are parking in a motel/hotel lot and staying overnight? Yes=call insurance company before leaving car to pre-file a claim, go to END. No= go to next step.

1.4) Valet parking? Yes= go to step 13.

2) Choose parking space way out in lot that is at least 10 empty spaces away from nearest car. If available go to step 3. If not available, go to step AAA.

3) Is this space near a light pole with an operating light? Yes= go to step 4, No=forget this space and go back to step 2.

4) Does this light pole have a security camera mounted on it with a view of your car? Yes=go to step 5, No=forget this space and go to step 2.

5) Are loose shopping carts just scattered around within 20 parking spaces of chosen spot? Yes= forget this space and go to step 2. No= go to step 6.

6) Are there any individuals loitering in the lot and staring at your car?
Yes= go to step 13. No= go to step 7.

7) Park car, set e-brake, lock doors, set security system. Make sure your concealed weapon is printing as you walk away. Do not waste time looking at hot chicks, aimlessly browsing merchandise or the menu, or smelling the roses. Return promptly, determine if car is still there, inspect for vanadlism, drive away. Optionally leave SO or friend in car with weapon while you complete your business. Go to END.

AAA) Identify potential parking space. Is space on the end of a parking aisle and are you feeling bold today? Yes= go to step 8. No= go to step 13.

8) Is there a minivan in the spot next to the one you have chosen? Yes=discard this space and go to AAA. No= go to step 9.

9) Is the car that you park next to have the passenger door facing your spot? Yes= go to step 10. No=discard this space and go to AAA.

10) Is the spot you have chosen have one of those cart return areas within 2 spaces of your chosen spot? Yes=discard this space and go to step AAA. No=go to step 11.

11) Can you see the car from inside the establishment during the entire time of your visit? Yes= go to step 12). No= discard this space and go to step AAA.

12) Can you cheat a little by parking the car on the marked line for the parking space that puts your car farther away from a potential pasenger door strike from the car next to you (don't go so far as to have passing cars potentially collide with yours because you're overhanging the spot into the traffic lane). Yes=go to step 7. No= go to step 13.

13) Leave immediately, go home, lock Vette in garage, get in daily driver and return to establishment, park anywhere. Enjoy your visit.

END
You forgot one.

14) Is the parking lot at the big box store, Home Depot, or the supermarket (any store with shopping carts) not quite level or hilly? If 'yes' always choose a qualifying spot that sits at the peak of an incline or otherwise raised area. On windy days I've seen carts travel though the Home Depot lot slowly descending, hitting some cars and just missing some. Great suspense and fun to watch from your seat in the coffee shop usually located on the property.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Also, you gotta know where these spots are....

Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 PM
ronsrods222362
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD Events Coordinator

I park it as far away as I feel safe. Then some a-- hole parks next to me every frickin' time.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
I haven't done it but it is excusable if it is a Vette

Personally, I'll walk a mile rather than park near someone.
me 2
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I never do it, I have seen it done. As long as there are adequate spaces I don't care how they park. it's a damn parking lot.

My issue is I will park clear across the lot away from everyone. When I come out it seems there is always some yahoo parked right next to me and the whole area around us is empty.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

The only place my car is ever parked is at cruise nights and car shows.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:13 PM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sbulla
Yes, I have encountered this but, absolutley will NOT do it myself.

Sonny

Get notified of new replies

To How many of us are ...

Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Nothing says "I am a complete dick" like purposely taking up two parking spaces with your vehicle (if it will actually fit into a single space).

It is a car. Nothing more, nothing less. If it is you daily driver, like mine is for me, it is going to get battle scars. Do I look forward to them? NO. Do I like it when it happens? NO. Is there any way to prohibit it from happening? NO.

My C5 is my daily driver. My 63 coupe is waaaaaay above driver status and I am as careful as I can be in selection of parking spots but when it is on the highway or in the parking lot it is fair game just like everything else. There are the BMW'S and the like which cost much more than either of my cars in the same parking lots as I am in and in the same danger of idiot behavior and possible damage.

They are all the same, the are just cars.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
I park a mile away if i do have to park the vette somewhere. I'm probably going to get bashed on for this but here goes. I NEVER double park BUT I do have an emergency handicap sign to hang on my car if I can't find a good spot. I'm not handicapped at all ( and admit im breaking the law when doing so) but I will not be comfortable ANYWHERE unless my Z is in a safe place. Call me **** but i love my car.
And as a handicapped person, thanks for taking my spot.

Park at the back of the lot from now on and walk.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I've seen a number of people that either take up two space deliberately or just do a screwed up job of parking that they effectively do it even by accident.

I refuse to do it - I do not want to take the chance of someone getting pizzed off and damaging my car.

Quick Reply: How many of us are ...